Wanted - Ford 289 Block with 5 Bolt Bellhousing

Sunbeam65

Bronze forum user
Wanted - Ford 289 Block with a 5 Bolt Bellhousing. Looking for block in good condition with bore of 0.030" or less OR that needs a bore to 0.030" or less. Please let me know if you can help...

Thank you!

cadreamn67

Platinum Forum Member
If you are interested in a long block that is already rebuilt, have a look at sandjengines.com. They are in Spokane, WA. Their website lists a rebuilt 5 bolt 289 long block. Part # FO-289P-2. You could call and ask about overbore. I have no affiliation with the company. Prices seem extremely reasonable, supposedly in business for 35 years, seven year-70,000 mile warranty, etc. I bought a 6 bolt from them earlier this year (.030 overbore), then got busy with other things and have not yet installed it. Suddenly the old 260 started to run a whole lot better with a faster advance in the distributor and a rebuild, bigger squirter and different powervalve cam in the Holley 4 barrel carb!

Cheers, Gene

Last edited:

Sunbeam65

Bronze forum user
Five bolt 289 cores

If you are interested in a long block that is already rebuilt, have a look at sandjengines.com. They are in Spokane, WA. Their website lists a rebuilt 5 bolt 289 long block. Part # FO-289P-2. You could call and ask about overbore. I have no affiliation with the company. Prices seem extremely reasonable, supposedly in business for 35 years, seven year-70,000 mile warranty, etc. I bought a 6 bolt from them earlier this year (.030 overbore), then got busy with other things and have not yet installed it. Suddenly the old 260 started to run a whole lot better with a faster advance in the distributor and a rebuild, bigger squirter and different powervalve cam in the Holley 4 barrel carb!

Cheers, Gene

Thanks for the info...unfortunately they did not have any five bolt 289s in stock....thank you any way...still looking.

Scott

cadreamn67

Platinum Forum Member
I am a little bit confused by the answer you got. If you look on ebay for a "289 rebuilt block" you will see a five bolt block listed with the name of Hiperformer as the seller. Location is Spokane, WA. This is the ebay arm of S&J Engines, as I found out when I was looking for my block. You might try giving the number listed there a call. My sense is that this is a family run business with a couple/three brothers involved in different initiatives. One runs the ebay selling side of things, another the plant side of things, etc. When I bought my block from them I ended up talking to two different guys at different times and got slightly different answers. At the time the ebay store and the plant store were both running promotions that were slightly different.

Maybe the ebay side of the business has dibs on the 5 bolt block.

By the way, in what state are you located? Does it make sense for me to keep an eye out for a block in the Chicago area?

Best regards, Gene

Last edited:

Sunbeam65

Bronze forum user
Thanks again for the info...I'll look into the eBay listing. I wrote them via their contact info on their web site asking for a five bolt block and they stated that they did not have a 5 bolt in stock...it appears as they may have been referring to a bare block...which is really what I am looking for. The reason I need a block is the last company I purchased a long block from sold me an anchor and then mysteriously went out of business. The "rebuilt" engine had .040" over pistons in a block that was .040" over with rust pits in the walls of the block the size of an elephant. Even .060" over wouldn't straighten this block out...so here I am. Needless to say, I am a little gun shy of "rebuilt" motors and would like to do the next one myself. I have four sets of heads from other projects and all of the ancillary components...just really want a good block with a standard bore (if there are any still out there) or at the most 0.030" over. If you find out about a block in Chicago...please pass the info on to me...I truly appreciate the effort.

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
5 bolt SBF

HI: We have a cancelled Tiger restoration (economy strikes again) and the owner has asked that we market all the pieces. A bare 289 5-bolt block with .030 over new pistons in it/crank/rods/no cam is part of the vast inventory that goes with this project. Make a reasonable offer and I'll pass it on to the owner. Located in Meredith, NH. randy < willett581@msn.com >

rab123

Bronze forum user
289 5 bolt

I have a 289 5 bolt block, not sure of bore. Got with a large stash of tiger parts. I live in L.A. by LAX, but out of town until next Monday. Out of state move in works so I dont want to move the engine.....Will have to check bore, it has sat for a long time, also have a 260 from same lot of stuff.

Randie B.

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
5 bolt SBF

Hi again: I inspected some of the blocks in the barnz. Got a nice clean 5-bolt, C4OE 6015 C . Measures to have been bored to .030 . Good crank & rods with it, slotted flat tops ; very minor surface rust. No projects scheduled for it, so it can go. randy 603-455-1840 or E-mail the old guy at < willett581@msn.com >:cool: