Original Tiger tools

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I ran across a photo of a set of tools that I bought from Doug Jennings a few years back. He said this set was in the first Tiger that he bought in the 60's.
107_1150.JPG

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
That set is correct - do you know the VIN?
No, I don't know the VIN. This set does have the knave plate tool that was in the late series Alpines so it could be from a MK 1A. I know it wasn't a MK 2 that these tools came from. My late series 4 Alpine has the hub cap tool that is 7/16 " wide and our series 5 has the 3/4 " tool. I've asked many if the tool kit was put together with the Tiger plug tool before the trimmed JAL body left Ryton for the trip to Jenson or did Jenson swap the plug tool as part of doing the Tiger conversion. I've never gotten an answer to my question.

BillRo

Gold forum user
As far as I know, Pressed Steel built the trimmed bodies at their Cowley plant and shipped them directly to Jensen in West Bromwich. Jensen then welded in the Tiger-specific parts and installed the engines and running gear etc. to complete the cars. They were then transported to Ryton (Alpine assembly plant) for delivery prep and distribution. I would suspect that loose items like tool kits and Jacks etc. were put in at that time (together with Alpines) prior to shipping for export or dealers. I doubt tool kits would have been put in cars at Jensen since it would not have been convenient (two sets of stores) and there would have been a possibility of pilferage.

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
It looks like more questions concerning the building of the car that there are no definite answers for. It's no wonder Rootes went bankrupt.

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I doubt tool kits would have been put in cars at Jensen since it would not have been convenient (two sets of stores) and there would have been a possibility of pilferage.
100% agree.
As disorganised and inefficient as Rootes were no way they were installing the loose items there at Jensen when thats the last stuff that would need to go in before they leave for delivery.

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
The tools didn't stay in the car for very long. The useable pieces ended up in the owners tool box. The tools aren't that hard to find and buy unless you want the original Tiger plug socket. Just about everything else was generic to other marques. I recently bought a complete Alpine kit including a grease gun and the sump wrench for all Alpines up thru series 4 and a tool roll for $255.00.

Warren

Gold forum user
Bill That's how I remember the build story being told to me by Graham Vickery , since he's a one or the RACT trustees that's good enough for me. As the starter of a thread one might want to keep it on the rails so to speak.

Back to the topic.
Schrader valve remover is too clean to be original. I'd scrub it with 600 and then grab it with messy fingers. Lee sold a bunch after he bought them from a UK supplier as a repop.

I think Bill pointed out that the Mark 2 had a bigger wrench for the top of the oil cooler. I believe it's also correct on early cars to have a chrome plated Brit tool Tommy bar. Maybe the judges will unroll the bag and inspect them. Nearly everyone plays mix and match with tools parts. What's the likelihood of changing plugs on the road as part of an emergency kit .
As for the Schrader valve remover I've never used one on anything but a motorcycle tire when patching inner tube..
If you're willing to shop eBay UK pay outrageous shipping and sales tax in your state now you can find most of these things.
If you want the Tommy bar a member here sells them reproduced . Bill may still have some more of his reproduction sockets but they are for looks only. There's also a reproduction bag made and you can get a strap from Moss motors so don't buy one on eBay that's been cut down and made to fit. Or maybe it's now Victoria British I can't remember who bought who.

* Correction oil cooler size wrench.

Last edited:

BillRo

Gold forum user
If you are interested in tool kits, I have updated my tool kit article and Theo Smit posted it above in the new Tiger Articles section of this Forum.

kenmat

Silver forum user
CAT Member
Question: Isn't the picture missing the little tool shaped like a key (Says Lucas on it) that is used to adjust the points???Which would bring the total number of tools to 12??

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Question: Isn't the picture missing the little tool shaped like a key (Says Lucas on it) that is used to adjust the points???Which would bring the total number of tools to 12??
FYI, these tools were stored away on a shelf in the shop for many years. Gosh only knows what happened.

BillRo

Gold forum user
Some people have told me that the Lucas Distributor Key was included in their kits and I am sure it is true, However:
1. The "Distributor Key" is not included in the tool parts list for the Tiger. It is for the Alpine, which is probably why some mistakenly ended up in Tigers since both were prepped for delivery at Ryton.
2. The Lucas Key measures a points gap of .014 - .016; the feeler itself measures .015". Per the Tiger Workshop Manual the points gap for a Ford 260 (Mk 1 or Mk IA) is .015" and for the 289 (Mk II) it is .017". So it would work for a Mk I but not a Mk II.