13" tires??

Growler

Gold forum user
Thanks guys. I think you answered my question. The cosmics are not a problem since they are on the car (correctly)...I was more concerned with 1) what if I had to use the spare (which is steel and I have no other lug nuts for) aand 2) how to get the spare to fit under the trunk floor....both of which are answered.
Thanks,
Josh

chirodoc

Gold forum user
13 INCH 205-60 HP series tires

TOYO TIRE thankfully is filling the void in reasonabaly priced 60-series 13 inch tires. They are TOYO PROXES VIMODE TIRES. Tires-Easy.com, at $51.00 plus shipping appears to be the only US dealer showing them on a web site. Toyo New Zealand, Japan and Mexico web sites show specifications not US.

varodder

Bronze forum user
Another source for 205 60 13 tires

I have a friend that races "Legends" cars. (Not uncommon here as I live in NASCAR country). They use 206 60 13 DOT tires on these race cars. The brand my friend has is made by Federal. He said he would give me a set that had just a few laps on them. They have been shaved but still have plenty of tread .... especially since the car is apart and I mostly need a good set of "rollers". I'll post some pics and try to find out where he buys them new later. Anyway if you have a track nearby that runs Legends cars you could probably find a good source for these tires from one of the racers.

Bowland

New forum user
CAT Member
What is everyone using for a 205/60-13" tire? I already have a set of 15" PSE wheels/tires for my car but the new Yokohama's I have on my 13" Minilite wheels are 16 years old. Not exactly something that instills confidence when you drop the hammer. Initial searches don't turn up much and if they show them as listed, they're not in inventory. Someone here has to have the inside line on these....right:D
Hi,Curt in Chicago. I have run into the same situation. In the past had uses Tire Rack and purchased Sumitomo brand at about $47.00@ in 2008. More recently.2011, purchased Federan brand, "Formoza" h rated 205x60x13 for $73070 plus shipping from the west coast. You micht want to Google Federal Tires as they have a decent web page. Also check out Hercules and also Toyo which are expensing. Have used both Hoosier and Avon bias ply for vintage racing.

TigerBlue

Gold forum user
Anything other than 205 by 60

Checked with this site (tires-easy.com) Doc and the only size 13" that gave an answer was 205. Not a good size for everyone. Stock Tigers want 185 - 195? and others also for the front.

Is there a tire there that you bought and recommend?

Rick

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Checked with this site (tires-easy.com) Doc and the only size 13" that gave an answer was 205. Not a good size for everyone. Stock Tigers want 185 - 195? and others also for the front.

Rick

Rick, a 195 might even be a little tight on some tigers at the front depending on profile of the tyre and their spring/spindle setup.. very easy to catch the front valence on lock if it hasnt been trimmed :( or car i sitting a bit low.

chirodoc

Gold forum user
13 INCH TIRES

Rick

The website shows three 185-60-13 tires. two Federal and one Nexen.

chirodoc

Gold forum user
13 INCN TIRES

THE SELECTION OF 13 IN TIRES IS GETTING SCARCE. CHECK OUT "ALL OF CRAIGS LIST" FOR 13 IN 60 SERIES TIRES, EVEN USED TIRES. THERE ARE BFG, GOODYEAR, FALKEN , YOKAHOMA, TOYO, AVON AND OTHER BRANDS SITTING OUT THERE ON DEALERS SHELVES EVEN THOUGH THE MANUFACTURER NO LONGER MAKE OR IMPORT THEM INTO THE US.
I THINK THAT I GOT ONE OF THE LAST SETS OF 195/60/13 SUMITIMOS FROM TIRE RACK.

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I agree that 13" tyres are getting harder to come by.. but I am sort of confused by the reference to the hunt for 205 and then other references to 60 series. Is it that people want 205/60/13s? or is it tey want a XX/60/13 or a 205/xx/13? All of these are actually different sizes in terms of rolling radius and will change the effective gearing of the car.

The stock tyres are quite tall.. so to get around that you need a 175/70 or 75/13 which are not that easy t come by.. but doable.. Pirelli do them in the P3000 range. Bridgestone and Falken aslo do them.

If you want performance tyres they are generally going ot be the semi slick racing style.. Falken Azenis, Toyo R888, etc... but they are almost always a smaller radius.. normally suoited to historic motorsport like 175 or 185/60/13 some do them in 205's but can often end up as a 50 series...

I guess choose the tyres on what you will use them for.... but to small a sidewall makes them look quite small on the car unless it lowered...

just my .02

wag123

Gold forum user
I found that the correct diameter 13" tires for the car are the 205/60R13 and 175/70R13 sizes. 195/60's are too small in diameter and the speedometer will read high.
On my car I went with the 205/60's with 7" rims on the rear and 175/70's with 5.5" rims on the front. I personally like the look better because, since the front track is wider, this gives the tires a nice even looking appearance on the car and avoids any possible front tire interference issues. Besides, having wider 60's on the front doesn't really benefit a Tiger's handling very much (if at all).
Also, back in the day, mounting wider tires on the rear was a very common thing to do on performance cars, so in a way it is kind of period correct.
This is really all a moot point though since most 13" tire sizes will likely go completely away soon. I purchased an extra set when I saw this coming.