Turn Signal High Beam Flash Wiring

KenF

Gold forum user
I just installed SS's turn signal switch repair kit for the plastic self cancelling piece that broke. Somewhere in the cars past, the switch must have been replaced with one that has the high beam flash when pulling back on the lever. It has as an extra pair of wires, red and blue, which were never connected to anything. I've looked at the wiring diagrams I have, and online, but can't see any showing how to hook that feature up.

If anyone knows where to connect those two wires, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,
Ken

IMG_8439.JPG

rfraser

Bronze forum user
CAT Member
you need to find an Alpine or Rapier wire diagram that supports the flash to pass switch.

wire colors are specific - blue should be to headlights, red is side markers and tail lights, that other wire looks brown to me

Ron Fraser

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
I just installed SS's turn signal switch repair kit for the plastic self cancelling piece that broke. Somewhere in the cars past, the switch must have been replaced with one that has the high beam flash when pulling back on the lever. It has as an extra pair of wires, red and blue, which were never connected to anything. I've looked at the wiring diagrams I have, and online, but can't see any showing how to hook that feature up.

If anyone knows where to connect those two wires, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,
Ken

View attachment 17629
it's a brown wire... 12 vdc positive at all times. There should be a wire in the harness with a bullet end and sleeve connector in the same general area as the turn signal wires... if not you could piggy back the connection to one of the other brown leads on the ignition switch. The blue wire goes to the high beam (Blue/White) wires. There should be a double sleeve connector near the column and turn signal wires.

IvaTiger

Gold forum user
I have the original turn signal switch in my MK 1 and it does have the high beam flash feature blue and brown wires It is a left hand drive made for the non UK market. The wires were never hooked up because the flash feature was only used for the UK market. They did not change the harness for the Non UK cars so yours is correct just go ahead and put a bullet connector on the blue wire and brown wires to act as insulators. The turn signal stem will move into the flash position but there is not a metal connector in the switch.
In the UK flashing high beams signals to oncoming traffic that you are giving way to them not that there is a cop ahead šŸ˜Š

KenF

Gold forum user
Yes, it's brown wire, not red. Thanks everyone for the input.
So, here's how I connected. Brown power lead plugged into a purple female connect, which was not the horn dual connector. Constant power, like horn circuit. There were a few other options, but chose this plug 'n play.
Blue wire connected to a blue/white dual connector, probably part of the high beam indicator light circuit coming up from the "dipper" switch.
Feel like I should have added a relay so amps aren't hitting the turn signal switch so much. But, they're not constant on, just momentary use, occasionally.

IMG_8448.JPG

With lights off, then with lights on, which is hardly noticeable.

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Might be more noticeable at night with the difference...also projecting onto something..

But.. it's a good idea to up the wattage of the globes, just add a relay