Special Bolts???

KettleCarver

Gold forum user
Do Sunbeams take some sort of special English bolts? I tried to match up the bolts for the bell crank trunk hinges. A bolt list that I found on the CAT forum said they should be 1/4 - 28 bolts, however, they do not actually fit. I found a bolt with what looks like an "8" on its head (see bolt pic) that seems really close to a 1/4 - 28, but not exactly the same. That did fit in the trunk lid for the hinges.

Is there a vendor that sells pre-packed bolt kits for these cars? I am missing a ton of bolts for my car.

Thanks!

Marty

Attachments

• Trunk lid bolt.jpg
    Trunk lid bolt.jpg
    473.1 KB · Views: 41

HolyCat

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Hi Marty!
I am not familiar with the term "bell crank trunk hinges". The Alpine parts manual indicates that the trunk hinges use screws that are 1/4" UNF x 13/32" and nuts the same threads. For 1/4" threaded fasteners, UNF is 28 threads per inch. The 2screws go into the trunk hinges next to the lip of the trunk and the nuts used elsewhere. If you were talking about the trunk supports (to which the springs are attached), then those do use 1/4" UNF x 1/2" bolts. If that is what you have and are having difficulty with 1/4" x 28 bolts going in, you might need to chase the female threads. If you do decide to chase the threads, please be careful. Go slowly and do not use much force. Good luck!

1949FL

Silver forum user
CAT Member
Marty,
Sunbeams do not take special bolts in my experience except in an Alpine. The Stromberg Carbs used floats that were Whitworth fittings and it is easier to install and remove them with Whitworth tools. That being said, I travelled down to my Sunbeam stash and found 2 hinges that I seem to remember removing from an old Series V I had to send to the recyclers. The part of the hinge in the trunk area had machine screws with flat washer and lock washers. The hardware in the rear scuttle had studs and nuts with flat and lock washers. The reason being so the finish of the trunk lid was nicer looking on the inside and would not catch on items in the boot area. I have included pictures of the hinges and you can see the screw in pix 2. The studs and nuts are visible in both pictures. The Alpine Parts manual has in the Series III and onward the following:
1/4" Unf equals 28 tpi. I cannot explain why bolts of this size did not fit correctly. The screw is an oval head and can be troubling to find. There is a vender on eBay that sells a fastener kit of nuts and bolts, it used to be 200.00 plus shipping.
1609713410336.png

Attachments

• Trunk hinge 2.jpg
    Trunk hinge 2.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 45
  • Trunk hinge 1.jpg
    Trunk hinge 1.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 43

HolyCat

Gold forum user
CAT Member
If you look at the number per vehicle, you will see that there are only 2 screws associated with the trunk hinges. Those go into the hinges through the trunk, near the front edge of the trunk. The end of the hinge closest to the rear has the threaded stud, which gets the nut. The part of the hinge that attaches to the body has the threaded stud also. Note that the parts manual specifies 4 nuts per vehicle.

Trunk Hinges.JPG

KettleCarver

Gold forum user
I guess I am not familiar with the terminology on these cars yet. I am trying to install the trunk support arms that the springs attach to. So, it looks like UNF means 28 threads per inch.

I tried the 1/4 - 28 bolts, but did not fit. I did not want to try chasing the threads until I verified the correct size. Now that I know, I will chase them tomorrow. It seems that all of the bolts in the hinge and latches use the same size bolt.

Thanks!

Marty

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
In years past there were reproduction trunk hinges that had metric threads instead of standard 14X28. You may have one of these sets.

HolyCat

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I guess I am not familiar with the terminology on these cars yet. I am trying to install the trunk support arms that the springs attach to. So, it looks like UNF means 28 threads per inch.
Marty,

The number of threads per inch for UNF or UNC depends on the size (1/4", 3/8", 1/2", etc.) of the hardware.

The trunk support arms do use 1/4" UNF bolts 1/2" long. Below is part of a page shot from the Alpine parts manual show Plate E of Section YX. I believe you are looking for the bolts that go through the trunk support bracket (number 302 in the illustration) into the trunk lid. Also below is another part of a page shot from the same manual, but from the parts list section. Note that it calls out for a total (for the vehicle) of four 1/4" UNF bolts (1/2" long) and a total of four 1/4" shakeproof washers. These are for attaching to the trunk lid and have Rootes part numbers 19504042 and 9664162, respectively. Each of the support arms attach to the body via a couple of 1/4" washers and a 1/4" UNF nut.

Since many parts are common to both the Alpine and the Tiger, it is a good idea to have a copy of the Rootes Parts Manual for each. I bought both on CD. While I recommend these, I have no relationship to anybody selling them.

David
Body Fittings Plate E Sect YX.JPG
Trunk Supports Parts.JPG

Last edited:

KenF

Gold forum user
Marty, look and see if the threads have been repaired with a Heli-Coil, maybe they used metric instead. I had to do that on a couple of my hinge threads, but used 1/4-28. That metal doesn't take well to being over tightened.

KettleCarver

Gold forum user
For clarity of conversation, I am trying to install part #302 in the diagram. I am also trying to install part #299 and #300. They all appear to use the same bolts.

So, what is a "shakeproof washer"? Is that a spring washer?

HolyCat

Gold forum user
CAT Member
If we look at the page that lists the part numbers, we see that the "shakeproof washer" for this application has part number 9664162. In the same Alpine parts manual, Section ZY has all the fasteners. This part number is identified as being an "I.S." type washer. See below.

The codes for the washers is found on another page. See below also.

So it is an internal shakeproof washer. The only type of washer I know of that has an internal feature is a star or toothed washer, NOT a spring type washer (which would be type S.C.S.). I love the parts manuals!

David

Alpine Parts ZY - Washers.JPG

Alpine Parts ZY - Washer Definition.JPG

66TigerMK1A

Gold forum user
Just a FYI... here is a list of bolts for Tigers from Tigers United website http://www.tigersunited.com/techtips/KJensenBolts/rt-KJensenBolts1.asp

I bought the kit from Totally Stainless a few years ago and it is pretty complete and does not include any 'structural' bolts but does have things like the hard to find #4 oval head slotted screws for the kick panels etc. They don't list the kit in their catalogue as the list wasn't compiled by them but just ask and they DO have it

Last edited:

KettleCarver

Gold forum user
If we look at the page that lists the part numbers, we see that the "shakeproof washer" for this application has part number 9664162. In the same Alpine parts manual, Section ZY has all the fasteners. This part number is identified as being an "I.S." type washer. See below.

The codes for the washers is found on another page. See below also.

So it is an internal shakeproof washer. The only type of washer I know of that has an internal feature is a star or toothed washer, NOT a spring type washer (which would be type S.C.S.). I love the parts manuals!

David

View attachment 12692

View attachment 12693
Ok, I see that. Lukily I have a package of those star toothed internal washers.

Chasing the threads did the trick. I was just hesitant to chase them until I knew for sure that it was the correct size.

I need to get the Alpine parts manual.

With the threads chased, it enabled me to get the supports installed. Now I can work in the trunk without the lid coming down on my head.

Thanks for the replies.

Attachments

• Trunk support left.jpg
    Trunk support left.jpg
    957.4 KB · Views: 42
  • Trunk support Rt..jpg
    Trunk support Rt..jpg
    916.6 KB · Views: 48

KettleCarver

Gold forum user
Just a FYI... here is a list of bolts for Tigers from Tigers United website http://www.tigersunited.com/techtips/KJensenBolts/rt-KJensenBolts1.asp

I bought the kit from Totally Stainless a few years ago and it is pretty complete and does not include any 'structural' bolts but does have things like the hard to find #4 oval head slotted screws for the kick panels etc. They don't list the kit in their catalogue as the list wasn't compiled by them but just ask and they DO have it
Thanks, I'll have to check with them.