1965 'TIGER' for sale on eBay

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Here's a listing for what bthe seller describes as a Tiger. With no VIN (he lists the JAL number vas the VIN) and no TAC, any buyer would be taking a huge chance without having a Tiger expert look at the car first. For what it's worth. No relation to seller.
Rick
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313&_nkw=sunbeam+tiger&_sacat=0
Rick,
If this is the black Tiger selling for 139K you'll find many in this part of the world know it. This car was built by David Ley from Pa. It's a well built modified clone version of the Hollywood Tiger. I have photos taken in the early 2000's at the BASH at Tiger Toms. David had not finished the car at that time. I seem to remember it's been sold a few times since David sold it. The car does have a lot of mods that wouldn't satisfy some folks..

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Rick,

The link you posted is just your eBay search for " sunbeam tiger" : https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313&_nkw=sunbeam+tiger&_sacat=0

Not the link to the auction.

You also didn't list the JAL provided or insert pictures into the thread... So honestly the thread is of no value.

Been mentioned a few times..if posting an eBay auction...put the details of the car in the topic heading and body of post and upload an image of the car ..
Otherwise it becomes a dead thread with a dead link to a finsihed auction.....
In this case.... Not even that.....šŸ˜

Here's a listing for what bthe seller describes as a Tiger. With no VIN (he lists the JAL number vas the VIN) and no TAC, any buyer would be taking a huge chance without having a Tiger expert look at the car first. For what it's worth. No relation to seller.
Rick
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313&_nkw=sunbeam+tiger&_sacat=0

theo_s

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Rick, Michael makes some good points. Please clean up your post or this thread will have to get taken down.

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Rick, Michael makes some good points. Please clean up your post or this thread will have to get taken down.
Don't want to upset anyone but Rick's link takes you to the page where it's listed if it is the car David built. Yes, he didn't follow rules but It's not in the "cars for sale" section of E Bay. It's listed in the parts listings. Scroll down the page and it's there with photos and details concerning the car.

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Don't want to upset anyone but Rick's link takes you to the page where it's listed if it is the car David built. Yes, he didn't follow rules but It's not in the "cars for sale" section of E Bay. It's listed in the parts listings. Scroll down the page and it's there with photos and details concerning the car.
Bob,

This isnt about the issue of disclosure for a for sale listing, it's about forum ettiqute... If all there is in the title is a " tiger for sale" then a link in the thread within a month or two the link is no longer active and the thread literally offers nothing.

If the VIN to JAL or photos are posted the thread stays as a record of that car that is searchable and of use in the future. This matter has been discussed many times.

As for the link posted... As I stated the link is a general eBay search link .. not a specific auction link.. you can see that in the code as it lacks an auction ID number .. but has the "sunbeam + tiger" key word search code

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Bob,

This isnt about the issue of disclosure for a for sale listing, it's about forum ettiqute... If all there is in the title is a " tiger for sale" then a link in the thread within a month or two the link is no longer active and the thread literally offers nothing.

If the VIN to JAL or photos are posted the thread stays as a record of that car that is searchable and of use in the future. This matter has been discussed many times.

As for the link posted... As I stated the link is a general eBay search link .. not a specific auction link.. you can see that in the code as it lacks an auction ID number .. but has the "sunbeam + tiger" key word search code
I found the listing in a matter of seconds. This morning there are four Tigers listed on the same page Rick listed. Keep in mind that this is not in the "cars for sale " section of E Bay. Take a few minutes and check them out.

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I found the listing in a matter of seconds. This morning there are four Tigers listed on the same page Rick listed. Keep in mind that this is not in the "cars for sale " section of E Bay. Take a few minutes and check them out
Bob.. you have literally proved my point of people clicking on the link and having no idea what they are mean to be looking at.

You have looked at the WRONG CAR .. that the thread relates to.

Rick has stated the seller listed the JAL as the vin and the auction as a 1965 tiger for sale.

You assumed incorrectly that it's the Hollywood Sports car tribute tiger... Which if you read that auction is listed as a:
"1966 Sunbeam Tiger MK IA Roadster"
And has the VIN listed a as 00000 etc....

That's the point... The thread doesn't contain an ID for the car.. and there is no photo and no direct link . So now you go to a generic eBay search that doesnt show which specific car the thread is about.. and if you are someone who doesn't pay attention you won't have noticed the 1965 or the statement they listed the JAL as the VIN.

Also the search result will keep changing as new listings are added.

Later that car won't even be there..... So the thread is of absolutely no use....

which with this discussion is basically at now other than noting some don't read the threads or auction with much care..
So once again.. as an instructional guide of basic forum use... This is the car Rick is posting about.. a project car with cosmic alloys... The JAL 661065

And auction ID: 295558312475

The link to the auction:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2955583124...acoQkliw+K1g7lzR3Ky/4sB0A=|tkp:Bk9SR5jRgqzdYQ

Here's the screen caps attached that are the most use as they will also be preserved in the thread long after the listing is gone.

s-l400 (14).jpg

s-l400 (13).jpg

s-l400 (12).jpg

s-l400 (9).jpg

Screenshot_20230316-220918.png

Screenshot_20230316-220903.png

theo_s

Gold forum user
CAT Member
The David Ley car is not the one in question.
It does not matter where or how the car is listed, you can always provide a link to the individual auction rather than a generic link to a ā€œsunbeam Tigerā€ search result.

The point is that our ā€œcars for saleā€ section was primarily intended for club members to advertise their Tigers, and in a manner that the provenance of the car could be established without question.
Putting third party ads of Tigers for sale here makes some sense in that it declutters General Tiger Discussion, where the eBay posts would otherwise go, and it keeps all the Tigers for sale stuff in one place. But it is not helpful if the posts contain no actual information about the car for sale, and even less helpful when the link provided does not isolate the car in question. We all already know how to find cars on eBay, or on Bring a Trailer.

RIX260

Gold forum user
CAT Member
The David Ley car is not the one in question.
It does not matter where or how the car is listed, you can always provide a link to the individual auction rather than a generic link to a ā€œsunbeam Tigerā€ search result.

The point is that our ā€œcars for saleā€ section was primarily intended for club members to advertise their Tigers, and in a manner that the provenance of the car could be established without question.
Putting third party ads of Tigers for sale here makes some sense in that it declutters General Tiger Discussion, where the eBay posts would otherwise go, and it keeps all the Tigers for sale stuff in one place. But it is not helpful if the posts contain no actual information about the car for sale, and even less helpful when the link provided does not isolate the car in question. We all already know how to find cars on eBay, or on Bring a Trailer.

Theo:

My apologies to all for not being as computer savvy and etiquette literate as many of you are. At my advanced age, I'm thankful to be able to use the computer at all. "The point is that our ā€œcars for saleā€ section was primarily intended for club members to advertise their Tigers".... If that was, and still is, the intent, maybe the intention of each category should be published somewhere so that unknowing posters like me will not have to take a tongue lashing here on the FORUM for stomping on etiquette. Silly me, thinking that 'CARS FOR SALE' actually meant 'CARS FOR SALE'. Having to post any 'car for sale' under a heading other than 'CARS FOR SALE' is, in my view, pretty illogical.

So, before I bring any other 'car for sale' to the attention of the membership. please tell me where I should post 'car for sale' so that I can put a Post-It note on my laptop screen to remind me of the illogical category under which a 'car for sale' by sellers other than CAT members, need be posted. Also, I will do my vey best to post only meaningful, lasting information about a car for sale or at auction.

Rick

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
Theo:

My apologies to all for not being as computer savvy and etiquette literate as many of you are. At my advanced age, I'm thankful to be able to use the computer at all. "The point is that our ā€œcars for saleā€ section was primarily intended for club members to advertise their Tigers".... If that was, and still is, the intent, maybe the intention of each category should be published somewhere so that unknowing posters like me will not have to take a tongue lashing here on the FORUM for stomping on etiquette. Silly me, thinking that 'CARS FOR SALE' actually meant 'CARS FOR SALE'. Having to post any 'car for sale' under a heading other than 'CARS FOR SALE' is, in my view, pretty illogical.

So, before I bring any other 'car for sale' to the attention of the membership. please tell me where I should post 'car for sale' so that I can put a Post-It note on my laptop screen to remind me of the illogical category under which a 'car for sale' by sellers other than CAT members, need be posted. Also, I will do my vey best to post only meaningful, lasting information about a car for sale or at auction.

Rick
:) you're killing me!

theo_s

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Theo:

Rick
Screenshot 2023-03-16 at 4.04.01 PM.png

As you can see from the screenshot, each of the subforums title bars includes a header with a brief description of what the subforum is for. We're slowly working on improving the text to make things unambiguous (in the cases where that might be an issue) but I think in this case the intent of 'cars for sale' is not unclear, nor is the request to provide any ID info that you can.

But maybe my wording in my previous post was not that clear, or I didn't fully explain the thinking that "was" vs. what "is".
When "Cars For Sale" was first set up, it was only intended for members to advertise their cars. But that required third-party ads to be posted in General Tiger Discussion, which might be somewhat counter intuitive because not everyone did that.
Accordingly, we changed the guidance for Cars for Sale to permit 3rd party postings, so that all cars for sale can be in one place (as we now suggest in the forum description header). But it is still frustrating when a posting contains no easily checkable information, or it looks more like a clickbait post to get us to visit eBay or BaT. Secondly, many of the online sites purge their information shortly after the end of the sale, which leaves the posting here with dead information and no record of what actually was put for sale. Therefore, we still request posters to provide some concrete information (VIN / JAL, TAC info, a picture copied into our database) of what is being put for sale. That way there is a permanent record and we can actually reference historical sales info on cars, after the sale happened.

So (this goes to everyone): Please take the time to post relevant content, and check your links to ensure that they actually point where you want.

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Theo:

Rick
Rick,
We're both old guys that remember when there was not an internet. Like you I don't know much about computers.

Last edited:

unbeam

Silver forum user
CAT Member
On the SAOCA forum, they have a listing for cars for sale. They then have a listing for

Ebay / Craigslist / Other Discoveries

This would offer a way to list separately cars etc for sale, separate from listings for cars for sale from members. Just a thought

RIX260

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Rick,
We're both old guys that remember when there was not an internet. Like you I don't know much about computers. I'm now one of the owners of a muti line lube / fuel distributorship operating in four states and I get roasted by the girls in the office just about every day. I remind them they get paid to handle that end. Thank gosh I'm not the only old guy in the company or I would be in trouble. I don't even carry a smart phone. Spectrum had a new flip phone shipped from Dallas to me three months ago. No E Mail, no internet and no text on my phone. If I'm out and about and someone in the office or a customer needs me they know how to get in touch with me or the office can transfer calls to my cell. I'll always remember this old saying from an area manager when I was a street rep for Valvoline several decades ago. If mistakes were made he said "He who makes no mistakes has done nothing".

Theo:

Here is my reply to Michael King's message to me. I'm sending it this way because I don't know how to create a cc on this Forum.

Thanks Michael.

I was not as concerned about your comments on providing lasting links and better car ID information as I was about where to post it.

Here's another Mark 1 Tiger that went up on the BaT auction block today that I think might be of interest to the membership. Having read everyone's comments about CARS FOR SALE I am totally confused and have no idea where to post it.

I've been told that CARS FOR SALE is only for cars for sale by CAT members only and not for ones on eBay, BaT etc. And then there is the posting from Buck Tripett from Nov 20, 2022: "We realize that Forum members may be confused if they see something like a post in ā€œGeneral Tiger Discussionā€ about a car for sale. But when they later try to return to that thread discover itā€™s not where it had been because in the interim it had been moved to ā€œCars for Saleā€, its proper location." One statement says don't post cars for sale in CARS FOR SALE and the other says if you post in GENERAL DISCUSSION you will later find it might have been moved to CARS FOR SALE. WTF?

With all due respect, to me this looks like I'm not the only one who is confused. So, here's the link and the VIN information on the Tiger. If you think it has value, please put it where it's supposed to go. BTW I would have cc'd Theo on this message but I don't know how except to copy and paste it.

Rick

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1965-sunbeam-tiger-61/ VIN B9471471 LRXFE

theo_s

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Theo:

Here is my reply to Michael King's message to me. I'm sending it this way because I don't know how to create a cc on this Forum.

[deleted]

With all due respect, to me this looks like I'm not the only one who is confused.

When you're reading your conversations, you can see who is on the distribution in the top right panel:
Screenshot 2023-03-18 at 9.07.24 AM.png

At the bottom right of the "Conversation Participants" panel it has an "Invite more" link, which is used to add additional people to a running conversation... i.e. to CC them.

With regard to your continuing lament about not having clear directions about where to post cars for sale: Show me where it currently says not to post cars for sale in "Cars For Sale" and I'll fix the instructions or add an editorial comment to the thread, if it was not already addressed in a follow-up at that time.