Holy Cat Batman! Mk2

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
MK2

I noticed last week that the state highway garage has the salt brine trucks ready to go for winter. they have 9000 gal tankers and also tanks on ten wheelers that haul the brine and several hours before a snow storm they load the salt water and spray the roads with this brine. the state has been doing this for several years now so you can imagine what our cars will eventually look like. maybe worse than this. you wonder how much of this rust is due to salt water spray. I know of several of the cars at the united in early October that were in the concourse that are having issues with polished aluminum and rusty screws and bolts from the wind blown spray and rain. many of the cars were within six feet of the shore line during the concourse.

slypops

Gold forum user
Salt water and spray can be brutally destructive as well. My car is 15 miles from salt and I'm still not comfortable. Attacks aluminum will an equally voracious appetite.:(

Duke Mk1a

Gold forum user
Q: I would like to bid on this car but can you provide both vins for verification? also do you know if that motor is frozen? Thanks for your help in advance, Ken
A: I would assume that the engine is frozen. I have been advised not to list the full VIN and JAL due to fraud. I will give to winning bidder. The Sheriff has authenticated VIN not a notary.

Q: Hi . do you have the right side fender arch trim & both rocker moldings ?
A: Molding above right front tire and rocker molding is missing as well as the word Tiger above left front tire.

Who's fraud....the sellers or buyers???

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Duke, didn't they provide the VIN as : B382100504 all it's missing is the LRXFE .. the Jensen records will have what JAL matches it....didnt someone say it's listed in the BON? Did you want a photo of it to see its still on there or you suspect they have not provided the correct number?

Warren

Gold forum user
Pig Pile

On the seller to comply! Very good point on the leaving off of the vin details and photo.

More of us that either click on the report the listing for violating ebay policies, which she clearly is by not putting complete vin, OR ask her to do so. It would be a shame if she took the bad advice to not post the complete vin and her auction got cancelled.

I sent her a note too. It is a really good idea to be 100% sure that the right car get the rust covered with enough tar and feathers to make any subsequent purchaser really look close at what he is thinking of buying.

Yes, I know it would be easier to clean off tar and feathers, then the rust on that bucket. :D

Yes, it is kind of slow news day or week in Tiger land.

1966Tiger

Silver forum user
An Only Partially Rhetorical Question

What would be left of this car following being dipped?

Warren

Gold forum user
What gets soaked or dipped

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=688433

Phosphoric acid seems to be the nastiness of choice.

A price sheet I looked at for a tub of a Mustang was about $2000 not counting any hood trunk doors and the delivery to and fro.

A little bird told me that the seller says this car was from Illinois, and that the dad was a former member of CAT and STOA. It does seem plausible that the rust got its start in the Midwest and got finished off by salt air.

I have bought motorcycles in garages less than 1 mile from the beach.
The front end was placed near a screen vent common to stucco homes with slab garages. The front end was really toasted by the airborne salt while the rear looked as good as a 30 year old flash Japan chrome job could look. Have also had same results buying bikes stored near the garage door as the bottom of the wheels looks like crap and the cheap mirrors can look NOS. If you get a car from Cali. beware if it is from big surf DDW oops sailor speak for dead down wind, or the great wet North.

I was kinda harsh in a previous post and should not have been.

But all that said it really is questionable why seller refuses to post a pic of the vin tag. Comp sales on ebay probably 7 of 10 show a vin tag, I am sure someone told her this fact.

Warren

Gold forum user
Really Duke,

I named the thread after Dave's MK2 which this ebay car looked like when new. Dave is aka Holy Cat on forum as well, and Dave's car "a Dale's restoration car" looks better than new. No response from my email to FSUJulie the seller. IDK why she will not comply. Duke you should tell her you are the way you are as you are not from South Korea and that you have a TAC'ed car and are inspector #____ from Kansas but got swept away to Korea missing Oz by a little more than a country mile:)

Duke Mk1a

Gold forum user
Duke you should tell her you are the way you are as you are not from South Korea and that you have a TAC'ed car and are inspector #____ from Kansas but got swept away to Korea missing Oz by a little more than a country mile:)

Hole'y Cat! Yea, the soju here does funny things to a fella. Never questioned or thought about the car's origin. Just want to see a pic of the VIN and JAL tags. Not a unreasonable request. Bidders better demand it before exchanging moola.

Last edited:

Warren

Gold forum user
Detached

Updated pic. on auction. How can the car look to be so unmolested by humans, not mother nature and father time and get tag removed?

Safe keeping?

cobrakidz

Gold forum user
I just don't see $9300 worth of useable parts there. I guess the vin plate and title have some value, but WOW, what a project.

leepear

Gold forum user
I love the way this group tracks cars. I have been the keeper of a list of genuine 1970 442 w-30 convertibles for 35 years. It helps when a counterfeit car appears. Since build cards, window stickers and other documents can be reproduced. A documented car is worth $100,000 more than an undocumented car in the Oldsmobile world. Lee

Duke Mk1a

Gold forum user
From Julie (seller) -

Thank you for the information. Please understand I'm not trying to be unreasonable or refusing to post a pic of the VIN. Logistically the car is stored 4 hours from my house. I am not a professional car deal when I spoke to various car club presidents they didn't say anything about needing that. So I apologize for not having that information for you. I know that my father was a member of STOA and CAT years and years ago and I'm sure that can be verified if someone really wanted to. I completely agree that my father should have sold this car 20 years ago but like many of the people on that blog he had a love affair with it and couldn't let it go. So, now it is was it is. My father passed away last year and I have no use for the car. To you the car may be a pile of rust but to my father it was a love story. An anniversary present to my mom which he had delivered from England to Paris where the spent months traveling Europe. When I was born I actually came home from the hospital in that Tiger. So, yes it is rusty and believe I depicted the current condition as accurately as possible. Since you seem to be so knowledgeable can you share with me why people want to see a picture of the VIN? If it has a clear title and legally passed ownership I don't understand the significance. Can you also tell me what the JAL tags are and I can see if I have that information.

I answered her questions. She told me the VIN tag detached due to the rivets deteriorating.

Warren

Gold forum user
$21,710.02

Duke, seller contacted me on the 7th and I had asked for pics and told her the reason to see the original rivets and their importance.

One of our members in other posts says the original rivets are blind so water can't dribble thru into the fresh air box area. The idea that they rotted away first before the tag is kinda a stretch.

Good luck to the buyer,

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
mk2

the vin tags have been known to corrode and come loose. I have a couple that were on alpines that were as rusty as this car and the vin tags have holes corroded thru them. from what I've seen you don't need the tags or the rivets to tac a car.