Trade HEH-E for HEH-B

the_tool_man

Gold forum user
Hi all:

Finally got around to identifying my top loader. It's a close-ratio HEH-E pulled from Tiger I bought in non-running condition. Shifts okay on the bench, and has no apparent issues. Looked into converting to wide ratio parts, but $800ish is more than I want to spend. I know it's a long shot, but if anyone has a wide-ratio HEH-B in similar condition, and is interested in a straight trade, let me know.

Thanks in advance,
John.

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
John,

I would contact mustang/falcon race guys.. they are more likely to want to swap a wide ratio box for a C/R for their track cars... ;)

the_tool_man

Gold forum user
They'll have an RUG, not HEH. And, I believe the tailshaft is different. I don't think they are interchangeable.

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Tailshaft will be different on anything but a sunbeam.. did you mean tail housing on the tiger sepcific toploader? IIRC there are quite a few of the cars in histroics that run top loaders, and figure they would be willing to swap the gear sets or box -the tail housing for your C/R setup.

the_tool_man

Gold forum user
Thanks for the help. Tailshaft and tail housing length are Tiger-specific. I'd have to swap internals, which I'm willing to do. I can use either input shaft diameter, as I'll need to buy a new clutch anyway. I'll ask around.

I've checked, but not found a difinetive answer. Are HEH and RUG internals interchangeable or not? I thinking the gears might be. Almost everything else will get replaced with the $150 rebuild kit. If I can use the internals out of an RUG, that would vastly improve my chances.

Regards,
John.

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
John,

Not sure on the RUG 'box, to be honest not sure which that is.. down here the toploaders were used in local falcons, and i thought in the states they used them in the flacon sprints/commets and some of the mustangs?

Maybe give dave kees or toplaoder heaven a call and ask.. they also sell new and reco gearsets

chirodoc

Gold forum user
TOPLOADER TRANSMISSION

i WOULD ADD "DAN WILLIAMS' TOPLOADER TO THE LIST. HE IS IN YOUR BACKYARD IN NORTH CAROLINA INSTEAD OF THE LEFT COAST.

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Swapping Cogs

Thanks for the help. Tailshaft and tail housing length are Tiger-specific. I'd have to swap internals, which I'm willing to do. I can use either input shaft diameter, as I'll need to buy a new clutch anyway. I'll ask around.

I've checked, but not found a difinetive answer. Are HEH and RUG internals interchangeable or not? I thinking the gears might be. Almost everything else will get replaced with the $150 rebuild kit. If I can use the internals out of an RUG, that would vastly improve my chances.

Regards,
John.

Yup: You can grab the input, the counter cluster, and the 2-3 gears from a wide ratio RUG for an HEHE box. You must use the HEHE output shaft and the tail piece. Stick with the smaller input when digging up an RUG to keep things simple. Re-sizing the front bearing retainer to fit the bellhousing can get complicated. If you get it all done right, you'll have a close ratio RUG left over to re-sell . . . . . .

the_tool_man

Gold forum user
Success

Turns out I was able to find someone willing to trade. Found them on the Facebook group, of all places.

Thanks,
John.