Timing set

kbecker

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Bought a dbl roller timing set some years ago any issues using this on the earlier 5 bolt motors doing a mockup on table things look close.
Are guys still installing the eccentric even with a electric fuel pump? Winter still hanging on here in northern Michigan. Off subject but being
winter is still here was going though some parts receipts from 1987 bought a set of headers from sunbeam specialties $179 Thanks Kevin

KenF

Gold forum user
I'm running a double roller timing chain on mine, works fine. Be sure to check the thickness of the cam retainer plate (lay it on the backside of the cam gear), I had to get a .250" thick 289 plate instead of the thinner .213" 260 one. I reinstalled the useless eccentric, which looks brand new, not a scratch on it.

HolyCat

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Please install the fuel pump eccentric. Otherwise, the bolt holding the gear on will bottom out in the camshaft and could work loose, even though you torqued it to the right spec. Don't ask me how I know - painful memories.

You could substitute a washer of equal thickness, but you already have one - the eccentric itself.

kbecker

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Please install the fuel pump eccentric. Otherwise, the bolt holding the gear on will bottom out in the camshaft and could work loose, even though you torqued it to the right spec. Don't ask me how I know - painful memories.

You could substitute a washer of equal thickness, but you already have one - the eccentric itself.
I did read somewhere about the bolt bottoming out without the eccentric was just concerned about everything clearing
the cover but thanks for the heads up, as far as the cam thrust washer I have a .250 thick one already. I also have a oil slinger
that would go on the crank but I think it came off another motor?? As always Thanks

KenF

Gold forum user
Oil slingers came on the 289HP motors, and I don’t think there’s a double roller set you can run with it installed. On my old GT-350 I removed the slinger and had engine balanced without it. Those slingers are kind of a rare piece nowadays.

Edit: It wasn't meant as an oil slinger, but as a counterweight to balance the motor due to the 3/8" rod bolts vs 5/16" and slightly different rod end caps.

Last edited:

kbecker

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Oil slingers came on the 289HP motors, and I don’t think there’s a double roller set you can run with it installed. On my old GT-350 I removed the slinger and had engine balanced without it. Those slingers are kind of a rare piece nowadays.

Edit: It wasn't meant as an oil slinger, but as a counterweight to balance the motor due to the 3/8" rod bolts vs 5/16" and slightly different rod end caps.
I know what your talking about with hatchet weights on the 289hp the oil slinger I'm talking about are different and mount in the front of the
crank gear don't think they were used on early motors plus not sure if there's room with a dbl roller chain. You can do a search online for
ford 289 oil slinger and you'll see what I'm talking about. Kevin

KenF

Gold forum user
Opps, sorry, my mistake. Forgive my ramblings. My 7/64 assembled 260 had the oil slinger, and it works fine with the double roller setup, no contact with the inside of the stock timing cover.

kbecker

Gold forum user
CAT Member
No problem, Ken your always a big help I actually surprised myself when I knew what
you were talking about.

Austin Healer

Gold forum user

it really isn't an oil slinger. There was an extra balance weight that was keyed to the crank timing gear with a dowel pin on 289 hipo motors ("K" Code). With these engines you're stuck with a single row timing set, unless you delete the secondary balance weight and have the engine re-balanced. This was a Shelby derived mod that was supposed to deal with "upper harmonic" imbalance issues. I came across this when rebuilding a '66 GT350 (6S798). The machinist had no idea what it was and ordered a double row timing gear set. I gave him the applicable info and we bought a single row set and drilled the crank gear for the dowel in order to use the secondary balance weight.