Tiger Gearbox Assembly Sites

mtnindy

Bronze forum user
CAT Member
All, I preparing a Tiger Tales article and I want to reference the assembly locations/plant for the toploaders.
Same for the Borg Warner boxes.
I've done a pretty complete internet search as well as standard books and haven't located the plant.
Plymouth MI was put forth, but would like concurrence and/or documentation.
Any help pinning it down would be appreciated.,
Cheers
Brian

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
All, I preparing a Tiger Tales article and I want to reference the assembly locations/plant for the toploaders.
I've done a pretty complete internet search as well as standard books and haven't located the plant.
Cheers
Brian
Brian,

While tiger guys are good on the ford stuff....id ask around mustang forums... They are probably a little more up to speed.

Also Ron Fraser.. the tiger engine study guy... He is quite across Ford specific build stuff...or would know who to ask

rfraser

Bronze forum user
CAT Member
I have not looked at the transmission very much. I did see a reference in Hemmings that the Toploader was made by Tremec. If that is correct, they could have been made in Mexico.
Finding good references for transmission history seems difficult.
Borg Warner T10 built in Muncie, Indiana I believe; Tremec has headquarters in Detroit area, but I don't know if there is manufacturing there too.

Ron Fraser

o2bdriving

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Cheers
Brian
Would David McKee be a good source? Seems he's a top loader focused guy.

David Kee Toploader Transmissions, Inc.
Phone: 210-967-4161
Email: david@davidkeetoploaders.com
http://www.davidkeetoploaders.com

BillRo

Gold forum user
I asked a good friend of mine, Stan Rosen, who was a Ford transmission engineer for his whole career, where the top loaders were built and this was his reply:
My old home, the Livonia transmission plant in Livonia, Michigan. One day I took a ramble back into the depths of the plant and found a miniature machining area and a tiny assembly line where all the Ford manual (three and four speed) transmissions were made. I have a lot of good stories about this miniscule factory within a factory which I will share over a beer while enjoying your and Carol’s hospitality.

Bill Rogers

KenF

Gold forum user
Also interesting is the 3 speed toploader was sold to GM, and others, where it was known as the Dearborn 3 speed, to handle the torque of the day. I believe it was the base transmission in 68-69 GTO's, and used other years and models to replace the anemic 3 speed Muncie. Ford's toploader was the best 3 and 4 speed manual made, IMHO.

rfraser

Bronze forum user
CAT Member
Bill if you do sit down with Stan. One question I have is what did the transmission shipping racks look like?
I would like to see a description or picture of them. It would fill in some blanks about how parts were shipped to England and Rootes.
Ron Fraser

BillRo

Gold forum user
MMM Ron, that's asking for a lot - don't hold your breath but I will ask. He is busy fixing his late model track car that his driver put in the wall last weekend.

BillRo

Gold forum user
Question? Were the engines delivered from Ford Industrial to Jensen's with the transmission attached?

rfraser

Bronze forum user
CAT Member
No, I don't believe so. Ford used robust racks and containers to ship parts and assemblies here in the USA; Ford would do the same for Export engines to England - the goal, NO Damage.

Cleveland Foundry - engine blocks and parts cast and assembled, shipment to Ford Dagenham Plant England, engine and parts sent to Humber Plant, Humber installs and modifies Tiger specific parts, Humber ships to Jensen. I believe this is how Ford engines and parts were shipped to Jensen.
I don't know for sure if Humber installs the transmission or if Jensen does. This would be part of the Jensen contract with Rootes and warehouse capacity to store incoming parts and assemblies.

HRS121E

Silver forum user
Ford's own Assembly Order dockets show engines were crated, with transmissions and other sub assemblies 'shipped loose'. (Example below). No firm proof but probably 6 to a crate. Norm Miller's 'Tiger Press - Six Appeal' is a good reference.
Invoiced to Humber Ltd (SO-2632) but if the end of production surplus of 100s of 289s at Jensen is anything to go by then it seems likely the whole caboodle was shipped to directly to Jensens in West Bromwich for pre-assembly. Against this is volume - not sure Jensens had the capacity to store multi hundred engine orders during the MK1 and MK1A production period.

delivery.png

delivery.png

Last edited:

rfraser

Bronze forum user
CAT Member
Thanks for the Ford Assembly Order Form, if you have any other assembly order forms, I'm interested. SO 2631 is indicated on this form which should be the Borg Warner Transmissions.
Ford engine racks that I have seen are 3 engines per rack, racks are stackable which is where Norm gets the Six Appeal.
1694725031834.png
these are Ford Eco Boost V6 but shows stackable racks of 3 engines

mtnindy

Bronze forum user
CAT Member
Brian,

While tiger guys are good on the ford stuff....id ask around mustang forums... They are probably a little more up to speed.

Also Ron Fraser.. the tiger engine study guy... He is quite across Ford specific build stuff...or would know who to ask
Thanks Michael. I have an open dialog with Ron. I'll reach out to Mustang people.