Tire suggestions for ew Halibrand 15" kidney wheels

sjrasco

Bronze forum user
I just ordered a set of these from PS VintageWheels - 15x6 front with 3 3/4 backspace and 15x7 far with 4 1/4 backspace. Most of the forums I've read suggest a 195/50 front tire and 205/50 rear.

Anyone have any other recommendations.

Thanks,
Scott A Rasco
Asheville, NC

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
It always depends on if front valence lips are trimmed, if suspension is lowered and the seam of the inner and outer panels for the lip on the rear is either rolled up otmr trimmed to stop the side wall rubbing.

The sizes you have given are the norm. You have a slightly smaller rolling radius on the front, so you'll have a slight nose down stance. . you can go 195/55 on front .. But that will bring leading edge of the front tyre closer the the lip of valence when on lock.

sjrasco

Bronze forum user
Halibrand wheels with ?? tire combo

Thanks for the info. So if you wanted to keep the car's metal and suspension completely stock, would you go with the 195/50 front and 205 rear or possibly 195/50 front with 215/50 rear or something else? I noted your comment or increase the radius on the front to /55.

I'm trying to find that balance between filling the wheel wells, handling and stance while keeping the car stock.

Thx again,
Scott A Rasco
Asheville, NC

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Scott

If you run a 215/50 (107.5mm side profile) in the back as opposed to 205/50 (102.5mm side profile) you are making the tyre wider yes... But also taller in profile increasing rolling radius and (the profile is x2 so the 215 is 100 mm larger duameter overall than the 205) might bring it closer to the seam of the lip in the rear guard.

You will also be raising the back relative to the front. I was suggesting the taller profile for the front as 195 is a lower overall radius.

I think 195/50 front and 205/50 rear "should be safe" but you really need to know if your suspension is lowered or has settled and if the front is trimmed or not... Ideally if you can test fit the wheels. Then turn full lock and check the clearance of the leading face of the tyre to the front valence of the outer turning wheel

Bob Knight

Gold forum user
CAT Member
ReTired

Front is 205/50 15, rear is 215/50 15. I lowered the rear of the car about 2" after this picture was taken, so it's pretty level front to back now. Personally I would have had it a little higher, but Dale said "that's 4x4 height"...
Bob K.
B9471705