Vanderpool Tiger?

hottigr

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Saw this on ebay from a dealer in Texas. Sure looks like Jerry and Marlene's Tiger:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/256344382916?hash=item3baf50ddc4:g:MtEAAOSwLQJlb6Qt&LH_Auction=1

s-l1600 (1).jpg

66TigerMK1A

Gold forum user
Vanderpool's Tiger!! I would say so I judged part of it in Santa Rosa concours TUXXXII and I remember the very unique candy apple red with air cleaner matching
He won 1st in Modified as Dale's car ( beside him ) didn't have a spare tire or owners manual!!! Strange rules for the 'MOD' class

P1000363.JPG

66TigerMK1A

Gold forum user
No spare tyre or owners manual....
I can maybe get the spare tyres thing... But owners manual... On a mod car you might have to right your own..... 🤔
Those were Dale’s exact words as I recall.He said he would have to hand write a manual lol … He pulled out his AAA card to cover the ‘no spare tire’ but points were deducted anyway🙄 I judged the engine compartment and underside. Complete oval tubing on the exhaust and the welds looked ‘painted’ on. It was that clean !

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Only got to $30k. Is the market that soft?
There's a MK 1 on E Bay that is being sold by a dealer in San Ramon with an asking price of $39995.00. It does have a TAC certificate. Another for 69K. Check some other marques on E Bay and you'll see most are soft on selling price.

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
There's a MK 1 on E Bay that is being sold by a dealer in San Ramon with an asking price of $39995.00. It does have a TAC certificate. Another for 69K. Check some other marques on E Bay and you'll see most are soft on selling price.
The car on ebay ($39,995) chassis tag has it ORIGINAL rivets too. TAC signed by Patrick King and Tom Hall. Mystified as to why it's listed that cheap... I don't much care for the carpet on the center top cover door! Missing pin beading as well, but not hard to put that back on.

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
The car on ebay ($39,995) chassis tag has it ORIGINAL rivets too. TAC signed by Patrick King and Tom Hall. Mystified as to why it's listed that cheap... I don't much care for the carpet on the center top cover door! Missing pin beading as well, but not hard to put that back on.
It's a case of simple economics. Folks with unnecessary financial liabilities are trying to lower their exposure. Used car pricing nationwide has fallen 5% in the last few months. What percentage have collector cars dropped? Other marques being sold on E Bay are also listed at much lower pricing.

IvaTiger

Gold forum user
It’s one of those come on tricks with a contact buyer or make offer I don’t like that way of selling and generally buy from people who are upfront with a price I will be humble if it sells for less than $40,000

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
It’s one of those come on tricks with a contact buyer or make offer I don’t like that way of selling and generally buy from people who are upfront with a price I will be humble if it sells for less than $40,000
it's one of those cars that appeals to a certain type of buyer. One that's not too concerned with originality. The interior being tan and the top cover being covered with tan carpet... But, there's an ass for every seat! There's another Mk1a in Cali somewhere priced at $49K including delivery. I looked at close to 100 pics of it. Original rivets on the chassis tag, original color scheme and very well restored. If it sells for what it's listed at, whoever restored it is going to lose a ton of money. It's many orders of magnitude nicer than the green Mk1a that recently made near $60K on BAT. I just don't get it.

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
it's one of those cars that appeals to a certain type of buyer. One that's not too concerned with originality. The interior being tan and the top cover being covered with tan carpet... But, there's an ass for every seat! There's another Mk1a in Cali somewhere priced at $49K including delivery. I looked at close to 100 pics of it. Original rivets on the chassis tag, original color scheme and very well restored. If it sells for what it's listed at, whoever restored it is going to lose a ton of money. It's many orders of magnitude nicer than the green Mk1a that recently made near $60K on BAT. I just don't get it.
Prices went up when the economy was good but now that the economy is down and selling prices are down, many are upside down as far as the current value versus what they originally spent. Those folks just want out of a liability if possible so they sell for a price that gets the liability off their back. That could very well be less than they have in it.