Tach needle goes to red and back on start up

GPNVCAT

Bronze forum user
CAT Member
Strangest thing happened today. Tach needle went to red and back to zero just before the starter engages. Now it does it every time. Not too big a deal, but why now?
Once it's running, no issues. MFI distributor, recalibrated tach, everything works except that goofy sweep just prior to start up.
Thanks in advance!

spmdr

Gold forum user
CAT Member
The only time I have seen anything like that,

was a bad connection in the high current starter circuit,

causing the starter solenoid to chatter.

DW

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Strangest thing happened today. Tach needle went to red and back to zero just before the starter engages. Now it does it every time. Not too big a deal, but why now?
Once it's running, no issues. MFI distributor, recalibrated tach, everything works except that goofy sweep just prior to start up.
Thanks in advance!
I would guess a grounding issue perhaps to do with feed off igntion or with the starter.

As a side note.. it's now doing the modern start-up routine where the gauge needles dance to entertain people

hottigr

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Is it possible it has been doing this since you had it recalibrated and you're just now noticing it? I tried one of the tach rebuilds with solid state guts- it would sweep the way you described every time the key was turned on. Unfortunately, it didn't like my mechanical dual-point distributor for whatever reason and wasn't accurate, so I had to return it...

GPNVCAT

Bronze forum user
CAT Member
It never did it until yesterday. It got recalibrated by Palo Alto Speedo and works perfect with the MFI distributor. I need to hunt for a loose ground or something. It’s not a bad thing and I do have an email sent to PAS. Will post what I find out.