Stuck in Reverse

VaCat33

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Hi All

Yesterday I experienced a problem with my gearbox that I had not encountered before. As a heads up, my Tiger is a very early model and is equipped with its original Borg Warner T10 transmission.

So yesterday I go to take my Tiger for a spin. I back it out of the garage and then put the car into neutral. As I let up the clutch the car goes backwards :(. I again try…same result :(. At this point I put it into 1st…same result :(. I moved the shifter in and out of reverse a few times and also put it into 1st again. Eventually, something slipped into place and all was fine. I took my drive without incident, although I did not use reverse. I’ll give that a little test in the garage tomorrow.

I was talking with CADREAMIN offline and we were thinking linkage. I also thought it might have something to do with the T-Bar and reverse lock-out.

Any thoughts on causes/solutions? Talk slowly as transmissions are really getting out of my comfort zone.

If this happens again, is there any immediate action I can take to correct the situation until a more significant repair can take place?

Thanks

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Reversing Fortunes

If the tranny functions fine without any nasty noises, then: Shifter linkage needs adjusting and/or a simple arm bolt snugged. The downside is accessing the thing is a bit tedious. Worst case is the shifter needs removal and re-build. Toy cars are never done and always needy . . . . . . .

the_tool_man

Gold forum user
I doubt very seriously that the internal lockout is broken, or you'd have lots of grinding noise (or worse) from the transmission. If I understand you correctly, you moved the shift lever out of reverse, but the transmission didn't shift. It's probably something loose in the shift linkage.