a word of warning

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
Or no good deed goes unpunished... Rick Guest contacted me on behalf of a UK Tiger owner looking for remote oil filter hoses and adapters... Being the nice guy I am, I set up a paypal account to help him pay me.... HUGE MISTAKE. He paid.. He has rec'd the parts, He's happy. I'M NOT. Paypal refuses to release the funds to me. I'm out nearly $700.

My best advice... avoid paypal like the plague. I seem to have little in the way of recourse. I have contacted my State AG and they have contacted Paypal... No joy yet. Now I'm on a mission from Dog to dissuaded as many people I can from using Paypal. Will I make a difference, not likely... what other avenues do I have??

Jbetz812

Silver forum user
CAT Member
Seems things are as easy as once was, what is the reason they are giving for the hold of funds?

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
Seems things are as easy as once was, what is the reason they are giving for the hold of funds?
"because they can" really, that's what they said. They told me I need to process 4-5 more transactions. I told them I did not intend to process ANY additional transactions... they just keep coming back telling me to sell more... If I could crawl through the phone to Nebraska, there'd be blood. I don't know if I am communicating with AI, a chatbot, or someone who is inbred... at this point it hardly matters.

I told them I don't need customers, I could retire tomorrow.... They do....

When it gets to be too hard to sell the accumulated parts I have, I'll take them to the dump. I should have known better...

66Tiger

Bronze forum user
CAT Member
Or no good deed goes unpunished... Rick Guest contacted me on behalf of a UK Tiger owner looking for remote oil filter hoses and adapters... Being the nice guy I am, I set up a paypal account to help him pay me.... HUGE MISTAKE. He paid.. He has rec'd the parts, He's happy. I'M NOT. Paypal refuses to release the funds to me. I'm out nearly $700.

My best advice... avoid paypal like the plague. I seem to have little in the way of recourse. I have contacted my State AG and they have contacted Paypal... No joy yet. Now I'm on a mission from Dog to dissuaded as many people I can from using Paypal. Will I make a difference, not likely... what other avenues do I have??
Enquiring minds want to know...

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
You won't get paid until you give them info that allows them to issue a 1099 for tax purposes. I think this happens if the transaction is over $600.00?
they have that, and have had it since the beginning... that was the 1st hurdle, then they kept putting up more. now it's sell more shit, and we'll give you your money. sorry, trust has completely evaporated. I swear, it feels like I've been talking to an AI chatbot that was obviously a product of a brother and sister chatbot mating.... I've been given a half dozen reason why they aren't giving me the funds... on the 7th try, they start over again.
Enquiring minds want to know...
what would you like to know??

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
they have that, and have had it since the beginning... that was the 1st hurdle, then they kept putting up more. now it's sell more shit, and we'll give you your money. sorry, trust has completely evaporated. I swear, it feels like I've been talking to an AI chatbot that was obviously a product of a brother and sister chatbot mating.... I've been given a half dozen reason why they aren't giving me the funds... on the 7th try, they start over again.

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member

I've seen it take over a week before the money was deposited to my account. You can't just go in and pull the money like we once did. Say "thanks" to your friends at the XXX.

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
I've seen it take over a week before the money was deposited to my account. You can't just go in and pull the money like we once did. Say "thanks" to your friends at the XXX.
we're going on nearly 1 month.... Like I said... try walking into your local grocery store and carting out $700 of steaks... I doubt they'll say "OK" if you tell them you'll pay them in a month, IF... you like the steaks. You'll end up in jail...

I imagine that Paypal holds many 10's of thousands of dollars just like they are doing to me... nice side hustle for interest. They tried to tell me it was like an escrow account... I told them, they wouldn't get to keep the interest if it was escrow...

Seems like a class action suit for an aspiring ambulance chaser......

IvaTiger

Gold forum user
"because they can" really, that's what they said. They told me I need to process 4-5 more transactions. I told them I did not intend to process ANY additional transactions... they just keep coming back telling me to sell more... If I could crawl through the phone to Nebraska, there'd be blood. I don't know if I am communicating with AI, a chatbot, or someone who is inbred... at this point it hardly matters.

I told them I don't need customers, I could retire tomorrow.... They do....

When it gets to be too hard to sell the accumulated parts I have, I'll take them to the dump. I should have known better...
Can you set up to sell 4 or 5 bolts to 4 or 5 friends each having a transaction and sell them at 10 cents a piece ? That would fill their quota of sales and can then release the funds

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Two (more?) years ago our PayPal acct was hacked. After the usual back & forth bull, I gave the family shiny suit the info and she has been trying to get our money back ever since. Our local AG and NH Governor are car buddies, so that our support on the matter is strong. But the enormous & mighty PayPal would rather stall forever than pay up. It's sad consumer treatment fer sure.

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
Can you set up to sell 4 or 5 bolts to 4 or 5 friends each having a transaction and sell them at 10 cents a piece ? That would fill their quota of sales and can then release the funds
Tony, I have no desire to have a paypal account... I only opened it to facilitate a payment from a guy in Blighty... besides, they'd just record everything I sell and send a 1099 to the IRS... I'm retired on disability (8 back surgeries, plus a heart surgery and kidney issues) and I hardly need the aggravation.

Randy,

mine was hacked as well, so I closed it. I was on for 10 years... you'd think that they'd recognize the email as it hasn't changed (in over 30 years). The bottom line is that they don't give a crap. They're in it for the money at any cost... just banking on the supposition that people are stupid. I had a response earlier today that I should just wait them out (this from Paypal) I asked, why on earth would I do that when I can cancel the transaction and rob them of their fees and just have the client wire me the money. Their employees are even more stupid that they think their customers are.... a sad state of affairs to be sure... But if you peruse Ebay you will see that the general public can't spell for shit and has no idea what grammar is. My baseline for buying things is, if the seller can't spell and (obviously doesn't care), I don't want to buy anything from him/them. God forbid I get my gender pronouns wrong... But then, I am obviously an elitist swine!

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Tony, I have no desire to have a paypal account... I only opened it to facilitate a payment from a guy in Blighty... besides, they'd just record everything I sell and send a 1099 to the IRS... I'm retired on disability (8 back surgeries, plus a heart surgery and kidney issues) and I hardly need the aggravation.

Randy,

mine was hacked as well, so I closed it. I was on for 10 years... you'd think that they'd recognize the email as it hasn't changed (in over 30 years). The bottom line is that they don't give a crap. They're in it for the money at any cost... just banking on the supposition that people are stupid. I had a response earlier today that I should just wait them out (this from Paypal) I asked, why on earth would I do that when I can cancel the transaction and rob them of their fees and just have the client wire me the money. Their employees are even more stupid that they think their customers are.... a sad state of affairs to be sure... But if you peruse Ebay you will see that the general public can't spell for shit and has no idea what grammar is. My baseline for buying things is, if the seller can't spell and (obviously doesn't care), I don't want to buy anything from him/them. God forbid I get my gender pronouns wrong... But then, I am obviously an elitist swine!
There are some members of this forum that know I don't ship until the money is in the account attached to my PaPal. Have you already shipped? Maybe the buyer cancelled the payment transaction or it didn't clear the buyers bank account.

mr55s

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I had Paypal converting US dollars to Canadian and charging me for that also. I told them no direction was given to them to do so. I also told them I am happy to stop using them and to ask buyers to send me a bank draft. They didn’t like that. Buyers were all too happy to oblige.

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
There are some members of this forum that know I don't ship until the money is in the account attached to my PaPal. Have you already shipped? Maybe the buyer cancelled the payment transaction or it didn't clear the buyers bank account.
there are no issues at the buyer's end... this is all paypal and their greed for money. They've got their percentage, the buyer has his parts.... they're just hanging on to the payment to get that much more for interest... It's totally unethical and illegal... It's just a matter for some enterprising attorney who wants to start a class action suit...

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
i'll never use paypal again. I don't NEED to sell parts. I'm not struggling for income... I just wanted to help someone who needed something I had... That's not going to happen again. a private joke between me and Brian... If I have 12 parts and sell one, I'll only have 11.... why would I do that???

strictly cash and carry now....

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
I'm not selling ANYTHING outside of the USA now. No exceptions. I've learned my lesson.... Can't drive your car because you can't get the parts.... too bad.

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I had Paypal converting US dollars to Canadian and charging me for that also. I told them no direction was given to them to do so. I also told them I am happy to stop using them and to ask buyers to send me a bank draft. They didn’t like that. Buyers were all too happy to oblige.
there are no issues at the buyer's end... this is all paypal and their greed for money. They've got their percentage, the buyer has his parts.... they're just hanging on to the payment to get that much more for interest... It's totally unethical and illegal... It's just a matter for some enterprising attorney who wants to start a class action suit...
I was one of many involved in a class action law suit filed against a lease to buy company that I ordered a drive on lift from. The courts ordered that the leasing company make payments to buyers but that was 2019 and I've never seen a check.

Hoghead

Gold forum user
I'm not selling ANYTHING outside of the USA now. No exceptions. I've learned my lesson.... Can't drive your car because you can't get the parts.... too bad.

The problem is not that he is in the UK, and you would have had the same problem of Paypal hanging onto your money with a US Buyer.
Play their game, and invoice 5 bolts. Once you have met their history requirement, payment is immediate - that is not to say that they still are without issue

A US only policy leaves ethical purchasers with no ability to buy in the US
There is no interoperability between US and Canadian banks, so things like Zelle in the US, or Interac in Canada, will not work for payment by an individual. A cross border cheque is a problem unless one has a USD chequing account, so that leaves trekking to the bank for an expensive wire or bank draft (similar to a US cashiers cheque). As much as I despise Paypal, there are few alternatives for international transactions.

One of the few alternatives are non-bank internet transfers. One is Wise www.wise.com and I have been using them for several years to send myself money internationally every month, but also for international purchases. I prefer people to pay me using Wise - low fee, fair exchange rate, easy, safe, and far cheaper than the banks.
Some Buyers cannot be bothered to set it up, and prefer the ease of ubiquitous Paypal

The problem seems to be that Paypal wants to hang onto your money, and will not release YOUR money until X number of transactions. Just wait until some wanker claims that he did not receive the part, or claims any problem whatsoever, then see how you like Paypal..........Besides their high handed attitude, their fee, rip off exchange rate, imposed currency exchange from USD to (in my case) CAD, and most annoyingly the international transaction fee, are icing on the shit cake.