1966 Tiger convertible top hinge pin removal with frame in car, suggestions?

1949FL

Silver forum user
CAT Member
I recently installed a new Everflex convertible top, (hood) on my 1966 Mark 1a. The spot welds broke free and the left Cantrail arm needs to be tack welded. I drilled and tapped 2 holes in the hinge plate to hold the arm in place while being welded but everyone the looks at it would rather have the arm removed to put in new tacks and plug weld the holes I have tapped into the arm. Convertible top part D236, hinge pin --cantrail to hood frame needs to come out. It is a small diameter tapered pin that needs to be removed from the bottom of the hinge. See attached sketch for D236. Any suggestions on how to press the pin out of the frame, in the car?
Thanks
1949fl
Jim McLaughlin
Sunbeam Conv Frame upper left corner.png

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
I've never been able to get them out, even with substantial heat.... I believe you will end up having to drill the pin out. looking at the one I have it appears that these were driven in and then expanded at both ends by striking it (the end) with a punch, effectively locking them in place.

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I have re-welded them once apart and away from the car (careful measurements and placement). But, with welding cloth protection and clamping, button hole type welds could do the job in place. Or, drilling pop rivet holes and using steel not aluminum rivets. just sayin'

boss-tiger

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Tough repair on a workbench (out of car) - I have a nice rebuild conv. frame if you need one - ready to install. PM for info