Shifting problem

Billm

Silver forum user
CAT Member
My top loader tran had a problem shifting into reverse, no problem with the other 4 gears. I sent the shifter to Bill Heeley vintage Ford Shifters and he went thru it. I set the trans levers into there neutral positions, placed the alignment pin in the shifter levers and tightened the shifter rod nuts. I can shift into 3 or 4. No problem. Can't shift into 1, 2, or reverse. Would any one have any suggestions on what might be jamming this up? I did not remove the trans side levers or change the shifter rods. Thanks Bill

Billm

Silver forum user
CAT Member
Got it! I did not have the 3 to 4 lever in nuetral. I took a longer wrench to it and got the lever to move thru all three positions.

venice532

Gold forum user
CAT Member
shifter

Hi Bill, are you using the straight short shift lever?

When I was first reassembling my car I had some of those same issues until I realized I had spaced out and put the shift lever in backwards with the detent cup and spring on the wrong side.

With the later longer bent levers it's pretty obvious when this mistake is made.

regards
Bob J.

Billm

Silver forum user
CAT Member
Bob thanks for the reply. I have the bent shifter. Now that the 3, 4 shift rod is adjusted right, I can shift. Time to break in a new clutch and flywheel. And the new tires 170r70 13. The car had 215's on it when I got it. Way to big. Bill