A Tiger Story

Red Rocket

New forum user
Greetings, new guy to the forum here. I have had two of these great cars. Here's a story about my first.

As a teenager my first car was a Cooper "S". I was at a gymkhana race one day and saw a couple Tigers competing. I was really impressed. But even more impressed when leaving, because I followed the Tigers onto the highway, then saw them leave me in the dust. I couldn't keep up. So that's when my Tiger lust started.

My first car was a Poppy Red 66 Mk. 1A. It was pretty modified, had a hardtop, traction bars, hood scoop. The car had a vacuum gauge on the dash instead of a clock, which helped me learn how to maximize fuel mileage. The previous owner had drilled holes in the fuel cap and attached piano wire to it with a spring on the end and it attached to a post mounted inside the trunk by the wheel arch, to stop gas thieves. I liked that trick so much that I put that on my second car too.

The other thing about this car was that a previous owner had made a mahogany box which fit under the dash and contained a tape deck plus some other switches. Being an electronics buff myself, I set up a kill switch under the dash. Also, I wired up a switch to the brake lights, the tail lights and one to the license plate lights, so I could turn them off if wanted/needed.

This came in handy one night. I guess in my neighbourhood I was getting a reputation for bending the speed limit. Note: there was almost never any traffic on this road. One night I was roaring down this lovely curvy road on the way home, and in my rear-view I see a cop pull out and put on his disco lights. I hit the brake and taillight switches to turn them off. So I'm roaring down the road with headlights only. The road climbed up and went over the rise. Once past the crest I turned off the headlights too. About 100 yards further I made a hard left, went about 100 feet down the street, pulled into my parents driveway behind a few trees and turned it off. A few seconds later the cop goes roaring down the street flat out. My james bond tricked up car worked perfectly. File it under "stuff you can't/wouldn't do now".

Last edited:

Doug C

Gold forum user
Thanks

Thanks for sharing you story... but I do hope my sons doesn't try this.