Need mufflers

ahetzel

Gold forum user
I have a pretty stock muffler system and need to replace the muffler and can't find a size small enough. Here is that I see:

*Exhaust pipe measures 1.770" outside diameter on both sides of the muffler
*Muffler case is 11" long, 8.5" wide
*Inlet is offset
*Outlet in centered
*Pipes slip into each end of the muffler and are clamped

Is this fairly stock and any ideas on where to get small 1.75" mufflers?

Attachments

• Tiger muffler.jpg
    Tiger muffler.jpg
    181.9 KB · Views: 133
  • Tiger mufflers 2.jpg
    Tiger mufflers 2.jpg
    283.8 KB · Views: 124

Forrest39

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Check out the Chevy Lumina muffler. Its close in size but needs to have one of the ends stepped down in size. I got a set but haven't got to that part of the project yet...
-Kevin

ahetzel

Gold forum user
Hot dog muffler would be my pick for easy and throaty but my pipes are offset so can't do it without moving the pipes. I looked at the Lumina muffler thanks, and will continue to look some more. The existing mufflers are great in that they have a great V8 rumble but aren't too loud, just hoping to find the same thing.

Warren

Gold forum user
Choices

Having seen a set in the rusty pile of stuff outside Dale's....
I'm wondering is the only reasonable facsimile a S.S. stainless set?
I'm very interested in this topic as well.

The picture below are these hot dogs?
Do have a picture of what's said to be LAT 2" pipes and mufflers .

Attachments

• IMG_20190717_184205.jpg
    IMG_20190717_184205.jpg
    5.3 MB · Views: 124

hottigr

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Turbo?

I blew out one of my no-name mufflers awhile back. I called an old time muffler guy and told him what it looked like- inlet offset, outlet centered, the approximate dimensions (can't remember at the moment) and he said it sounds like a turbo muffler. I went down there and sure enough, he had an exact match. Love the sound. Not too little or too much exhaust note, and no irritating resonate frequencies at any engine speed. Kirk

Forrest39

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Just a thought... is there any numbering or marking on the existing mufflers to tell you what they are so you can get a direct swap?

mr55s

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Muffler

The stainless exhaust system you buy from Sunbeam Specialties is made by “Falcon” I believe, which includes the mufflers. Try contacting the UK supplier to see if you can purchase just the mufflers. Just an idea. I hopes this helps Arnie.
Brian

Warren

Gold forum user
Not available

The pictured ones not the 525.00 dollar ones from S.S.

Attachments

• Muffler ad.jpg
    Muffler ad.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 132

ABSunbeams

Gold forum user
Tiger exhaust mufflers

Arnie-I purchased an exhaust system for my Mk1 in 2010 from Laurent Parquet I believe he is near Quebec. He made custom systems and showed them at the United in Maine. I don't know if he is in business but some Canadians may know of his system. The muffler had an optional baffle to quite it down if wanted.
Al

Attachments

• IMG_1092.JPG
    IMG_1092.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 137
  • IMG_1089.JPG
    IMG_1089.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 148