Type of oil used

hottigr

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Over 30 years using Castrol 20-50. Live in SoCal. Heads show no residue or build up. Couple of crummy pics down the oil fill tube:

tiger heads 002.JPG

tiger heads 003.JPG

Hoghead

Gold forum user
The key question these days, is do you have a flat tappet or roller cam?
The answer to that will determine if you need a high ZDDP oil.

mr55s

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Pennzoil 20/50 on an original engine. This may differ on newer internals and or later engine rebuild. A friend was running in a fresh engine and didn’t use a specific oil for the cam. The cam was short lived, and needed to be replaced.

Hoghead

Gold forum user
Pennzoil 20/50 on an original engine. This may differ on newer internals and or later engine rebuild. A friend was running in a fresh engine and didn’t use a specific oil for the cam. The cam was short lived, and needed to be replaced.
Oil specs are constantly changing, and even the heavier grades and diesel oils are reducing ZDDP content. One needs to check if a flat tappet cam, and if so then either use an additive, or high ZDDP speciality oil.
Roller cams can use modern oils

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
I prefer Castrol 20/50 or Kendall 20/50. Penzoil and Quaker state have high ash contents which I don't really care for. (it's a personal; problem!) I agree that with a flat tappet cam a good Zinc additive is a must for a new motor for break in. My engine machine shop in Seattle supplies me with a special high Zinc break in oil AND a ZDDP additive.

The local Wally World sells Castrol 20/50 in 5qt jugs a lot cheaper than any of the parts houses.....

Warren

Gold forum user
Valvoline 20-50 racing has a high zinc content.
I liked the prices on filters and oil at Walmart better than the local auto parts shops.

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I prefer Castrol 20/50 or Kendall 20/50. Penzoil and Quaker state have high ash contents which I don't really care for. (it's a personal; problem!) I agree that with a flat tappet cam a good Zinc additive is a must for a new motor for break in. My engine machine shop in Seattle supplies me with a special high Zinc break in oil AND a ZDDP additive.

The local Wally World sells Castrol 20/50 in 5qt jugs a lot cheaper than any of the parts houses....
Walmart is in there own world. Over the years I called on buyers for several mass retailers and every quarter I laid out the programs for the up coming quarter. That included their net cost for oils they stocked in the stores. They used it as a cost leader and would sell it for less than cost but they make lots on other products. It still happens today. Think about the cost of product on bottled water. Ash is a part of the anti wear additive for engine oils. All oils that are blended and licensed for the current SN spec are blended to the minimum specs. which protects not only new engines but all of the older engines. The amount of ash has always been controlled to prevent it from building deposits in the combustion chamber including fouling spark plugs. The amount of ash was determined in the past based on the TBN of the engine oil. TBN isn't much of a concern with new engines oils. ZDDP has not been removed from engine oils. The PPM at one time could be 1200 or in some cases higher. Many oils are now in the range of 600 to 800 PPM. It plugs exhaust Cats. I've seen many reports showing that a high mileage engine that was run using higher PPM of ZDDP still retain left over ZDDP. There is a lot of blending that is contracted out instead of being blended in the oil companies blend plant but the blenders do blend to the brand's spec and the current API spec. Kendall is now a brand owned by Phillips 66 and Castrol is owned by BP.

As far as racing oils go, keep in mind that the word " racing " means just that. The additive package is engineered to be used up quickly due to the length of time in the engine when under race conditions and the engine needs the protection due to the hard use of the engine. Most racers change the oil frequently so using up the additive package is not much of a concern. It will last a decent time under normal use conditions. There are "synthetic " oils blended today especially ones termed semi synthetic that contain a base stock derived from crude oil. What was as far as engine oils in the past is not what is there today.

66TigerMK1A

Gold forum user
I use plain old 10w30 in my Roller H.O. We don't get Calif. temps here often
Here's what was recommended for Mustangs...

292888989_1701724290212279_3459872250763276796_n.jpg

spmdr

Gold forum user
CAT Member
"What was as far as engine oils in the past is not what is there today."

Very true!

Look close. Oils that WERE conventional are now Syn, or blends.

The future.

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Engines with a turbo of the era mentioned above required an oil with the spec for turbos. The difference was the soak down temp of the conventional oil was not high enough to handle the temp of the turbo bearings after shut down of the engine and as the bearing temp raised it would fry the non turbo spec oil. As specs of the oil changed and the operating temp range of the oil increased we came to a point where the normal high temp range of the oil surpassed the spec of the turbo oil. The result was that turbo oil became obsolete and blending was ceased. Oils blended currently have specs far higher than anything available when Tiger engines were being built. Keep in mind that the difference between a 5W30 and 10W30 is the low number. Both are SAE 30 oils with a different viscosity at a temp of zero Celsius.

HolyCat

Gold forum user
CAT Member
In addition to weight, automobile engine oils were given Service Categories. The Category letters were changed with each change in oil specifications. When Tigers were being produced, the API Service Category was SC. However, that category was replaced by SD and SC was not considered suitable for engines built after 1967. The current Category is SP. Service categories SI, SK, and SO were skipped. A newer API Service Category oil can be safely used in an engine designed for an earlier one. However, keep in mind the possible need for additional ZDDP, especially in a newly rebuilt engine, as noted by others. As I understand it, the main differences between the different Service Category oils are the types and amounts of the various additives. The first Service Category was SA and had no additives.

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
"What was as far as engine oils in the past is not what is there today."

Very true!

Look close. Oils that WERE conventional are now Syn, or blends.

The future.
The change for today's oils is the base stock used. Base stock refined from crude oil can be used for synthetic oils. A group 3 base oil looks like water when refined. Different blenders have a different way to modify and blend additives. There are still some specialty blenders that use a PAO base stock in place of the base stock from crude. The end result is that both ways create a high quality oil with a broad temperature range and excellent lubrication.

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
In addition to weight, automobile engine oils were given Service Categories. The Category letters were changed with each change in oil specifications. When Tigers were being produced, the API Service Category was SC. However, that category was replaced by SD and SC was not considered suitable for engines built after 1967. The current Category is SP. Service categories SI, SK, and SO were skipped. A newer API Service Category oil can be safely used in an engine designed for an earlier one. However, keep in mind the possible need for additional ZDDP, especially in a newly rebuilt engine, as noted by others. As I understand it, the main differences between the different Service Category oils are the types and amounts of the various additives. The first Service Category was SA and had no additives.
Old guys like myself that have been in the business for several decades tend to shake our heads and think about what the reaction would be from a customer back when if we told them their car required a 0W16 oil. Don't be surprised to see a 0W12 before long. One way to help meet CAFE fuel mileage requirements is to reduce friction by lowering the viscosity to a 0W20 or to a 0W16 while still maintaining the same level of lubrication. New standards bring on a new classification.