66 Tiger Mk1A 382000982

slypops

Gold forum user
View attachment 3667

View attachment 3668Like most, I fell in love with Tigers in college when a running mate and I terrorized East Texas in a Mark 1, 302 with 4.33 way back in 1970! A year ago I spotted a dark blue Mk1a on the CAT forum and refell in love. With so many Tigers nowadays with questionable background, the Ebay Tigers really didn't have enough docs to make me feel comfortable with them. I really had to offer more than I wanted, but I felt comfortable with this car, what with all the help from CAT members and Norm Miller etc!! The additional pics sent of the undercarriage sealed the deal. I had to handle the rust issues of old cars I purchased when I was young; I'm too old to fix those issues now!! Well the Tiger arrived right on time, the transport driver, a real car guy, jumped in the passenger seat and we cruised to an all you can eat buffet! Fun times! all over again.I've made a few changes, mostly to duplicate my roommates : The original valve covers really didn't impress, so the "Tiger" covers went on. Luckily only minor adjustments such as a clutch Master with larger bore is all thats been required. The Denso alt had to go. Thats about it. Glad to be part of the Tiger family.

Last edited:

Duke Mk1a

Gold forum user
Very nice Tiger you have there and I love the color.

E Texas, where? I attended SFA in Nacogdoches 1985-1989.

slypops

Gold forum user
When we weren't chasing the Kilgore Kilgorettes (Rangerettes, now)

LeTourneau U. Longview . Duke you would have LOVED it. Engineering school. The local boys called us Tekkies derogatorily but those Texas girls couldn't get enuf!! I was a business major (my parents req) but stayed down at the auto lab whenever I could. I transferred during summer school with a bud (Phil Eckenroth, tiger owner) so when reg school started,1st day, he burnt rubber the whole length of the boy's dorm to let the freshmen know who's boss, me grinning & holding on 4 dear life. I ended up gettin a GTO and running Pure Stock G class at I-20 Dragway in Tyler. Gene Snow would come so every so often (NHRA) funny car.. Still have some of those trophies.....good times!!

Warren

Gold forum user
Hey Pops

Which I noticed the blank for the JAL no. on your car and wonder if Norm was able to tell you what the missing number was. I have a SAL one on the junker Alpine and you could flip it over and put one on just to fill those pesky holes.
My JAL was amongst the missing items too. I know you TAC'ed after me so you have been aboard for some time now.

slypops

Gold forum user
How bout a lower generator bracket instead

Thanks for the offer Warren. Actually the JAL was under a DEEP coat of paint. After clearing the paint and E-mailing Norm with pics he gave a "good outcome" on it and the location for the serial number location on some Dana rears, 982 was by the pinion,normal. See the original pics on the CAT forum. Now if you have a 260 lower generator bracket, I AM ALL EARS!! lol Thanks again!! Reg B. PS. I've been on board since 1970 in heart. It just took me awhile to put a steering wheel in my hands! Be safe, my friend!

Last edited:

slypops

Gold forum user
Don't fall in love.

Thanks Justin, I fell in love with the dark met.blue with cobra stripes!! Don't do that with a car or a woman, you pay too much!!Norm gently mentioned that Embassy black Tigers (orig color) are very rare in MK1a form (around 50). Not sure which way 2 go, We'll see. Pics to follow. Reg

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Hot Black

Thanks Justin, I fell in love with the dark met.blue with cobra stripes!! Don't do that with a car or a woman, you pay too much!!Norm gently mentioned that Embassy black Tigers (orig color) are very rare in MK1a form (around 50). Not sure which way 2 go, We'll see. Pics to follow. Reg

The thing about black cars is the limiting comfort factor when the sun is high. Two of our cruising toys are for mornings and evenings only . . . . . .

slypops

Gold forum user
Form follows Function

The thing about black cars is the limiting comfort factor when the sun is high. Two of our cruising toys are for mornings and evenings only . . . . . .

Thanks,Very good point, Randy.... Most probably why it's not currently black.

Twin Turbo Tiger

Gold forum user
Nice car
I didn't know the black was that rare my MK1a has a code 1 for color.
Maybe someday will repaint it black

hottigr

Gold forum user
CAT Member
My MK 1A is color code 1 (black), also...currently red. I would consider black for the next respray.

Warren

Gold forum user
Current color Thread

How about I'd bet 20% or more would be red.

It would be interesting as well to note vin tag code as well.

slypops

Gold forum user
It's dark in here!

Very unscientific, but seems to be an inordinately large # of Embassy Black,01, Tigers on the CAT forum, I rather agree with Warren #1 paint Carnival red, British Green, close #2 , then off white. Aren't we lucky to have such a handsome car that looks good in all shades!! I've tried to include the vin tag on 982.

hottigr

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I'll add a vin tag to the fray- this is just an existing engine pic I have, but they're sooooo big you should be able to read the vin tag. There does seem to be a lot of black 1A's here considering the quantity built.

lbk91.jpg
[/IMG]

Tiger tamer

Gold forum user
Nice story. You always meet like minded people with cars like these. Before I tore my car down, everywhere I went I got comments.
One of the best was when a 10 year old kid was walking past with his dad and said- Hey look dad, and dad says, that's a Maxwell Smart car. I was surprised it was so recognised.

Get out there and enjoy it. Like the stripes.

Cheers Mal

XTIGERX

Gold forum user
I was driving thru the local hood a few weeks back and heard a kid yell out "nice car". I looked back and saw a kid hanging from the other side of a chain link fence of the Jr. high (now AKA middle school) I went to. He had his hand stuck thru the fence waving which I returned. Maybe they don't all recognize the car but even at a younger age and a world apart do appreciate the finer things.

slypops

Gold forum user
When did we start noticing the Tigers

Mal and Justin, Neat stories!Must be something in our male genes. It continues. Leaving a small car show, slowly, in tight quarters (couple wks back) a young man (not over 11) stepped forward and said, "I LIKE your car" I immediately responded "THANK YOU, SIR" not only to validate his statement but also to recognize his ability to step out from the crowd. I guess we all noticed Tigers early. I watched "Get Smart" with my father. The irony that he served in Naval Intell for many yrs eluded me at the time.