Spring compression tool

1949FL

Silver forum user
CAT Member
The bushings on my 1966 A arms are old and at last inspection have started to disappear. I would like to find a decent internal spring compression tool similar to the one in the Tiger FSM Section F page 15. It compresses the spring safely for removal and then I can disassemble my front end to re-bush the A arms. Any suggestions on a tool that can help would be welcome. Note there does not seem to be much room for the 'newly' designed compression tools that fit inside the coil. Suggestions? V.L. Churchill tool RG.50D and RG.50D-2??
And Thanks as always.
Jim

1670638219796.jpeg

IvaTiger

Gold forum user
I used a piece of 1/2-13 thread rod 24 inches long and a strap clamp on the top and bottom a arms Heavy duty nuts. Take out the shock and place the thread rod in its place You may experience some thread distortion and if so use a different section of the thread rod for the other side. Quick simple and cheap.

Theorangetiger

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Those tools aren't necessary to disassemble & assemble the front suspension. With the front of the car on jack stands, you can use a floor jack to control the coil spring. With the shock out you can use the jack under the lower A-arm to slightly compress the spring and disconnect the spindle, either at the upper or lower ball joint and then slowly lower the jack until all of the tension is out of the spring. I like this method because you can control things from a distance.
As always, use caution.

Warren

Gold forum user
Maybe while you are there take out or make a slimmer rubber spring buffer pad for the spring and get the front end a little lower :)

IvaTiger

Gold forum user
I used a piece of 1/2-13 thread rod 24 inches long and a strap clamp on the top and bottom a arms Heavy duty nuts. Take out the shock and place the thread rod in its place You may experience some thread distortion and if so use a different section of the thread rod for the other side. Quick simple and cheap.
When I did mine the front crossmember was removed so the weight of the car could not be taken advantage of like the previous post , but that would work well if it is installed

kbecker

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Maybe while you are there take out or make a slimmer rubber spring buffer pad for the spring and get the front end a little lower :)
Warren can't get to my car now but how much lower is the front after removing spring rubber my tires are 205-60/13 Thanks

Warren

Gold forum user
I'd have to dig them out of the bottom of the toolbox. But they are mostly about 1/2" so about an inch.
I used a cut piece of old fire hose for a little something between the spring and the crossmember.

kbecker

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I'd have to dig them out of the bottom of the toolbox. But they are mostly about 1/2" so about an inch.
I used a cut piece of old fire hose for a little something between the spring and the crossmember.
Thanks Warren a inch lower would be great, I have a old fire hose in the garage

Hoghead

Gold forum user
Warren can't get to my car now but how much lower is the front after removing spring rubber my tires are 205-60/13 Thanks
Half the difference between the stock and replacement rubber
Mustang II ones fot and are 1/2"