5 speed

mgmike69

Silver forum user
What is the simplest closest to bolt up 5 speed conversion for a 65 Tiger.I'm sure that the Tremec transmissions are great transmissions.But they are a little pricey and it seems like a fair amount of work to install one.Is the T5 still a good option

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
What is the simplest closest to bolt up 5 speed conversion for a 65 Tiger.I'm sure that the Tremec transmissions are great transmissions.But they are a little pricey and it seems like a fair amount of work to install one.Is the T5 still a good option
The bottom line; none of it is simple or inexpensive. There is an adaptive process no matter which direction you take. The end result is quite nice once done.

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I
It depends if you want a straight bolt in ...no cutting no metal massage conversion...or you can handle some cutting

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I

It depends if you want a straight bolt in ...no cutting no metal massage conversion...or you can handle some cutting
One Tiger owner from my area has owned Tigers since the mid 60's. If he was restoring a car and the owner wanted to deviate from stock he always said "Some modification required". As Randy said, it's not easy and is expensive.

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
One Tiger owner from my area has owned Tigers since the mid 60's. If he was restoring a car and the owner wanted to deviate from stock he always said "Some modification required". As Randy said, it's not easy and is expensive.
Given there is a kit that is a straight bolt in with no mods ... It very easy ..but that kit is expensive.

There is Tons old T5 kit .. but that did require massaging the tunnel and was expensive and made changing the oil a PITA ..

Or if you are happy to cut parts of the tunnel for a different shifter location you can just use a T5 or supra box...

Last edited by a moderator:

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
You're right about the options but depending on previous work or damage to the chassis the mods may be simple or extensive. If the frame rails or other parts of the chassis are bent or damaged the install could become labor intensive. One California car I bought from a long time customer of SS had a strange drive line vibration. It turned out that the car had taken a hit that bent the right frame rail in 4 inches and up 2 inches . The front suspension cross member had been redrilled to attach it to the bent rail. Expect anything since these cars are getting old and make sure that the structure is in good shape.

Last edited: