13Silverstone Mags

KenF

Gold forum user
I've got the tires on the 13" AR Silverstone mags that came on my car dismounted. Cleaned with a green scotchbright to get the bulk of the loose junk off them so I could check for damage or cracks. The good news is there are no visible cracks, big scratches or nicks. The bad news is they're magnesium and have the typical corrosion that occurs, only worse since they've been sitting for 34 years. I don't think they are structurally bad, but not sure how or who can even test that. I'm sure a pro wheel shop could make them look pretty decent.

I guess one way to test them is to mount them with some cheap tires for local events, and drive gently, resist burnouts and fast turns. They had tubes, so I'll probably use tubes again.

The rears are on the left, fronts on right. They are different widths and offset.
IMG_4711.JPG

Here's the rear. The air valve hole is between the spokes, and on the rim for the fronts.
IMG_4719.JPG

Front. No threads on the center for spinners.
IMG_4720.JPG

These are the caps that were on them. Look like regular chromed grease caps to me.
IMG_4722.JPG

There is not a logo, number, size, or anything cast or stamped anywhere.
IMG_4725.JPG
[tbl]
Took some measurements while they're bare.
[tr][th]Measurement[/th][th]
Rear​
[/th][th]
Front​
[/th][/tr]
[tr][td]Width[/td][td]
5.00​
[/td][td]
4.50​
[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Outside Width[/td][td]
5.75​
[/td][td]
5.25​
[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Backspacing[/td][td]
3.38​
[/td][td]
3.75​
[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Offset[/td][td]
.50​
[/td][td]
1.12​
[/td][/tr]
[tr][td] Weight[/td][td]
9 lb 13 oz​
[/td][td]
9 lb 12 oz​
[/td][/tr][/tbl]

nedmar

Bronze forum user
That's a bit rare. I agree on using tubes. The magnesium is porous and lets the air out gradually.