Seat slider

unbeam

Silver forum user
CAT Member
Have been cleaning up some seat sliders, that bolt to the floor and support the seats. Drilled out the dimple, removed the rollers, and soaked/blasted/painted them. Still had significant resistance to sliding. Cleaned out any excess paint where the rails meet, and even compressed the narrower piece to slide better. Is there a particular lubricant to use lightly on the rails? It seems that the rubber and metal rollers should actually be carrying most of the weight- if so, do they get any type of lubricant? A little silicone spray perhaps? I also plan to put a rivet or bolt in the drilled out dimple to keep the rollers in place prior to install. Thanks for the help

pfreen

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I just sprayed mine yesterday with silicone spray and it freed them right up.

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Sil-Glyde has always been my choice for applications such as this. The silicone provides a much better lubrication for use such as the seat runners. Lithium grease has a lubrication oil made using a base oil refined from crude versus the lubricating oil of Sil-Glyde using silicone. The big difference between it and lithium grease is that the lithium grease is an ideal product for use on metal to metal applications and the silicone grease is for a wide range of applications where you may be dealing with providing lubrication for different types of products such as plastic or composite rollers sliding over metal surfaces. Other uses of silicone grease is on dental equipment and lab equipment. It's a great product for use on O rings and similar products. Sil-Glyde has a heat range of -20F to +400F. The common name is dielectric grease. The silicone doesn't separate from the thickener as quick as the lithium can.

Last edited:

IvaTiger

Gold forum user
Sil-Glyde has always been my choice for applications such as this. The silicone provides a much better lubrication for use such as the seat runners. Lithium grease has a lubrication oil made using a base oil refined from crude versus the lubricating oil of Sil-Glyde using silicone. The big difference between it and lithium grease is that the lithium grease is an ideal product for use on metal to metal applications and the silicone grease is for a wide range of applications where you may be dealing with providing lubrication for different types of products such as plastic or composite rollers sliding over metal surfaces. Other uses of silicone grease is on dental equipment and lab equipment. It's a great product for use on O rings and similar products. Sil-Glyde has a heat range of -20F to +400F. The common name is dielectric grease. The silicone doesn't separate from the thickener as quick as the lithium can.
And it is clear so would not show it is happens to get on the carpeting

unbeam

Silver forum user
CAT Member
Thanks for eveyone's input. Will go with the silicone for the rollers. David

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I flatten the dimple and later put it back with a large spike while supporting the impact area around the dimple with a small socket. As to the rails binding; I inspect and slide them together without the rolls so to determine what needs bending (gently) until they move without grabbing. The rolls will then nicely support things. Any good white grease or silicon works fine.