Tigers at Willow Springs 2013

HolyCat

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Cool Video

Cool video - thanks for showing these cats running around the track! I wish I could have been there, too. Looks like the weather cooperated.

David

at the beach

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Thanks Matt!

Now, for what its worth, my commentary
@:37 I appear talking to Tiffany about safety wiring while Claudia preps the driver's area.
@ :41 John Morton is testing the SCF Tiger. We have had some issues spinning the inside wheel and wanted to learn if we're making any progress. We're now cautiously optimistic since John could not duplicate the problem..
@ :50 You can see Tiffany's black helmet as she debuts at open track. The white helmeted instructor is John who graciously offered advice.
@:59 A quick dip into the pits and the roles are reversed.
@ 1:12 Tom Sakai's #65
@ 1:22 Rick Mueller's Tiger Blue
@ 1:50 John opens up Tom's Tiger (note the pass at 2:24)

bt
at the beach

TigerBlue

Gold forum user
I Like

Thanks Mat,

Thanks for posting this! Good 4 me to see and have friends see.

Rick

mrthieba

Gold forum user
CAT Member
At 2:28 you can see Tom's tiger leave some tire rubber on the track. Glad you guys are enjoying my "horrible" video.

venice532

Gold forum user
CAT Member
willow

Hi Matt, thanks for posting your video, after reading your sons critique I was

expecting way less, it's really quite good.

Like Buck mentioned it looked like the weather was perfect.

Bob J.

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Really nice video and good to the see the car s mixing it up. It was interesting to see how much the stock cars bobbed around on the right hander they were filmed going through.. is it really bumpy or that's just how the Tiger rides it? The race cars obviously looked much taughter, but could still see them moving around a bit.

mrthieba

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I don't remember it being bumpy around turn 4, but it's been a long time since I have driven it. I saw the same thing though. Maybe one of the drivers can answer that.

And thanks for the nice comments about the video.

TigerBlue

Gold forum user
Race Car set up

Really nice video and good to the see the car s mixing it up. It was interesting to see how much the stock cars bobbed around on the right hander they were filmed going through.. is it really bumpy or that's just how the Tiger rides it? The race cars obviously looked much taughter, but could still see them moving around a bit.

None of the cars on track were "stock" I do not see bobbing other than the camera shake. There is a remarkable difference in body roll. Both the race cars corner flatter. Some of that is spring rate and some is stiffer anti roll bars front and rear. Only the race cars had rear bars. I think I heard front springs were like 1200 lb per inch. TigerBlue is 800 and stock like 300. Tom's black car seemed to lean the most? but that might be due to the driver's attacking style as much as soft roll stiffness.

The track is not bumpy. That and front suspension geometry is why the race cars have firm springs and anti-roll bars. The Sunbeam suspension geometry is awful for keeping loaded (left front tire in a right turn) front tire's contact square with the track surface. Vintage racers cannot do much to change the geometry but roll stiffness and negative camber help mitigate it.

Rick

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Rick,

the bobbing I see isn't camera shake.. more the vertical body control of the cars as they approach that corner. I have seen similar behavior on the tigers in the video of the Manx TT event. might be the suspension unloading as they crest the rise, might be just exaggerated by the angle of the view.. but to me they seem to bob around.

All looked like a lot of fun though. :D that said.. wait till you drive me soft front in the Alpine ;)

1966Tiger

Silver forum user
I think your video is hardly "horrible". I found it exciting and great fun to watch! You captured a lot of spirit and energy and I felt as if I were "in the moment".

Thanks.

mrthieba

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I appreciate that. My son just recently showed me how to use the movie maker and post to youtube, so I guess he gets to be critical. As I was typing in the comment, I paused at "it's". He reached over my shoulder and typed "horrible", so I just went with it.

slypops

Gold forum user
And if he were to say he really likes it , you can be sure he's wrecked the family car in the last few hours, I raised three of them, I know!!