CSR Mini Starter for Manual

sandy

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I had picked up the wrong starter for my build a few years ago and now will be selling it off.

This is for a MANUAL FORD transmission that require the SHORT throw starter. This will not work on later model 5.0 style or others that need the longer reach starter. It can be clocked tight against the block and has a build in starter solenoid that will require a jumper if you want to retain the stock Tiger solenoid for looks. This is similar to the Powermaster super compact starter. Only fitted, but never used.

Take it away for $100 CASH. I reserve the right to sell or not sell and to whom.

WILL NOT SHIP, PICK UP IN STUDIO CITY, CA 91604 ZIP

Ask questions, picks bellow

20240828_095856.jpg

20240828_095901.jpg

20240828_095905.jpg

sandy

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Will your starter work on a 5 bolt 289, stock Tiger bell housing with a 157 tooth flywheel?
I think it will, but you would have to verify to be sure. Look online for more info on the way to tell. If it doesn't fit OK to return if your careful with it when testing.

Sandy

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I had picked up the wrong starter for my build a few years ago and now will be selling it off.

This is for a MANUAL FORD transmission that require the SHORT throw starter. This will not work on later model 5.0 style or others that need the longer reach starter. It can be clocked tight against the block and has a build in starter solenoid that will require a jumper if you want to retain the stock Tiger solenoid for looks. This is similar to the Powermaster super compact starter. Only fitted, but never used.

Take it away for $100 CASH. I reserve the right to sell or not sell and to whom.

WILL NOT SHIP, PICK UP IN STUDIO CITY, CA 91604 ZIP

Ask questions, picks bellow

View attachment 19910

View attachment 19911

View attachment 19912
Wish we were closer. I have a good use for that critter.

catatonic

Silver forum user
Until you mentioned that there were both short and long throw starters, I had no idea that was the case. My internet search came up empty. If you could give me the starter part number, it would allow me to verify if it would work in my engine.

catatonic

Silver forum user
Thanks for that information. I also went to the CSR website, which was pretty much useless. I will call CSR on Tuesday and see if the 105U starter will work in my 289.

Max B

Bronze forum user
CAT Member
My Understanding…
There are basically different reaches on ford starters. Short and long reach. I believe short reach is for manuals, longer for automatic. If you have a short reach, the pinion will not stick out of end of starter, but will be flush. The long reach pinions will stick out when retracted. You can measure the distance from the starter mounting surface to gear. Then test starter out of car with battery to see actual reach. Compare that reach from starter mounting base to reach on pinion.
My 4 speed toploader 289 6 bolt shows long reach (automatic) starter. I bought high torque mini starter. I put paint around the pinion gears on both starters to check engagement when cranking. Long reach showed complete gear engagement, short reach only around half.
Didnt make sense, but my Tiger also has a Lakewood scatter shield I suppose was used to mate 6 bolt to narrow ration toploader.

This is what I recall, and I will be happy with any correction.

Good Luck,
Max

sandy

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Max, pretty much what I understand. Old 4 speeds use short engagement starter, later and aftermarket 4/5 speeds, automatics use longer reach. You can measure face of block plate to ring gear teeth to determine

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
It’s not a mystery. Measure from the back of the ring gear teeth to the face of the mount plate. This distance is how far the starter gear must throw out when engaging. Measuring to the front of the ring gear will give the distance of the starter gear at rest.