Upside down oil change

hottigr

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I'm going over to a friend's house to change the oil and filter on their Tiger. It has the filter mod that flips the filter over so the opening is on the bottom. This is a pristine Tiger. What's the best way to get the oil to drain out of the filter so it doesn't make a mess? I've heard 'poke it with a screwdriver at the base', but I'm hoping there is a better way. Thanks. Kirk

Warren

Gold forum user
Boats use

A hand pressurized pump with a long straw that goes down the dipstick as boats don't have a sump drain . The sell a cheaper model at Harbor Freight than the 100 plus dollar one at West Marine. It might make it easier be nice to not have to put the car up too. Could you poke a hole and force suction straw into bottom of filter? Personally I like to put car up and let drain for 30 minutes plus to get as much out as possible.

JimsCat

Bronze forum user
CAT Member
My Method

I used a fillips screwdriver to make a couple of holes in the "top" of the filter. After letting it drain a few minutes, I wrap a heavy duty paper towel around the base to catch any spillage as I unscrew it. It works best with hot oil, of course. I seldom spill any oil.

Forrest39

Gold forum user
CAT Member
My car was this way and I changed it because I didn’t like the idea of having to pump up the filter at every engine start. The good news is that the filter will be fairly empty when you pull it off. I put an empty gallon size zip-lock bag under the filter area when pulling it off which catches most of the residual oil. Hope that helps...
-Kevin

Warren

Gold forum user
Good response

I can remember being a service advisor chastising me for not using factory filters, and my warranty was in jepoardy. He claimed that they had superior back flow valve or diaphragm. I pointed out that my filters were rated above OEM and if the oil comes out of my filter the car is shiny side down:O

hottigr

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Thanks for the responses. I had very little oil drip out of the upside down filter when I spun it off. I was afraid there might be a backflow valve or something similar that would keep the filter full of oil even with the engine off, but that was not the case. This particular Tiger has won every possible award over the years at Tigers United and is an original owner car, so I wanted to keep the drips to a minimum. Mission accomplished! Kirk