Speedo gear question

the_tool_man

Gold forum user
Hi all:

I'm rebuilding my toploader, and need to replace the plastic speedometer drive gear. The car is an incompletely-built Alpine V8 conversion I bought years ago, so everything is suspect. It came with a green, 6-tooth drive gear, which I believe corresponds to "short" rearends, like 4.10 or so. I don't yet know the rearend ratio, but if it's that short, I'll change it to something more civil. David Kee sells three different speedo gears (6, 7 and 8 tooth). I'd like to know which one is correct for a Tiger.

Alternately, if anyone knows of a calculator or ratio chart for making a selection, that would be helpful.

Thanks in advance,
John.

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Plastic teeth

Hi all:

I'm rebuilding my toploader, and need to replace the plastic speedometer drive gear. The car is an incompletely-built Alpine V8 conversion I bought years ago, so everything is suspect. It came with a green, 6-tooth drive gear, which I believe corresponds to "short" rearends, like 4.10 or so. I don't yet know the rearend ratio, but if it's that short, I'll change it to something more civil. David Kee sells three different speedo gears (6, 7 and 8 tooth). I'd like to know which one is correct for a Tiger.

Alternately, if anyone knows of a calculator or ratio chart for making a selection, that would be helpful.

Thanks in advance,
John.

Tiger Drive gear is green. They are not cheap either from Dave or Ford. The driven gear can be upped or downed a tooth or two for fine tuning a mild ratio change. Count the ring and pinion teeth and we can zero in on better math.