Tigers at Le Mans Classique - Club Run

HolyCat

Gold forum user
CAT Member
STOC included 2014 Le Mans Classique in its events recognizing the 50th Year Anniversary of the Tiger. Those who had their Tigers at Le Mans could sign up for (and, of course, pay for) an opportunity to run their car around the Le Mans track. All of the Tigers were put into one group, along with some other cars. I (not having a Tiger in France) sat up in the grandstands on the right, about 50 feet past the Start/Finish line. Here is a video posted by someone at the event, through the windshield of their Mk 1.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AgAeLj0i7Q

I was told by some of the people who ran their Tigers at this club run that some Porsche 911 ("Rich Man's Imp"?) spun out and slid backwards into a retaining wall, thereby shortening their car by about two feet. And a Jag 140 wound up with an impression in its nose, probably from not being able to stop as quickly as the car in front of it.

Last edited:

Warren

Gold forum user
CNC

Claim not covered. I wonder how their collector car policies cover them I suppose big boy boy toys equal self insure.

cobrakidz

Gold forum user
That would be a great experience to drive that track--I have raced and done parade laps at Sears Point, Laguna Seca and Thunderhill--all fun, but parade laps are supposed to be to get the feel, not go balls out. That's how these things get cancelled......
It was nice to see a Tiger with working windshield wipers--I can honestly say I have never used mine--Rain-X is my friend in the rare chance of rain up here.

HolyCat

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Rain X and Wipers

It was nice to see a Tiger with working windshield wipers--I can honestly say I have never used mine--Rain-X is my friend in the rare chance of rain up here.

I believe the white Tiger was from the UK. If a person regularly drives a car in the UK, he probably needs to have working wipers. In talking with the folks there, most did use Rain X as well. And the way the water rolled off the windshield sure looked like they were using it.

ToyTrainGuy

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Great video! That white Tiger seemed to be moving through the field pretty good. A couple of times there it seemed like it was a good thing his brakes worked well....

hottigr

Gold forum user
CAT Member
There is a nice video of the parade lap at the silverstone classic... they had a tiger 50th parade.... a forum memeber from the Uk with his hotrod MKIi was having some fun... check out at at 3:28 seconds ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MqEB9YmyhI

"Bloody, what's he got in there?!?" I don't know, but I think it's faster than Duke's car- did you hear/see that thing hook up? Sounded fantastic!!

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
"Bloody, what's he got in there?!?" I don't know, but I think it's faster than Duke's car- did you hear/see that thing hook up? Sounded fantastic!!

Tony has a 347 as well... there is a CAT/STOC members tiger heading from USA to UK at the moment that hasd a new heart that also has SERIOUS poke... Duke will have to start tweaking or start re-stroking to keep up.... :D

pushrod

Bronze forum user
The white Tiger is my car, thanks for the comments.

Yes we do tend to use our wipers quite a lot, I live in South Wales on the western side of the UK and it does rain very often.

The motor in the Tiger is still a 260 but recently rebuilt with some performance parts. I'm very pleased with the way it goes and goes and goes..... rev limiter currently set at 6000rpm.

I'll post links to another couple of videos taken from our recent Tiger 50 tour to Monte Carlo.

Lou.