1965 Mark1 Tiger For Sale at Hemmings

Agent 861

Silver forum user
CAT Member
Warning warning warnng Will Roger -Is listed with more photos on facebook one of which I'm sure shows the battery box!

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
picture of the trunk shows no battery holdown parts, no spare hold down, engine bay shot shows no mounts for coolant tank on the left and no relief for the generator on the right.

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
never seen jal tag matching vin tag numbers? Runaway
It's clearly an Alpine. No JAL tag sequence begins with the number 1. Should start with"56" for a 65 MK1 Tiger. Also, no provision in the hood hinge panel for attaching the radiator fan shroud (riv-nuts).

You will note that the vendor is non-responsive to questions as well.

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Methinks it's a TiPine fer sure . . . . . .Does Hemmings have a caution method?

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
don't think so... I did contact the vendor... like the guy with the car from the Caymen's, he replied it was in "the registry" whatever that was.... I told him it was demonstrably an Alpine....

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
He has a TAC certificate... signed by #20, #48 and #49.... how that happened is absolutely beyond me.

66TigerMK1A

Gold forum user
never seen jal tag matching vin tag numbers? Runaway
I have!! Norm told me there are precious few of those but they DO exist... as far as the rest of that car... ???:rolleyes:
These pics are from a pretty original ( but rusty ) car

IMG_2664.JPG

IMG_2665.JPG

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
Most of the cars in the chassis number range have JAL numbers 300-500 lower than the chassis number. They're not even close to the chassis number. This is because of the difference in the JAL sequence .. The Mk1 cars start at #1, but the JAL numbers for MK1's include "55" (1964) prefixed cars, "56" (1965) prefixed cars and "575" (GT cars) prefixed cars....

Agent 861

Silver forum user
CAT Member
He has a TAC certificate... signed by #20, #48 and #49.... how that happened is absolutely beyond me.
II would TAC my car if I could but living in New Zealand makes that pretty difficult if not impossible. I see nothing wrong with a V8 engined Alpine if that is what it is sold as but selling one as a Tiger is a different matter . TAC seemed to offer our hobby some certainty around what you were buying
However given the multiple "Tiger Inconsistencies " evident on just the photos does this car not that place the whole TAC program under somewhat of a cloud ??

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
II would TAC my car if I could but living in New Zealand makes that pretty difficult if not impossible. I see nothing wrong with a V8 engined Alpine if that is what it is sold as but selling one as a Tiger is a different matter . TAC seemed to offer our hobby some certainty around what you were buying
However given the multiple "Tiger Inconsistencies " evident on just the photos does this car not that place the whole TAC program under somewhat of a cloud ??
It certainly calls into question the knowledge of the people that authenticated this car..... I just cannot understand how on earth it was inspected and rec'd a TAC certificate...

HolyCat

Gold forum user
CAT Member
The TAC cert numbers of the folks who inspected the car are fairly low. It makes me wonder if the car was inspected some time ago. The owner/seller may have a TAC certificate, but the REAL QUESTION is does the car have a TAC sticker installed in the correct location? It is not inconceivable that a Tiger properly passed a TAC inspection, but later was wrecked and some of the Tiger parts were transplanted onto an Alpine. If anyone is considering the purchase of the car, check to see if the TAC sticker is undamaged and in place. If I had a car with a TAC sticker and it had to be removed for the car to be repainted, I would get the car reinspected. In my view, a car without a TAC sticker or a damaged sticker may or may not be the same car that passed inspection previously.

IvaTiger

Gold forum user
Who is to say that the certificate is not fake ? I am sure if a tiger can be faked then so can a certificate A certificate along with the TAC sticker would be more likely it is a Tiger with its original chassis

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
The TAC cert numbers of the folks who inspected the car are fairly low. It makes me wonder if the car was inspected some time ago. The owner/seller may have a TAC certificate, but the REAL QUESTION is does the car have a TAC sticker installed in the correct location? It is not inconceivable that a Tiger properly passed a TAC inspection, but later was wrecked and some of the Tiger parts were transplanted onto an Alpine. If anyone is considering the purchase of the car, check to see if the TAC sticker is undamaged and in place. If I had a car with a TAC sticker and it had to be removed for the car to be repainted, I would get the car reinspected. In my view, a car without a TAC sticker or a damaged sticker may or may not be the same car that passed inspection previously.
In another forum I raised the same issue... The car had some notes on the TAC re the JAL..was listed as non original riverts .was listed as painted white ..

This was in 2006.. Almost 20 years ago .. I asked if the TAC sticker was still on the car.. that would be a first check... If so...a check of if it's the proper sticker .. because the body as it stands ( battery box and engine bay ) raises concerns.... And I would question if it passed TAC as it stands today....

IIrc Joel G said he may have owned the car in its previous life... ?

either way.. a ton of flags raised.. and the price for such a car is well beyond what the market sits

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
The tac certificate that he has lists the same incorrect JAL number the certificate is #683. The car was inspected on Oct, 15, 2006

HolyCat

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Don't trust just a certificate. As Tony said, need the sticker along with the cert.

66TigerMK1A

Gold forum user
As far as I remember when mine was TAC’d, they just write down whatever it says on the tags and don’t comment on ‘originality’ as they’re really only looking at the ‘shell’ I was told that the sticker is made in such a way that it could never be removed without destroying it 😆

545F771A-0327-4FC9-8850-B657F5B152CA.jpeg