2019 TE/AE United La Crosse, WI

Tom Jeffers

New forum user
CAT Member
The 2019 TE/AE United will be August 15, 16, 17 and 18 in La Crosse WI. The host hotel will be the Radisson Hotel. Hotel reservations can be made by phone or on line:
https://teae.org/united-38-hotel/
Two different room options are available. 1 King bed with a view of the parking lot and the historic downtown for $119 per night on Thursday and Sunday and $129 per night for Friday and Saturday. The other option is 2 Queen beds with a view of the Mississippi River for $129 per night on Thursday and Sunday and 139 per night for Friday and Saturday. If you want to arrive early and or stay late, the lower price is available for 3 days before and 3 days after. Pam is working on the registration form and I will add a link to it when she has it ready.

canbeam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
As there is no SUNI for 2019, and I don't know if there are any plans for another, maybe we should consider this United the unofficial version, and hopefully there is a good turnout of participants from west of the Mississippi. My hotel room is booked.....

Have the Clubs had any discussion about a future SUNI? I heard, rightly or wrongly, that the person that organized previous ones is now fairly elderly and won't be organizing the event anymore.

at the beach

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Sorry Tom for hijacking your United thread (for which I've reserved my hotel per your suggestion) but since the issue has been raised...

There are several problems with a SUNI. Many Tiger owners just don’t do road trips for whatever reason, much less long road trips. Personally, we’ve found the trip to & from is frequently the most fun. My wife and I did a circuitous route to and from the SUNI at Rapid City and logged 3,500 miles over the ten days. We went south of the Sierras, through the Rockies over the Beartooth Highway in Montana, visiting Jackson Hole, Yellowstone and the Devil’s Tower along the way. SUNIs tend take 2 or 3 days on the road. That one took 2½. This summer’s trip to Wisconsin will probably take 3 days.

Some have complained about the location of past SUNIs. I’ve tried to start a discussion on what ground rules we all can agree on when considering sites for a SUNI. I’d like to see a fair location by trying to center the event in the middle of the country. Others float the old idea of alternating between west, center and east. We already have annual east and west events so isn’t it fair to the heartland that we try to get an event close to the center even if it’s only once every 5 years?

During this discussion I’ve discovered some have what I consider a warped view of geography. Some think Dayton is “west”. Some think the Mississippi is too far west. And west coasters like myself point out that driving-wise the middle of the country is in the middle of Nebraska, 400 miles west of the Mississippi. (I believe the acknowledged geographical center is about 100 miles south in northern Kansas.)

So I created an imaginary 400 mile radius around the driving center. It stretches from the Rockies to the Misssissippi, from North Dakota to Texas. All of Kansas, Nebraska and South Dakota are included. Anywhere inside this circle can be reached with a 3-day drive for some and a 2-day or less drive for most.

This circle starts in southern part of North Dakota as far as Bismark, then goes over to Minneapolis and most of Iowa west of Cedar Rapids, the NW half of Missouri including KC, Tulsa, Oklahoma City, Amarillo, all of Colorado, the eastern half of Wyoming and the SE tip of Montana.

Obviously there’s a lot of other factors in determining a SUNI location, weather and things to do come to mind. However before spending a lot of time I was hoping for a general consensus as to where we want to stage future SUNIs. Without the clubs taking that first step, I’m unwilling to invest a lot of time working on details.

That being said, we have investigated an inexpensive possible SUNI site near the SW corner of that circle in a cool Rocky Mountain valley for a June SUNI. It looks quite promising. If the clubs decide to support it, we could possibly put one on in 2020. Right now I'm waiting to hear responses from the clubs. If their responses are positive we will start investigating intensely. However if the club responses insist on staging a SUNI in Orlando or Monterey in order to get one in the center of the country, then I'm not interested. I suggest if you want a SUNI then let your clubs know and let them know where you want it located.

Attachments

• USA map w circle.jpg
    USA map w circle.jpg
    227 KB · Views: 142
Last edited:

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
SUNI

Buck,
Only one SUNI has been in the middle of the country. That was SUNI 2 in Lake Geneva ,Wisconsin. As you know there are a lot of things that need to be found and one of those things is a hotel that can block enough rooms to accommodate the potential folks attending, hospitality / parts and banquet. Eric and I were fortunate to find a hotel for the 2015 TE/AE United that could do all this and also had a hotel next door for over flow. We had 100 cars in attendance. That meant a lot of parking for trailers and tow vehicles. I live an hour drive away from Dayton so I could attend meetings to set things up. The wife and I have been to all the SUNI's and I have to say that Max must have had a difficult time finding a location and setting things up from a distance such as he had. I would like to see another SUNI and hope you would be able to find enough help and cooperation from both east and west in order to make it happen.

Tweak

Silver forum user
CAT Member
I’m already booked for the hotel in La Crosse and hope it will be our tigers debut.

Umm, what the heck is a SUNI?

at the beach

Gold forum user
CAT Member
A SUNI is like a United on steroids. In the past it has had a much larger attendance than a United which allowed Max (the organizer) to bring in VIP guests from throughout the Sunbeam world.

It was held every five years but Max is no longer able to carry the ball and the clubs will have to step up if the tradition is to be continued.

Buck Trippel

Tom Jeffers

New forum user
CAT Member
Proposed schedule for TE/AE United

Possible Schedule
United XXXVIII August 15 – 19, 2019
La Crosse, WI

Thursday August 15
Check In 3:00pm
Moon Tunes 5:00 – 8:00pm
http://www.moontuneslacrosse.com

Friday August 16
Tour S&S Cycle Viola, WI
https://www.sscycle.com

Tour Organic Valley La Farge, WI
https://www.organicvalley.coop
Lunch at Organic Valley

BOD Meeting

Saturday August 17
Concourse at Copeland Park
Lunch Brats and German Potato Salad

Membership Meeting

Sunday August 18
Lunch – Box lunches provided by Great Harvest Bread Co.

Autocross Winona, MN
Run by SCCLaC
http://www.scclac.org
Register just like any other participant.
They have loaner helmets. Do tech inspection. 8 – 10 runs

Tour Elmer’s Auto & Toy museum Fountain City, WI
http://elmersautoandtoymuseum.com

Awards Banquet
Music provided by a Dixieland River Band

Monday August 19
Depart

Last edited by a moderator:

HolyCat

Gold forum user
CAT Member
2009 suni

Buck,
Only one SUNI has been in the middle of the country. That was SUNI 2 in Lake Geneva ,Wisconsin.

Excuse me, but wasn't the 2009 SUNI held in Colorado Springs, Colorado? That is still pretty much in the center of the country. It is more in the center of the country than is Wisconsin.

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
suni

It's been written many times that "Ohio is the center of the Sunbeam universe". Check the SAOCA. I seem to remember the number of days that we drove to get to each SUNI. The wife and I have been to all of them and the last time I looked Colorado is in the Rockies which is in the western part of the U.S. Took 3 days to make the drive. Second shortest drive to a SUNI for us at 1400 miles one way. It really doesn't make any difference to me. If there is another SUNI we'll probably make the drive. Haven't missed a TE/AE United or SUNI for35 years.

HolyCat

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Map

Colorado is in the Rockies which is in the western part of the U.S.
If you divide the US into halves, yes Colorado is in the western half. But if you divide the US into thirds, Colorado is in the middle third. I refer you to Buck's map. Note that most of Colorado is within the red circle.

Attachments

• USA map w circle.jpg
    USA map w circle.jpg
    227 KB · Views: 112

at the beach

Gold forum user
CAT Member
It's been written many times that "Ohio is the center of the Sunbeam universe".

I doubt Lord Rootes agrees. ;) But after all, what can any of us non-buckeyes really know about anything?

Seriously, to answer your question about the number of participants, at last year's Tigers United in Santa Maria we had 121 registrants. It was probably a little less than average since we'd been there just 2 years earlier. However at the high end the Tigers United at the Queen Mary was probably closer to 150.

Buck Trippel
CAT President

Attachments

• Lord Rootes and Family.JPG
    Lord Rootes and Family.JPG
    3.8 MB · Views: 119

canbeam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I am a neutral Canadian, being a member of both CAT and TEAE. I live in the Ontario, closer to the east coast, and attended SUN 1 in 1989, which was an unforgettable trip and event. I could be selfish, and say in the true spirit of an ‘International Event’, you should be looking not only at the U.S., but at North America as a whole, when you are drawing your circle, but as Canada extends well north of the Arctic Circle, the central geographic point would probably be several hundred miles north of Winnipeg, Manitoba, and between the mosquitos and muskeg, and lack of roads, it probably wouldn’t be too practical…..:)

I personally support Buck’s suggested circle, perhaps one SUNI more toward the east side of the circle and the next closer to the west side. There are good arguments from either side, but I think in order to be successful a SUNI should be towards the geographical center, and not biased to higher concentrations of owners. To me, there is a more of a fairness to this, when everyone has to travel a similar distance. Of course there have to be people in the circle that are willing to organize the event, which would probably be the biggest challenge.

Location doesn’t matter as much to us Canadians, as anywhere in the circle is a hell of a way….

Sorry Tom and Pam for sidetracking your United thread, as it was unintentional. However, thinking about it some more, perhaps the SUNI discussion may give the United more exposure when there is a post every day as it hopefully will continue as a lively healthy discussion.

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Excuse me, but wasn't the 2009 SUNI held in Colorado Springs, Colorado? That is still pretty much in the center of the country. It is more in the center of the country than is Wisconsin.

The 2009 SUNI was in Rapid City S. Dakota.

HolyCat

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Thanks!

The 2009 SUNI was in Rapid City S. Dakota.

Thank you for the correction. The Colorado SUNI was held in 2014.

And thank you for pointing out another SUNI that was held in the central part of the US - Rapid City, SD. :)

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
distance

Thank you for the correction. The Colorado SUNI was held in 2014.

And thank you for pointing out another SUNI that was held in the central part of the US - Rapid City, SD. :)

UHHHH, 1100 miles from rapid city to the west coast of Washington, 2100 miles to the east coast. How many SUNI's have you attended? End of conversation. I have to go to my shop to continue working on my current Sunbeam restoration. The wife has another Sunbeam waiting to be restored so I need to get this one finished for the S. Carolina show 04/06/19. Good talking to you and trading barbs.

at the beach

Gold forum user
CAT Member
UHHHH, 1100 miles from rapid city to the west coast of Washington, 2100 miles to the east coast.

Bob, congrats on demonstrating my earlier point about some people having a wacky sense of geography. Hopefully, you were not deliberately trying to mislead the Forum. According to Google maps it is 2100 miles from Rapid City to the east coast... but you ommitted "...of Florida (Palm Beach)"!

Google says the driving distance from Washington DC to Rapid City is 1600 miles and takes a 24 hour drive. (New York is also listed at 24 hours.) (BTW, this is the same Google time as for the route I drove to Rapid City from Los Angeles to attend that SUNI.) The Google drive time from Seattle is over 21 hours. Those participants from Dayton had it even better at 17-1/2 hours and 1200 miles.

These facts also illustrate another driving inequity between east and west. With a Rapid City drive from Seattle 60 miles shorter than the drive there from Dayton, one could expect the Seattle drive to take an hour less time. Instead the drive from Seattle is 3-1/2 hours longer according to Google. Those from the west encounter the Sierras/Cascades and then the Rockies with routes that wind and curve as they follow the terrain. This is not a straight shot across the plains. Huge mountain ranges lengthen the drive time so raw mileages can be deceptive.

How long is too long a drive to attend a Sunbeam event? That's for each person to answer for himself or herself. As I noted many Sunbeam owners just don't do long drives. According to Google, my drive from the west coast to La Crosse this August will take 29 hours. I'm really looking forward to it. (I've got my hotel reservations.) I love road trips in my Tiger!

Looking forward to seeing you and Jean there. In the meantime get those cars ready!

Please say "hi" to the locals for me.

Buck Trippel
Admin et al

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
united

Buck,
Maine is the east coast I was referring to. Keep in mind that Jean sometimes wants to make side trips . We sometimes don't travel in a straight line. That's the reason for having a closed trailer. Never know what may be loaded in the trailer when we get home. A couple years ago we drove close to 9000 miles from March to October for car shows and vintage racing. I have to admit we haven't been able to drive the Beams very far for the past few years due to her health problems but a good surgeon solved that problem. See you in Wisconsin. I booked my room September 14,2018. This photo of our current project was taken while in Doug's new shop last summer.

Attachments

• 110_0359.JPG
    110_0359.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 113

Tweak

Silver forum user
CAT Member
TAC?

Will there likely be a TAC session at the La Crosse event? Hoping so.