1 inch sway bar

Shh1966

Bronze forum user
CAT Member
I just bought a tiger with a 1 inch chromoly front sway bar. Does anyone no where I can get replacement bushings for this?
Steve

66TigerMK1A

Gold forum user
I know that a while back Buck Trippel ( At the Beach on this forum ) had some 1" bars made and was also sourcing some bushings...

Jim
B382000446

cadreamn67

Platinum Forum Member
I made my own using Energy Suspension 1 inch urethane black bushings. I kept the bottom (flat side) as is and hand ground/trimmed the other 3 sides down to match the cross-section of a stock bushing. A labor of love, but there are only 4 of them. Hope you have reinforced mounting locations.

Gene

at the beach

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I still have some 1" sway bushings. However I'm currently volunteering with a bunch of west coasters at the Rootes Archive in the UK. (We're trying to put together a catalog of Tiger specific drawings.) I'll be back towards the end of next week.

If you need them sooner you can order some from the US SuperPro distributor who I believe is located in New York. (Bob Josten may be able to give you contact information.)

good luck,
bt

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
No Problem

I simply center the standard bushings with a 3/4" drill & clamp set on a drill press: then replace the drill with a 1". Works great and you don't need to trim any rubber. I made some hard teflons for our 7/8" bar but the darned things are noisy.

cadreamn67

Platinum Forum Member
Randy, you might give Energy Suspensions bushing grease a try and see if that helps keep the noise down on the teflon bushings. No affiliation.

I considered the drilling out technique but wanted urethane, not stock rubber material. Did not know where you could source stock configuration urethane bushings of any size ID.

I was wary of drilling out anything on the same center-line as the stock ones anyway. It seemed to me that would remove too much material and put the larger bar in contact with the little retaining lip on each of the stock mounting clips. Plus, having a very smooth hole in a bushing that started life as a 1 inch hole bushing appealed to me. Do not think my drilling could replicate that. Anyway, this is why I did the trimming as I described. It results in less material at the top curved part of the bushing and leaves enough material at the bottom flat side for the bar to clear the clip retaining edge. Apparently you did not encounter such a problem. Perhaps you did not use stock mounting clips like I did. Or maybe, my measuring was off.

Anyway, not to worry about doing any of that now that Buck has identified a source. Thanks Buck!

BTW, I do have the stock mounting clips wrapped with reinforcing clamps.

Gene

Shh1966

Bronze forum user
CAT Member
I still have some 1" sway bushings. However I'm currently volunteering with a bunch of west coasters at the Rootes Archive in the UK. (We're trying to put together a catalog of Tiger specific drawings.) I'll be back towards the end of next week.

If you need them sooner you can order some from the US SuperPro distributor who I believe is located in New York. (Bob Josten may be able to give you contact information.)

good luck,
bt

I can wait until you get back ,as I think you are going to tac this car
Steve

Seabrook

Silver forum user
Energy Suspensions bushing grease a try and see if that helps keep the noise down

YMMV, but an it-worked-for-me; I drilled through both the brackets and the bushings (in my case ES generic poly bushings chopped down) and tapped the bracket for grease fittings. It's been a while but I think the bushings needed two drill sizes, one for the grease passage and one a little bigger to counterbore for the end of the grease fitting.

(Note to self; get down there and grease 'em again.)