Yest Another 14" Tire Thread

Fordlandia

Silver forum user
CAT Member
Yet Another 14" Tire Thread

Years ago, I purchased Yokohama AVS V-rated tires for my Panasport wheels. I have 6" rims up front (195/60 tires) and 7" in the rear (205/60 tires). The tires are still in perfect shape, but too old to drive safely at "speed."

I have searched high and low for suitable tires that are available in the same two sizes. Very few options. I have a few questions:

In my younger days, I tended to engage in a bit of street racing now and then. I've sowed most of those wild oats, so the tire's speed rating is perhaps of less importance. If I "settle" for a lower speed rating (for example a "T" rating of 118 mph versus an "H" at 130 mph) the available brands increases... and a "V" rating is almost impossible to find in both of those sizes.

If I'm not intending to spend prolonged amounts of time (if any) over 100 mph... should a "T" rating be enough?

The next thing I have found is that if I go to a 70 series tire (versus current 60 series) the number of options also increases. Anybody running 70 series tires on 14" wheels out there... any issues? The tire diameter does increase almost 2" on a 195/70 series versus a 60 series tire.

Any input would be appreciated.

Bill
Grand Rapids, MI

Last edited:

mwood

Gold forum user
195/60-14 was an oem fitment on a number of small Japanese cars and is a size that should have some support for the time being. But, end of day, 14" falls into the same category as 13" (and, eventually, 16") as a diameter that doesn't have broad enough application to get the attention of manufacturers.
The problem is the 205/60-14 rear, as that is a size that has no oem fitment and limited application in performance tires.

A 195/70, as pointed out, is a relatively tall tire. A 205/70 is about 25.5" diameter. I have no idea what the clearance to things like the valence might be, but you're raising CG a bunch. If you care about "look" (what Tiger owner doesn't?), it will also look very tall/big sidewall...

I don't think there are any easy answers out there and it isn't going to get better. Easiest is to run a set of 195/60-14 all around, understanding that you won't be able to source very high performance rubber. If want to get more racy, I'd look into doing a set of Toyo R888 (even though I'm no fan of the R888) 205/55f and 225/50r. But, I'm guessing there are clearance issues with those, too. Toyo is also re-introducing new sizes of the RA1, which is a fantastic tire...rumor has some 14" sizes in the pipeline.

Fordlandia

Silver forum user
CAT Member
Thanks for replying...

Thanks for the input. The only brand/type I've been able to find with the exact same size as my current tires is this "Nexen" tire:

http://www.nexentireusa.com/tires/passenger-tires/cP641

Until I did my search, I had never heard of "Nexen" and the tires are "cheap" enough that it actually has me a bit worried... are they really decent tires? They are made in South Korea. Rated as "H" speed capable... but at less than $75 a tire?

Anybody had any experience with "Nexen" tires?

Bill
Grand Rapids, MI

mwood

Gold forum user
I've heard that Nexen makes a decent tire. I wouldn't be afraid of South Korea manufacture...look at Hankook, which currently makes one the very best high performance street tires (RS3 V2), and Kumho as examples of South Korea tire manufacturers. I think, also, that it is likely that they are pricing their current offerings aggressively to get the brand known in the US.

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
If you get the semi track tyres they often have decent performance options in smaller sizes. Think Dunlop d1 and d2 derizia, fallen azenis etc... Dunlop's are good as they are not to slick on the tread face so not as noisy and harsh