2010 Braille Rallye LA to OC

TigerBlue

Gold forum user
Mike Michels and I participated in the Braille Institute's annual Rallye Saturday the 7th of August.

What it is: A time distance navigation Rallye. The unique difference is that all the navigators are blind or have significantly limited vision. The Navigators come from all over the California southland and are mostly students.

We should try to get more than two Tigers out for this next year but it is not about the cars really. I was teamed up with Merlyn who also navigated for me last year. Now eleven she was eager to get going and had requested that I bring the Tiger. She reads braille proficiently and was very clear in reading me each instruction. Each blind student works as a team with a sighted stranger to accomplish a new and complex task. This builds confidence and prepares them for independence. That statement is an understatement and it also teaches the drivers some valuable life lessons.

The Rallye was in 3 long stages from the Braille Institute's lot at Vermont and Melrose South on a series of Freeways to Lakewood and later into Orange County. We cruised PCH North and South ending up at a park in Huntington Beach for a late lunch and the Awards.

Photos below: First two taken in the early overcast on the Santa Ana freeway. The law had a few entries. Someone spotted a nail in this Chippie's tire. He borrowed a race jack from an F100 pickup. Mike and his navigator. Pictures of me and Merlyn before the start and at a checkpoint.

TigerBlue