Decals for defrost/heater control

66GRRR

New forum user
I am restoring dash to proper burlwood, and need to replace decals on the defrost heater control indicator. Any ideas?
Thanks, Bob

at the beach

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Usually those are silk screened. Mike Mulvey & Doug Jennings collect a batch and then have them all painted at once. You might check with one of them.

tundratiger67

Bronze forum user
Heater Bezel Decals

I few years back, if memory serves, I bought a set of decals from Paul BREUHAN, a graphic artist and Tiger owner that lives in Michigan. I know he's a member of TEAE. Don't know if he still has them but you might want to do a google search for his website. Good luck!

Randy Z.
Duluth, MN

prbreuhan

New forum user
Bob,
I can help you. I can send you the lettering and you can do it yourself, or I can do the whole deal. Contact me directly and we can talk about it via email or over the phone.

heater.jpg

Also comes with al the dash lettering...and lettering for the metal tags.

alllettering.gif

(Type is actually white)

I might as well post all the pictures I have so...

Here are other examples of what I have done...

vintag.jpg

Early and Late VIN tag lettering (Late plate is shown).

oldnewamps.jpg

Original Stock Lucas Amp gauge on left...relettered one on the right.

8k7ktachs.jpg

From left to right...8K Autometer tachometer...Tiger Speedometer...and 7K tachometer (please ignore the fingerprint smudge on the glass, I need to retake the photograph)...all to match.

3small.jpg

Three small gauges.

Custom stuff can be done...

abclock.jpg

Relettered Autometer Clock (new lettering on the left and original lettering on the right).

vac.jpg

AC Delco Vacuum Gauge.

volts.jpg

Sunpro Volt Gauge.

The lettering could be done in other colors...white type on a red background...blue type on a white background....the only limit is your imagination.

I am thinking of doing a complete gauge set with Arctic White backgrounds and black lettering for my own car.

I have been running relettered gauges in my Tiger now for over 3 years and they still look as good as the day that I restored them. I would not offer anything that I would not use myself. I am very picky (pain in the butt)...just ask my friends.

Paul

Pooloo

Bronze forum user
Speedo

Hello Paul

I m Paul too ,i m in France and i got a 260 since few weeks.
I ve seen your great work on the post and i would like to know if i you sell the gauges? I need a speedo,and,to have everything in Jaeger,the vac ,the temp,the battery and oil pressure gauges.
Is that is possible?

Thank you

Paul

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Heat Control Bezel

Paul did a couple for us on some customers' projects and the owners were very pleased. thx

Warren

Gold forum user
Speedo suggestion

My speedo has the input shaft square hole made round somehow. I can only guess PO had allowed it to work loose and work itself round. Also the Tach seems to work if the ballast resistor is jumped the needle will.

So ? is what is the cost on average to repair speedo, and is there a So. Cal. suggested vendor or ?

Also is it cost effective to change out tach and replace face and bezel or repair.
Thanks W.

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
For the gagues MOMA and Nosinger are the 2 most often mentioned (though i remember some talk of MOMA has split.. maybe just the MO is doing it now?) a quick search with those names + sunbeam on google or the tiger mailling list should get you their details.

Warren

Gold forum user
Speedo

My pal with an old Fiat just got a bill for $250 on his from a repair guy. I have heard of a place in San Diego that does a lot of motorcycle units for about 100. There is a place named Pauls in Redondo Beach that has been there since the 80's and I have never gone in. I'd just like to get a ballpark of cost and ideas before I rip into it.

On the tach side maybe a refit and a dial face change is the way to go since I am looking at changing the dual point FoMoCo dist. as well, so the cost on that would be nice to know too.

I have heard that bouncing needles are from a bearing problem, maybe from an old wife as that is a tidbit learned from IDK where.

Thanks W

cadreamn67

Platinum Forum Member
Bouncing speedo needle

I have also heard that a worn speedo cable housing can be the culprit. Given the rather contourted path and bends the speedo cable takes on its way from the trans to the speedo, it can wear spots in the housing which will then cause intermittent hangups of the flexible "shaft" inside. The CAT parts warehouse lists the cables or at least had them at one time.

Cheers, Gene

PS: Mine has been bouncing for decades. When it went out completely in the 70's and money was especially tight, I just learned how to read my speed from the tach (e.g., 60 mph is 2500 rpm in 4th gear, 72 mph is 3000 rpm!)

TigerBlue

Gold forum user
Right on

Yes, even when I change tires from 13 to 14 inch the TOMTOM gives accurate speed.;)

Rick

cadreamn67

Platinum Forum Member
Bob and Rick, although I definitely do not consider myself a purist, I cannot help but make an observation that a GPS is really not "period correct"...! :D

Cheers, Gene

steven

Gold forum user
Bob and Rick, although I definitely do not consider myself a purist, I cannot help but make an observation that a GPS is really not "period correct"...! :D

Cheers, Gene

Maybe not, however can save a pullover by the boys in blue.
Oh also can be locked in the centre console and period correct again.:)
Steven

cadreamn67

Platinum Forum Member
Steven, your point is well made! As I said I definitely am not a purist myself. In building up my 347 I prefer to keep it looking externally as stock as possible. Hence the original generator, timing cover, oil dipstick, etc. More for the "sleeper effect" than anything else. I will also confess to not being period correct when I pull the Valentine1 out of the console and attach it to the windshield!

My apologies to all for hijacking the thread for the sake of social commentary.:D

Cheers, Gene

tgrrr

Silver forum user

Cheers, Gene

That's ok...
I moved beyond original hose clamps some time ago.

Bob

Warren

Gold forum user
Speedo

Just dropped mine off at a place in Redondo named Pauls on PCH. He has been there for 20 or so years..
My speedo had a mind of its own. Paul also offered a guts change out on the tach where he changes the board inside to make it work with modern ign.

I have seen the Tiger page that suggests the proper flux capacitor or whatever capacitor it was but they are starting with a tach that works. All I can get was a bounce after by passing the ballast resistor.

Since modern ign. is in the future I will probably drop the tach off. He said it is about 100 bucks for the tach and should call with a estimate today..

Do not want to spend the grocery money with Thanksgiving coming!! My goose is boiling with the time, dollars and love shown the new girl..

Suggestions on the tach? and ballpark prices..?