Hood Bonnet Prop Rod

sandy

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Did the same treatment with the hood prop rod. Used some of the spring loaded rod ends that snap on to a ball stud. Ran into a fitment issue when I started putting things back together with the prop rod hitting the Ignition coil. Par for the course as they say... Otherwise just need to get a hood back on the car to make that part.

Added the 2 Ball Studs to the existing mounts, the one closest to the front was welded up as it seemed to be loose. So caught that before painting it.

20240906_114145.jpg

Measuring the length of the needed rod. One side was already done.
20240906_114206.jpg

The aluminum tubing was for shifter rods, so the ID of the tube was made for directly tapping a 3/8-24 thread
20240906_120414.jpg

Looking good or so I thought...
20240906_122203.jpg

See could hold something
20240906_122217.jpg

Missed it by that much (picture of fingers close together). Seems I mounted the MSD coil just a bit too high, more holes will solve that problem!
20240906_153538.jpg

With the coil moved down (mostly twisted) a bit, the prop rod can be removed and now does not hit the coil.
20240906_163708.jpg

Last edited:

Carbuilder

Gold forum user
Is the idea to leave it clipped onto the 2 ball studs on the car, and then when in use you release one end and clip it onto a ball stud on the hood? That's pretty cool.

sandy

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Is the idea to leave it clipped onto the 2 ball studs on the car, and then when in use you release one end and clip it onto a ball stud on the hood? That's pretty cool.

Yes, exactly. I had a snap in plastic clip for one side but I liked the secure of the metal to metal lock. Also it could be used in the Trunk/Boot as a prop rod as a back up as it's almost the same length. The ends are expensive, about $25 each in stainless, much less in plain steel. Likely a smaller size too would be a better choice as these are 3/8" but 5/16" would be perfect.

Sandy

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Yes, exactly. I had a snap in plastic clip for one side but I liked the secure of the metal to metal lock. Also it could be used in the Trunk/Boot as a prop rod as a back up as it's almost the same length. The ends are expensive, about $25 each in stainless, much less in plain steel. Likely a smaller size too would be a better choice as these are 3/8" but 5/16" would be perfect.

Sandy
What was your reason for not using the original prop rod?

sandy

Gold forum user
CAT Member
What was your reason for not using the original prop rod?
Mostly because :)

But in my eyes it's a pretty flimsy part and thought I could do better. It's really not something I would use on this build.

Sandy

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
As I've always said, I see nothing wrong with an owner doing it their way.