Stock distributor replacement shaft

pfreen

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I have the correct c40f-12127-a distributor which I am reconditioning, and the shaft is worn. I have tried to source a new shaft to no avail. To reuse the worn shaft would require plating or some other build-up method and machining.
Does anyone know of a source for a new one?

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
You could buy a reman unit from Napa (Cardone) and switch out the guts... they're only $69... at least the last one I bought was. There is a possibility that you might have to bush the original body. NPD also sells the same unit 12127-4A at $59.08, but they have a $100 core charge

The other solution would be to spray weld the old shaft and have it turned

pfreen

Gold forum user
CAT Member
The previous owner had just changed out the distributor with a Autozone replacement so my plan b was to use the shaft out of it.
The bushings are readily available and if not, I would machine my own on my lathe.
They probably don't sell replacement shafts because you can buy a replacement for $69šŸ˜Š

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
The previous owner had just changed out the distributor with a Autozone replacement so my plan b was to use the shaft out of it.
The bushings are readily available and if not, I would machine my own on my lathe.
They probably don't sell replacement shafts because you can buy a replacement for $69šŸ˜Š
sounds like you have it under control!

pfreen

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I just wanted to close this out. So I bought the correct distributor on ebay.
Everything was shot except the housing and vacuum advance actuator. I tried unsuccessfully to buy a new shaft.
I just finished taking the relatively new distributor apart, and the parts are interchangable. I just rebuilt the old original distributor. I did replace the bushing in it which are readily available.
So, the repop distributor parts are the same. I am surprised.

Hoghead

Gold forum user
I have a proper 1964 dual point that I want re-bushed, prior to installing a Pertronix DP conversion
Anyone do this anymore?