Making a dashboard

Carbuilder

Gold forum user
My car is not stock at all, so I'm not concerned with modifying parts of it. I'm adding A/C, power steering, new instruments and switches, so I need a new dashboard.

I do have some woodworking and car painting experience and tools, so I figured I'd give it a try.

I recently bought a laser cutter and it is very cool for cutting plywood, up to 1/4" cleanly, maybe 3/8", and above that with more than 1 pass. So I wanted to use that to cut the dash to save a lot of hand sawing and hole cutting. Also, I could rough out mockups from cardboard and then from thinner/cheaper plywood as I got closer to a finished design.

Basically I'm adding 4 vents for the A/C and a spot for the radio by dropping the middle of it down. Of course the way I've made this one could just as well be used to remake a stock one or to just re-veneer it. This is how I chose to make and finish it.

Since the laser is not large enough to cut the dash in one piece, I did it in several pieces. There is another reason for doing it this way. The switches go in from the front and have sawtooth tabs on the sides that prevent the switch from coming back out easily. But the tabs are meant for thinner dash's (I wanted mine to be about 3/8" thick). Also, the A/C vents are sort of the same in that the collars that screw on from the back to hold them in place will barely engage with a 3/8" thick dash. So I cut a front layer from 1/4" plywood, and a rear layer from 1/8". The rear layer has larger holes for the switches and vents so the retention features work well as they are only going through the 1/4" layer. I staggered the seams to keep everything strong.

Screenshot 2024-09-04 at 6.15.26 PM.jpg

Metal working hobby comes in handy for weighing down the parts when glueing.

Screenshot 2024-09-06 at 5.41.08 PM.jpg

Screenshot 2024-09-04 at 6.15.49 PM.jpg

This is now 3/8" thick, which seems about right for strength. I have a mahogany steering wheel that I was more or less trying to match. Wasn't super fussy about it, but wanted it close, so a mahogany veneer was needed.

I found that Lee Valley (that I buy a lot supplies from) has rolls of very thin veneer. When I say thin, I'm not kidding. This is paper backed veneer that is 1/100" thick.....including the paper! I was a little concerned if this would work, but decided it would and bought a roll of the mahogany. The rolls are 2' x 8', so a lot left over but only $70 Canadian. I made sure the dash was very smooth, especially the seams as there really is no allowance for sanding the veneer.

I glued it on with epoxy that I had left over from a project. The same epoxy that I planned on using for finishing it.

Screenshot 2024-09-06 at 5.41.26 PM.jpg

Screenshot 2024-09-04 at 6.16.06 PM.jpg

You can see the sample panel that I tried various stains to get close to the color of the steering wheel. In testing I found that the "natural" that was basically colourless did make the veneer quite a different color; the one on the left. The mahogany stain was too dark. I ended up mixing a little of the mahogany stain into the natural and that came out very nice.

Screenshot 2024-09-06 at 5.53.57 PM.jpg

I gave it a very thin coat of epoxy to seal the grain without making bubbles that you get with a thicker layer. I gave it a light sanding with a random orbital sander to smooth it and kill any gloss in preparation for the next coat of epoxy. Remember when I said the veneer was very thin and didn't allow for any sanding? I was right. I ended up sanding through in a couple places that must have been a touch higher than the surrounding area.

Screenshot 2024-09-06 at 5.58.27 PM.jpg

I tried putting more stain on those areas, but it didn't work since they have some epoxy soaked in that sealed the grain. Damn! What to do?

Rick

Last edited:

Carbuilder

Gold forum user
Continuing...

I came up with something I thought might work and Google'd if epoxy would cure over it.....it would.

I borrowed my wife's pencil crayons. At that point she came over to see what I was up to. Being much more artistic than myself, she took a number of different shades of brown and filled in the area. It really came out nice!

Screenshot 2024-09-06 at 5.58.43 PM.jpg

Yes, you can see it if you know it is there, but on the finished dashboard it just looks like some of the grain pattern.

Another thicker coat of epoxy and then sanded to kill the gloss; much more careful, finer sanding this time. I wanted a couple more coats to build up a decent layer.

Screenshot 2024-09-06 at 6.11.40 PM.jpg

But I was getting bubbles in the epoxy. When sanded, it breaks through them; they show up white because they have sanding residue in them. When blown out they don't show as much, but are still there.

Screenshot 2024-09-06 at 6.11.55 PM.jpg

I don't know how many coats I ended up putting on and sanding in an attempt to get a coat on without any bubbles. I read every article and tried everything and nothing would prevent them. Then I had a thought. The bubbles were near the surface so when I sanded into them, if I keep sanding enough to eliminate them that would be OK since there was a decent thickness of epoxy below. That worked.

Now comes the fun part...finishing it.

Rick

Carbuilder

Gold forum user
Finishing the dashboard.

Let me digress to explain how/why I finished it like I did. As a hobby I make custom badges for cars from aluminum. I CNC a design into them, color the design, and then clear powder coat the badge to protect the aluminum. Someone asked for a polished one early on and I put a polishing wheel on the grinder and used a polishing compound. It took too long and really didn't get a good finish. Well it did, but any sanding scratches of course show up, so I gave up on polished ones. Then sometime later I had out all my various grits of pads from sanding/polishing car paint. These all go on a 6" random orbital sander. I started with 180 grit and worked my way up. It only took about 30 seconds with each grit and when done it looked almost polished. Not quite as good as polishing, but very close.

So with that in mind, I thought I would try the same approach on the dash. First sanded it with 180 grit to remove all the bubbles and high spots and get it nice and smooth:

Screenshot 2024-09-06 at 6.24.28 PM.jpg

Then I used 400 and then 600:

Screenshot 2024-09-06 at 6.24.43 PM.jpg

Now the magic starts to happen. You can see what grit I'm using on the pads:

Screenshot 2024-09-06 at 6.24.53 PM.jpg

Screenshot 2024-09-06 at 6.25.03 PM.jpg

Screenshot 2024-09-06 at 6.25.12 PM.jpg

Then I used the 4000 pad with some automotive rubbing compound:

Screenshot 2024-09-06 at 6.25.22 PM.jpg

At this stage I was going to leave it as it was the finish I was after. But then did do 2 more steps. I used a finer polishing compound and then some wax to protect it.

Screenshot 2024-09-06 at 6.26.20 PM.jpg

I was really pleased how it came out and it took a total of about 20 minutes. Matches the steering wheel very nicely:

Screenshot 2024-09-06 at 6.25.39 PM.jpg

Screenshot 2024-09-04 at 6.16.37 PM.jpg

Screenshot 2024-09-04 at 6.16.53 PM.jpg

When I finish the wiring in the car I'll install it and really see what it looks like.

Rick

Last edited:

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I think you probably would regret not creating a glove box door later and having that extra storage.

I assume you are deleting the padded under dash rail? How will you be supporting it? Do you plan on adding some finishing detail to the underside profile and side of your lowered centre console?

How does the extension of the middle of the dash relate to the trans tunnel?

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Finishing the dashboard.

Let me digress to explain how/why I finished it like I did. As a hobby I make custom badges for cars from aluminum. I CNC a design into them, color the design, and then clear powder coat the badge to protect the aluminum. Someone asked for a polished one early on and I put a polishing wheel on the grinder and used a polishing compound. It took too long and really didn't get a good finish. Well it did, but any sanding scratches of course show up, so I gave up on polished ones. Then sometime later I had out all my various grits of pads from sanding/polishing car paint. These all go on a 6" random orbital sander. I started with 180 grit and worked my way up. It only took about 30 seconds with each grit and when done it looked almost polished. Not quite as good as polishing, but very close.

So with that in mind, I thought I would try the same approach on the dash. First sanded it with 180 grit to remove all the bubbles and high spots and get it nice and smooth:

View attachment 19956

Then I used 400 and then 600:

View attachment 19957

Now the magic starts to happen. You can see what grit I'm using on the pads:

View attachment 19958

View attachment 19959

View attachment 19960

Then I used the 4000 pad with some automotive rubbing compound:

View attachment 19961

At this stage I was going to leave it as it was the finish I was after. But then did do 2 more steps. I used a finer polishing compound and then some wax to protect it.

View attachment 19962

I was really pleased how it came out and it took a total of about 20 minutes. Matches the steering wheel very nicely:

View attachment 19963

View attachment 19964

View attachment 19965

When I finish the wiring in the car I'll install it and really see what it looks like.

Rick
That looks great! The finish looks very smooth. I don't remember you mentioning where the evaporator is located but I know of several owners that have them mounted on the right where the cubby box would have set. Where did you install the evaporator? Tiger Tom in Pa. made the dash in my photo. He used 3/8 " marine grade plywood and installed a very similar veneer. He found that the self leveling craft epoxy he was using soaked thru the veneer and lifted the glue holding the veneer. Clear lacquer did the job the second time around. Several coats sanded and buffed and it worked great. Are you using the rocker style switches?

100_0341.JPG

Last edited:

Carbuilder

Gold forum user
I think you probably would regret not creating a glove box door later and having that extra storage.

I assume you are deleting the padded under dash rail? How will you be supporting it? Do you plan on adding some finishing detail to the underside profile and side of your lowered centre console?

How does the extension of the middle of the dash relate to the trans tunnel?

I don't have room for a glove box with everything going on behind the dash. When the fuse panel is moved up into position it is where a glove box would be. And the A/C vents also come close to that area.

Screenshot 2024-09-07 at 9.37.16 AM.jpg

Yes, the padded dash rail is too thick for my liking. I will be adding something to the lower edge of the dash. Not sure right now what I will use; maybe some type of rubber molding or something very low profile covered with vinyl.

I have the upper holes for mounting the dash like the stock one; you can see them in the early pictures of the dash. I decided not to punch them through the veneer yet as I've got an idea for hidden mounting hardware. I haven't got anything yet for the lower part. When I get things to a more finished state I'll see where to add some support brackets.

This shows one of the mockups with the full dash. I went with this design to not have any intrusion into the driver or passenger area. The centre area where the tunnel is is not useful space, so the dash being lower in that area works well.

Screenshot 2024-09-07 at 9.36.23 AM.jpg

Carbuilder

Gold forum user
That looks great! The finish looks very smooth. I don't remember you mentioning where the evaporator is located but I know of several owners that have them mounted on the right where the cubby box would have set. Where did you install the evaporator? Tiger Tom in Pa. made the dash in my photo. He used 3/8 " marine grade plywood and installed a very similar veneer. He found that the self leveling craft epoxy he was using soaked thru the veneer and lifted the glue holding the veneer. Clear lacquer did the job the second time around. Several coats sanded and buffed and it worked great. Are you using the rocker style switches?

Thank you very much.

I used an under dash A/C and heat unit and moved it up so it is behind the dash.

Screenshot 2024-09-07 at 9.58.11 AM.jpg

I glued the veneer on with epoxy since I was concerned with veneer that thin that any water-based adhesive might cause it to distort. Didn't think the epoxy over it would soak through...it either didn't or the epoxy holding it down prevented it from lifting.

Yes, I'm using rocker switches. I love the look ever since seeing the first XKE with that long row of them. I got these from a marine supply place that has a lot of choices of labels, and also an option to create your own.

Screenshot 2024-09-07 at 9.45.16 AM.jpg

One of the early mockups wth the switches, instruments, and A/C vents installed:

Screenshot 2024-09-07 at 9.45.48 AM.jpg

It's been a fun project.

Rick

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Thank you very much.

I used an under dash A/C and heat unit and moved it up so it is behind the dash.

View attachment 19972

I glued the veneer on with epoxy since I was concerned with veneer that thin that any water-based adhesive might cause it to distort. Didn't think the epoxy over it would soak through...it either didn't or the epoxy holding it down prevented it from lifting.

Yes, I'm using rocker switches. I love the look ever since seeing the first XKE with that long row of them. I got these from a marine supply place that has a lot of choices of labels, and also an option to create your own.

View attachment 19973

One of the early mockups wth the switches, instruments, and A/C vents installed:

View attachment 19974

It's been a fun project.

Rick
You'll see in my photo of the GT that in 1968 Sunbeam went to the rocker style switch other than the washer pump. I installed a momentary switch from some Honda inside the pump housing and it controls the pump in the washer fluid bag. You can see the pump at the bottom of the bag. This bag is from a Mazda and gives you more space in the engine compartment.

100_0254.JPG

Carbuilder

Gold forum user
That is a disgustingly clean engine compartment! :)

Nice job with the washer fluid reservoir. My car didn't come with one....not sure why. I bought a nice little aluminum unit with pump and mounted it here:

Screenshot 2024-09-07 at 6.01.30 PM.jpg

I removed it and put the fuel pressure regulator there (for the fuel injection I changed to from the carb). Now there is no room there with the regulator, the A/C lines, and probably heater hoses at some point:

Screenshot 2024-09-07 at 6.02.49 PM.jpg

I sort of forgot about it until I saw it on the bench. I was keeping the hose short, but mounting it closer to the firewall, like yours, I'll find some room.