Stock 66 Tiger stuck in gear

66Mk1A

New forum user
CAT Member
Help!!
Backing in my driveway after a great Saturday at the OC Cars 'n Coffee

The car is stuck in 2nd gear ( I was going forward, to adjust my trajectory) and now it won't come outta gear. This happened once before, and I wiggled it around and managed to get it back to normal. The t bar has some tension and I don't think it is involved - but I did just come out of reverse. The T bar has always kinda rattled around - normal?? Car is a stock 260 with a stock toploader that was rebuilt a couple of years ago - very little miles.
Anyone have this issue, and where should I go to fix this - it happens at the most inopportune moments..

Steve H

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Sounds like a gear selection issue rather than clutch... Thinking a linkage issue or selector arm is jammed.

Maybe one of the split pins that holds the linkage has caught or come out.. If be looking at the linkage as first port of call...

What happens when you depress the clutch... Will the car roll. Without drive?

Can you get the car in your garage on the level and look at the linkage on the side of thw box?

venice532

Gold forum user
CAT Member
stuck

Steve, Bill Heeley (in the white pages section) rebuilds the shift linkage to better than new condition.

He also reconditions the shifters whether they are the early short type or the bent later version.

You can get the shift linkage out of the car from the underside but it's incredibly fussy. I remember a tiger expert saying that through trial and error it eventually drops out but then the correct orientation is quickly forgotten.

I know this doesn't answer why it's stuck in 2nd but I bet this will be something you will be looking into soon.

Bob

65sunbeam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I had the same problems as you did.
Bill Heeley rebuilt my shifter and now there is no slop or looseness. He does great work!! He also said I had the most worn out shifter he had ever seen....
Have you done the alignment of the shifter as per the workshop manual? Easy to do using a drill bit to line up the linkage.

Warren

Gold forum user
Pin

I too had a pinfall out.
Sometimes when actuating the reverse lock out coming back out of it it will not go into any gear, till I stop the engine and then I can shift it again.
I can remediate with a little lubrication and fresh anti-rust undercarriage treatment. I totally don't envy that job I've seen cars opened up with a can opener to get to the shift linkage.

Maliburevue

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Stuck in the middle with you

You may have tried these ideas already.

I recommend getting the car on level ground, putting the transmission in neutral and jacking up the rearend to get the rear wheels off the ground. This takes any external preload off the mainshaft and gears. Try shifting into neutral.

If that does not work, and you have a limited slip rearend, have someone rotate the tires back and forth to load/unload the reverse gear, while trying to shift into neutral. If you do not have a limited slip rearend, put one wheel on the ground so only one wheel is free and repeat the process.

If that does not work, loosen the nut holding the linkage to the reverse lever on the transmission. This eliminates any preload or resistance the linkage may be putting on the reverse lever. Try moving the reverse lever back to the neutral position with someone rotating the tire(s) back and forth.

If that does not work, loosen all the nuts holding all the linkages to the gear levers on the transmission. This eliminates any preload or resistance the linkage may be putting on any of the gear levers. Try to get all of the gears into their respective neutral position, while someone rotates the tire(s) back and forth.

If none of these suggestions work, it is probably an internal issue. Ford toploaders have a shifter rail detent system that is supposed to allow selection of only one gear at a time and lock out the unselected gears, such that they do not conflict with each other. If the components of this detent system are worn or broken, gear selection may interfere and/or inhibit proper movement.

If any of these suggestions work, realign the shifter linkage in the shifter box, before tightening the linkage to the gear levers on the transmission.

My two cents,

Gary

Last edited: