A Pillar Furflex Caps

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
Jim the correct fabric furflex is available. Quite sure COH Baines in the UK stock it
COH Baines stocks the very same product that Rick has at Sunbeam Specialties currently. It has the correct woven wrap, but the seal is a bulb type, not the original soft rubber flap type seal. I sent them a picture of an original seal and they replied what they sell is all that is available. Just so everyone knows, Moss sells the very same seal in bulk as it was also used on the Bugeye Sprite. It is available in black under part #249.800 or red under part # 249.810 It is sold by the yard.

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
MacGregor was selling the original style of furflex but it appears he is selling off everything he has left so he must be retiring.

HolyCat

Gold forum user
CAT Member
MacGregor was selling the original style of furflex but it appears he is selling off everything he has left so he must be retiring.
65beam - Would you please share who MacGregor is in case a Forum member might wish to contact him?

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
65beam - Would you please share who MacGregor is in case a Forum member might wish to contact him?
That's the Canadian supplier

https://macgregorukcarparts.com/

It should be noted that he buys the seals etc from COH Baines in the UK and them marks them up 200-250%.. this was the case for his series I/II alpine windscreen seals and A post seals. ...so if not in a rush... Better to get from the UK.

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
That's the Canadian supplier

https://macgregorukcarparts.com/

It should be noted that he buys the seals etc from COH Baines in the UK and them marks them up 200-250%.. this was the case for his series I/II alpine windscreen seals and A post seals. ...so if not in a rush... Better to get from the UK.
Michael,
As I said earlier, It seems that he may have decided to retire. He and I talked several times by phone and since he was a trim engineer at the Lynwood Chrysler / Rootes plant and I have owned several cars and still own a Sunbeam built at that plant I found it interesting to talk with him. Where he sourced his product or his selling price wasn't an issue for me. He was a source within a few hundred miles from me so I started buying from him many years ago as have others in this part of the world.

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
Martin MacGregor macgregorukcarparts.com Ontario, Canada. 905-627-4006 I've bought parts from him for years, but he is VERY difficult to get to follow through and actually send stuff. doesn't respond to e-mails without serious prodding. fairly easy to get on the phone, but as I said, follow through is NOT his strong suit.

He does NOT have the correct a-pillar seals... I talked to him about a month ago

Last edited:

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Michael,
As I said earlier, It seems that he may have decided to retire. He and I talked several times by phone and since he was a trim engineer at the Lynwood Chrysler / Rootes plant and I have owned several cars and still own a Sunbeam built at that plant I found it interesting to talk with him. Where he sourced his product or his selling price wasn't an issue for me. He was a source within a few hundred miles from me so I started buying from him many years ago as have others in this part of the world.
Thanks for the collection update Robert

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Thanks for the collection update Robert
Martin MacGregor macgregorukcarparts.com Ontario, Canada. 905-627-4006 I've bought parts from him for years, but he is VERY difficult to get to follow through and actually send stuff. doesn't respond to e-mails without serious prodding. fairly easy to get on the shone, but as I said, follow through is NOT his strong suit.

He does NOT have the correct a-pillar seals... I talked to him about a month ago
Michael,
You're quite welcome. The wife is considering buying another Rootes vehicle so I'll let you know if she does buy it.

Sean,
I've never had those problems over the years. Most of us older guys have other priorities that take up time so we understand. Are you aware that he is having what could be called a weekend "side walk sale" until he has sold out of parts, etc.? He did have the correct furflex up until awhile back. He supplied it to me and another owner for use on our Harrington restorations that we were doing at the same time. I bought two sets and I'm not sure whether Reg bought a second set for the Canadian show car waiting in the wings. Randy Willet documented the body restoration of Reg's car on this site.

unbeam

Silver forum user
CAT Member
Moss number is 249-800 and 249-810. Black is on B/O. Both about $25 per yard

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
Michael,
You're quite welcome. The wife is considering buying another Rootes vehicle so I'll let you know if she does buy it.

Sean,
I've never had those problems over the years. Most of us older guys have other priorities that take up time so we understand. Are you aware that he is having what could be called a weekend "side walk sale" until he has sold out of parts, etc.? He did have the correct furflex up until awhile back. He supplied it to me and another owner for use on our Harrington restorations that we were doing at the same time. I bought two sets and I'm not sure whether Reg bought a second set for the Canadian show car waiting in the wings. Randy Willet documented the body restoration of Reg's car on this site.
I've bought from MacGregor since the 90's... he's always been really slow to get things out and non responsive to emails. hell, the prices on his webpage are more than 20 years out of date. as for old guys... at 62, I think I qualify... If I get senior discounts at the grocery store, anyway!

Like I said (wrote), I talked to him in the phone a month or two ago after having three emails not responded to... I was looking for carpets as he advertises them on his webpage and also was interested in getting some of the English natural jute... I also specifically asked about the windlace.. (which he does NOT have) When I talked to him, he kept asking if my car was a series 5... I told him repeatedly it was a Tiger... He said he'd get back to me... crickets... I was finally able to get through to Martha and she made me a set.

maybe because you live so close and can actually meet up with him face to face you've had a better experience. I'm many thousands of miles away....

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I've bought from MacGregor since the 90's... he's always been really slow to get things out and non responsive to emails. hell, the prices on his webpage are more than 20 years out of date. as for old guys... at 62, I think I qualify... If I get senior discounts at the grocery store, anyway!

Like I said (wrote), I talked to him in the phone a month or two ago after having three emails not responded to... I was looking for carpets as he advertises them on his webpage and also was interested in getting some of the English natural jute... I also specifically asked about the windlace.. (which he does NOT have) When I talked to him, he kept asking if my car was a series 5... I told him repeatedly it was a Tiger... He said he'd get back to me... crickets... I was finally able to get through to Martha and she made me a set.

maybe because you live so close and can actually meet up with him face to face you've had a better experience. I'm many thousands of miles away....
So many suppliers that we depended on in years past are now at retirement age and several have retired or passed away. Having been an engineer at the Lynwood plant I would estimate Martin being in his 70's. Trust me when I say there are priorities when you get to that age so Martin may have other things going on. The market for Sunbeam parts has shrunk so the parts stock has shrunk as well. Now you know why I have a stock of just about anything I might need at some point for our cars. The wife got tired hearing me complain back in the late 70's that the Sunbeam was broken so as the years have moved on and the number of Beams in our garages has increased she has let me buy spares. The wife supports my sickness and lets me buy Sunbeam parts, literature and whatever I want whenever I want. I told her yesterday evening that she has a new steering wheel hub on order and she asked if her car needed one. The answer was no but just like the windshields we have a spare if needed. This area has a strong presence of street rodders so there are many shops that cater to that business and that helps.