Stock fan fouling the steering rack

bernd_st

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Put a stock fan into my Tiger just to find it fouls the steering rack center tube. Pulley /waterpump seem correct. Hmmm. Anybody ever had this problem ? :confused:

Cal44

Gold forum user
B, got any pictures of the offending shroud in place and where exactly it is hitting? I am like a five year old...........I need pictures.

Mike

cadreamn67

Platinum Forum Member
Could be anything that causes motor to sit lower in engine bay and thus to the crossmember, to which the rack is bolted. Broken or sagging (old) motor mounts, missing spacer washers between mounts and block, missing aluminum spacer wedges between cross member and frame (at 4 mounting bolts location) all come to mind as possibilities.

Gene

TigerBlue

Gold forum user
"Clearance" is tight

Checking out our Black Tiger. Late Mk1A, The stock fan installed... feeling the clearance the trailing (rear edge) clearance is thin. Not measured but I estimate less than 1/8 inch by feel alone. Also the tips appear to have touched the steering rack; probably when hitting a bump.

Engine mounts are are about 14 years old.

Not easy to measure the fan while installed but I tried. Between 7 1/2 and 7 3/4 inches? in radius. Center to tip.

bernd_st

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Sorry no pics.
Yes the clearance is tight. My motor mounts and alu wedges are old but there and seem OK. Missing spacer washers between block an mounts - could be . Need to check again. How thick do they have to be ?

cadreamn67

Platinum Forum Member
I am sure the washer size has been published somewhere in the past 40+ years, but I don't have it. My car happens to be up on stands at the moment. I was able to wedge a bit of modeling clay in the gap between the motor mount and block. It looks like the combination of the metal heat shield and washer raises the block about 0.155 inches, as best I can measure. That leads me to think the washer alone must be 1/8 inch (0.125) thick. Hope that helps.

Gene

bernd_st

Gold forum user
CAT Member
As far as I could see today the heat deflector is there but no distance washer. Deflector is rather thin metal so the majority of the 1/8" (thanks for the dimension) is appearantly missing & ultimately making the engine sit low. Hmm need to study more...