clutch slave bracket

rfraser

Bronze forum user
CAT Member
I received a pdf file compiled by Dan Case comparing the 5 bolt Cobra bracket to the Tiger bracket and he states that the 1st 56 Tigers used the Cobra bracket.
There are some slight differences between the Cobra and Tiger bracket - Tiger bracket has 1981002 cast on the part.

Anyone owning an early Tiger have a picture of the clutch slave cylinder bracket to confirm which bracket?

I would be interesting to sort this out.

Ron Fraser

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I received a pdf file compiled by Dan Case comparing the 5 bolt Cobra bracket to the Tiger bracket and he states that the 1st 56 Tigers used the Cobra bracket.
There are some slight differences between the Cobra and Tiger bracket - Tiger bracket has 1981002 cast on the part.

Anyone owning an early Tiger have a picture of the clutch slave cylinder bracket to confirm which bracket?

Ron Fraser
You may want to contact Nick Acton (Acton Custom) he is a Cobra guru ,fabricator, historian and may have just what yer looking for sitting on a shelf. nick@actoncustom.com

Austin Healer

Gold forum user

Ron Fraser
Early Tigers before 9470057 used the same basic T10 gearbox as the 65/66 GT350 Shelby. It has the wider ears on the gearbox case like a wide ratio top loader. The bell housing on the Shelby is 6 bolt, of course, and the same part as used on the Mk2 Tiger.

It would be interesting to have a look at the bellhousing for one of these early cars to see if it was a dual pattern type. (narrow cases AND the mounting holes for the gear box cases with "ears".

The factory parts list shows the same bellhousing for both early and later cars (C30Z-6392-C) but that seems wrong due to the way the cases attach to the clutch bell housing. The parts list also shows that all of the clutch parts, release arm included are the same, early or late. The only part shown to be different is the throw out bearing.

As it would be a 5 bolt bellhousing either way the bracket for the slave should be identical, and this is also reflected in the parts list. Of course, factory parts lists have been known to have incorrect info from time to time.

Franchi

Silver forum user
The early cars probably used the Falcon T10?

David

https://www.2040-parts.com/_content/items/images/25/1620125/001.jpg

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Early Tigers before 9470057 used the same basic T10 gearbox as the 65/66 GT350 Shelby. It has the wider ears on the gearbox case like a wide ratio top loader. The bell housing on the Shelby is 6 bolt, of course, and the same part as used on the Mk2 Tiger.

It would be interesting to have a look at the bellhousing for one of these early cars to see if it was a dual pattern type. (narrow cases AND the mounting holes for the gear box cases with "ears".

The factory parts list shows the same bellhousing for both early and later cars (C30Z-6392-C) but that seems wrong due to the way the cases attach to the clutch bell housing. The parts list also shows that all of the clutch parts, release arm included are the same, early or late. The only part shown to be different is the throw out bearing.

As it would be a 5 bolt bellhousing either way the bracket for the slave should be identical, and this is also reflected in the parts list. Of course, factory parts lists have been known to have incorrect info from time to time.
This T10 was pulled from a very early unmolested Tiger. It has the Left side speedo cable aperture and narrow case mount.

IMG_1737.jpeg

IMG_1738.jpeg

IMG_1729.jpeg

IMG_1732.jpeg

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
This T10 was pulled from a very early unmolested Tiger. It has the Left side speedo cable aperture and narrow case mount.

View attachment 19744

View attachment 19745

View attachment 19746

View attachment 19747
Thanks Randy!

I've only seen the later ones for the Shelby GT350 and the 6 bolt bellhousing. looking at this T10 there would be no issues using the very same bellhousing as those used with the close ratio top loader. As such, the slave cylinder bracket would not need to be changed to suit the BW box.

rfraser

Bronze forum user
CAT Member
The Shelby American Tiger prototype would have the Cobra Clutch Slave Cylinder Bracket.
The question is, did Rootes order additional Cobra brackets and how many?
I can see Rootes ordering several Cobra brackets, at least for the AF Tigers until the Rootes casting became available.

I'm looking for pictures to confirm which clutch bracket is used on early Tigers.
Ron Fraser

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
The Shelby American Tiger prototype would have the Cobra Clutch Slave Cylinder Bracket.
The question is, did Rootes order additional Cobra brackets and how many?
I can see Rootes ordering several Cobra brackets, at least for the AF Tigers until the Rootes casting became available.

I'm looking for pictures to confirm which clutch bracket is used on early Tigers.
Ron Fraser
You should try and contact the buyer of Brett Simpson's car (JAL #1) it's a B/W gearbox equipped and it's somewhere in California.... Also you could contact Buck who I understand has one of the early AF cars.

From what the parts list indicates, the only special part for the B/W cars is the throw out bearing... Down, I'm guessing to the outer diameter of the B/W input shaft extension vs. the same part for the top loader.

spmdr

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Last time I saw the Shelby Prototype Tiger I took some

underside pictures. Here is the only one showing a

part of the clutch slave cylinder.

It looks very close to a STD Tiger 260 clocking.

DW

P1060184.JPG

rfraser

Bronze forum user
CAT Member
Good picture, thanks for sharing - it shows the return spring bracket of the Cobra clutch bracket.
A picture that shows the casting's webbing would help with this determination.

Did AC have this bracket made or did Shelby American make the Cobra Bracket?

The Tiger bracket, I believe, is the Rootes version of the Cobra clutch bracket and it would be clocked similarly which is determined by the slave cylinder casting orientation.
Ron Fraser

rfraser

Bronze forum user
CAT Member
Still looking for picture proof that the 1st 56 Tigers have the Cobra clutch bracket.

The Cobra bracket was cast for AC Cars LTD so it is very possible that the AF Tigers have the Cobra bracket. Tiger engine groups involved would be the T15KL and E7KL. Many of these engines have been lost to time but I would think the clutch bracket would get transferred with any new engine.

There are differences between the Cobra and Tiger brackets, the Cobra bracket has thicker webs.

Asking anyone with an AF or early Tiger if they have a picture of their clutch bracket to share.

Ron Fraser

rfraser

Bronze forum user
CAT Member
Here is a comparison photo of the Cobra and Rootes bracket - from a pdf compiled by Dan Case.
The Cobra bracket is 1.5" thick, the Rootes bracket is 1.25" thick.

I'm still looking for photo proof of the clutch bracket on the early Tigers. Engine groups T15KL and E7KL.

comparison 1.jpg

hptiger

Bronze forum user
CAT Member
Here is a comparison photo of the Cobra and Rootes bracket - from a pdf compiled by Dan Case.
The Cobra bracket is 1.5" thick, the Rootes bracket is 1.25" thick.

I'm still looking for photo proof of the clutch bracket on the early Tigers. Engine groups T15KL and E7KL.

View attachment 19860
Here are a couple more photos

IMG_20240819_140053.jpg

rfraser

Bronze forum user
CAT Member
Score card Cobra vs Rootes
Cobra - 1 in the T15KL engine group
Rootes - 2 in the E7KL engine group

I encourage anyone who has an early Tiger, production or competition, to check their clutch slave cylinder bracket.
You may think you don't have the original engine, but the bracket most likely followed to the new engine.

Show me what you have and let's run up the score.

Ron Fraser
rfraser@bluefrog.com

rfraser

Bronze forum user
CAT Member
Score card remains the same.

Cobra - 1 in the T15KL engine group - pictures confirm a Cobra bracket
This may indicate all T15KL engines have the Cobra bracket.

Rootes - 2 in the E7KL engine group
1 reply is an early E7KL engine - the engine was replaced but I assume the clutch slave bracket followed to the new engine.
1 reply is a later E7KL engine
This makes me believe all the E7KL engines have the Rootes bracket.

Evidence is slim with only 3 replies.
I would like to hear from anyone with an early engine or a Competition Tiger to know which bracket.

Ron Fraser