Tire recommendation

Brad H

Bronze forum user
I know that it's been asked a thousand times before and I have looked through countless threads but---. It seems that once I have decided on a brand and size of tire I am always disappointed to find out that my choice has been discontinued. I want a good handling summer tire 205/50/15 rear and 195/50/15 for the front, for the Panasport wheels that I purchased from from Dale Akuszewski. What are you guys running on your Tiger MK 1A's. I live in Iowa so we get cold winters and although the car will never be driven in the winter I am somewhat shy of buying the ultimate grade of performance tire because of the manufacturers claim that even sitting in cold temperatures can damage the highest grade tires. The car will never be driven in the rain so wet traction characteristics are of no concern either. I am upgrading from my LAT 70 13 inch wheels and tires and I don't want to accept any old tire that fits like I did previously. I didn't realize it at the time but the tire store sold me some Chinese brand tires that never did balance right, I always had a shimmy that was never there with my old Phoenix Stahlflex tires. Thank you in advance for any suggestions. -Brad

o2bdriving

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Interested in the answer too. MKII with LAT70 and redline radials. Good for show but thinking there must be something better for daily drivability. Curious abt the 15" LAT70 lookalike and if it'll fit without rubbing.

Last edited:

Warren

Gold forum user
Dunlop Direzza can't say about the freezing concern but good looking without an abundance of scribbling on the sidewalls. But really a summer tire and not so great in the rain or wetness but that's California little wetness lots of road oil and schmutz.
PS they are directional and you have to make sure that the installer puts the front on the front and the back on the back correctly without messing up the edges of your new wheels. I was actually in a hurry and I got home and said why doesn't that look right to myself doh...

Last edited:

Brad H

Bronze forum user
Warren,
The Dunlop Direzza's are what I was hoping to get. My sources tell me that they are or will soon be discontinued. They warn me to check the date codes on any that I find because they might be new old stock. If I find any from one of the tire retailers on line how do I get them to check the date codes and would you even trust them?

Warren

Gold forum user
Truly a good question. I don't remember who I used tires dot something com .
It seems like most of the time you can walk into a place like America's tire store and say I want this tire find it for me or you can call them and say find it for me and they will.. then you can ask on the match price and they might.
That's what I did on these lousy little Khumo tires. It seems like the production dates are going to be the production dates they're going to sell them all and I doubt they rotate stock so it's likely a crap shoot whichever way you go. If I can remember I will look at some of the tires that the autocross and see what the other guys are using.

Brad H

Bronze forum user
Warren,
I appreciate any help you can give. I had also thought about Toyo Proxes R1R but like I mentioned earlier I was concerned about the cold weather storage. Earlier tonight I spoke with a sales guy at Discount Tire and he said that statements relating to cold were commonly made by all the tire companies to avoid potential problems kind of like what the drug companies do to avoid lawsuits. After my conversation with him I headed over to check out one of my other cars, a V8 Miata, and realized that it was outfitted with the same Toyo tires only wider so I am no longer concerned about the cold weather issue. I am however concerned with the width of the tires. The Toyo's seem they might be on the wide range of fitting without rubbing against the rear springs. I don't know. I will anxiously await your observations about other people's cars. Again, thank you for your help with this. - Brad

Jon B

Silver forum user
CAT Member
I have Continental ExtremeContact Sport in 205/50ZR15. Haven't driven on them yet but a veteran Tiger autocrosser approved the choice.

o2bdriving

Gold forum user
CAT Member
13" LAT 70 205/60VR-13 VREDESTEIN SPRINT CLASSIC SL Coker Tire which gives a discount to Hagerty customers.
tigerstriped.jpg

Jon B

Silver forum user
CAT Member
My car is stripped down a bit for bodywork and paint and stuck in my tiny garage, but this shot shows the tires somewhat well.

IMG_0306.JPG