A Pillar Furflex Caps

VaCat33

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Hello

Today’s question…how do you affix the hard rubber caps to the top of the A Pillar? I have never been able to figure it out.

Photo 1 shows the cap In place on another car.
Photo 2 shows the caps I got from Sunbeam Specialties years ago
Photo 3 shows the top of the A Pillar and furflex on my car
Photo 4 shows the furflex pulled back a bit to reveal a pinch weld.

Is it possible that the caps (which Are slotted on the bottom) snap onto that pinch weld? Maybe secure it with a little adhesive? If so, I would need to trim the top of the furflex back a bit to expose that pinch weld.

Any other guidance.

Thanks

975BAE0E-E9C8-41A2-A2A0-AB91582248C1.jpeg

1FE62C17-B60E-45A9-8FD8-5B6451A69D10.jpeg

0788F4BF-5641-4267-B62E-858C4EBDEA7A.jpeg

33F9C8EA-5745-4386-A2DF-4F23B26E1E74.jpeg

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
The originals had a spring clip in them that secured the cap to the pinch weld.

Theorangetiger

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I installed these as well as new furflex piping so I was basically starting from scratch. I did position the furflex to allow room for the cap on the pinch weld. I got my caps from Sunbeam Spares in the U.K. and theirs have some flaps molded into them to help bite but I still used a drop or two of super glue to help them stick. They are on pretty securely.

IMG_3964.jpg

Last edited:

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
Had one original cap, and sourced another from a pal... I seem to have lost the end cap I had :(... anyone have a spare??

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
I installed these as well as new furflex piping so I was basically starting from scratch. I did position the furflex to allow room for the cap on the pinch weld. I got my caps from Sunbeam Spares in the U.K. and theirs have some flaps molded into them to help bite but I still used a drop or two of super glue to help them stick. They are on pretty securely.

View attachment 17840
where did the finisher at the top of the outer seal come from???

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
I noticed that...but it doesn't seem to have a joint line.. so was wondering if it's a solid extrusion rather than the hollow profile?
you can see what looks like a glue line and a separate cap.. looks slick as hell! much better than the open end....

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
It's easy. There are a couple ways such as trimming a piece of soft foam to whatever length you want and to the contour to fit the opening and then glue it in or fill the gap with black silicone. I've seen many cars with the silicone but the soft foam works better because it will compress much easier. The foam can usually be found in a craft shop. If they don't have it in black just spray it black.

Theorangetiger

Gold forum user
CAT Member
As much as I'd like to take credit for a trick upgrade, that's straight out of the package from Sunbeam Specialties. Maybe a new & improved version?

rfraser

Bronze forum user
CAT Member
the original rubber part was over molded onto a metal clip 100_4049.jpg
the SS part needs to be glued on very well
Ron Fraser

VaCat33

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Just to close things out…I installed the caps I got from Sunbeam Specialties many years ago. Trimmed back the furflex a bit to expose the pinch weld and then added the caps with a little adhesive. Thanks for the help.

F7099A82-331E-4D0F-B637-216DA483FCDA.jpeg

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Just to close things out…I installed the caps I got from Sunbeam Specialties many years ago. Trimmed back the furflex a bit to expose the pinch weld and then added the caps with a little adhesive. Thanks for the help.

View attachment 17982
Jim, is it just the photo or your " furflex" is actually a plastic/rubber bead trim as opposed to the woven fabric?

VaCat33

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Michael

You are correct. The piping is actually a rubber/plastic material with a textured finish meant to reproduce the woven fabric appearance. The close up photo notwithstanding, it does “look” correct. According to the receipts I have it was sourced from Sunbeam Specialties back when the car was initially restored twenty years ago. Not sure if they have come up with anything better since then.

The piping has metal ribs (see photo) which helps with durability but still allows for trimming small bits.

Jim

DC1DABE1-5BAA-457E-9502-9BF83A6AAB6E.jpeg

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Michael

You are correct. The piping is actually a rubber/plastic material with a textured finish meant to reproduce the woven fabric appearance. The close up photo notwithstanding, it does “look” correct. According to the receipts I have it was sourced from Sunbeam Specialties back when the car was initially restored twenty years ago. Not sure if they have come up with anything better since then.

The piping has metal ribs (see photo) which helps with durability but still allows for trimming small bits.

Jim

View attachment 17991
Jim the correct fabric furflex is available. Quite sure COH Baines in the UK stock it