a word of warning

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
The problem is not that he is in the UK, and you would have had the same problem of Paypal hanging onto your money with a US Buyer.
Play their game, and invoice 5 bolts. Once you have met their history requirement, payment is immediate - that is not to say that they still are without issue

A US only policy leaves ethical purchasers with no ability to buy in the US
There is no interoperability between US and Canadian banks, so things like Zelle in the US, or Interac in Canada, will not work for payment by an individual. A cross border cheque is a problem unless one has a USD chequing account, so that leaves trekking to the bank for an expensive wire or bank draft (similar to a US cashiers cheque). As much as I despise Paypal, there are few alternatives for international transactions.

One of the few alternatives are non-bank internet transfers. One is Wise www.wise.com and I have been using them for several years to send myself money internationally every month, but also for international purchases. I prefer people to pay me using Wise - low fee, fair exchange rate, easy, safe, and far cheaper than the banks.
Some Buyers cannot be bothered to set it up, and prefer the ease of ubiquitous Paypal

The problem seems to be that Paypal wants to hang onto your money, and will not release YOUR money until X number of transactions. Just wait until some wanker claims that he did not receive the part, or claims any problem whatsoever, then see how you like Paypal..........Besides their high handed attitude, their fee, rip off exchange rate, imposed currency exchange from USD to (in my case) CAD, and most annoyingly the international transaction fee, are icing on the shit cake.
In the USA I just tell people to send me a check. nobody in the Tiger community has ever stiffed me.

Hoghead

Gold forum user
not going to play their game. will refund and use wise or do a bank transfer.

I just went through this, and PayPals refund to the Buyer is less than he paid, due to the difference in the buy/sell exchange rate.
PP manages to screw one every way possible

Last edited:

sandy

Gold forum user
CAT Member
PP is only good if you are a buyer, fees as a seller are just crazy. I'll add if you are buying something from eBay with paypal the hit on the seller is crazy. I often try to find the seller directly and if a business hit them up helping them skip the ebay/paypal fees which they are often grateful (some added risk). I have had PP actually cover a couple of losses, it was difficult but got ripped on a purchase or two but after a week of bugging them had them fully refunded.

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
refunded the buyer, closed the paypal account. He's doing a wire transfer. what I should have done from the beginning.

Agent 861

Silver forum user
CAT Member
The problem is not that he is in the UK, and you would have had the same problem of Paypal hanging onto your money with a US Buyer.
Play their game, and invoice 5 bolts. Once you have met their history requirement, payment is immediate - that is not to say that they still are without issue

There is no interoperability between US and Canadian banks, so things like Zelle in the US, or Interac in Canada, will not work for payment by an individual. A cross border cheque is a problem unless one has a USD chequing account, so that leaves trekking to the bank for an expensive wire or bank draft (similar to a US cashiers cheque). As much as I despise Paypal, there are few alternatives for international transactions.

One of the few alternatives are non-bank internet transfers. One is Wise www.wise.com and I have been using them for several years to send myself money internationally every month, but also for international purchases. I prefer people to pay me using Wise - low fee, fair exchange rate, easy, safe, and far cheaper than the banks.
Some Buyers cannot be bothered to set it up, and prefer the ease of ubiquitous Paypal

The problem seems to be that Paypal wants to hang onto your money, and will not release YOUR money until X number of transactions. Just wait until some wanker claims that he did not receive the part, or claims any problem whatsoever, then see how you like Paypal..........Besides their high handed attitude, their fee, rip off exchange rate, imposed currency exchange from USD to (in my case) CAD, and most annoyingly the international transaction fee, are icing on the shit cake.
I agree out of the US we have little options -Last purchase I did (with Sean as it happens ) I went to a money exchange and obtained US currency which I then sent to him . I'm told it is illegal for me to post money overseas but I guess only if you get caught ! I have used Paypal and they are convenient but expensive - I will look at www.wise.com

spmdr

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I had an issue with PP and tried to get back

transactions and/or balance statements.

No can do.

this was a few years ago.

I no longer keep a balance with PP!

Good luck with PP!!

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I had an issue with PP and tried to get back

transactions and/or balance statements.

No can do.

this was a few years ago.

I no longer keep a balance with PP!

Good luck with PP!!
As one person said today, It's all there in the fine print.

Austin Healer

Gold forum user

Paypal is running a side hustle, holding on to funds for the interest, Ebay does this as well. They state that you agree to this in their terms of use. My response was, you cannot hold someone to an agreement for an illegal act...unless you're the mob. I will not sell on Ebay, I will not use Paypal. I don't need to sell parts, this is what I get for trying to help someone out. In the future for overseas sales, people are going to have to send me a check drawn on a bank payable in USD. I use a credit union and they don't do overseas wire transfers, or work with Zelle, WISE or any of the other money transfer apps... I chose a credit union as the recipient of my disability checks via direct deposit.. (8 back surgeries) I process payments through them to shield my regular checking/savings accounts. In any event, I have a stupid phone, so I don't have apps anyway. I contacted the purchaser in the UK and refunded his payment with Paypal. No fees for them. He's sending me a wire to an alternate bank account. I don't bank online as I have had my account emptied due to identity theft. I don't like to expose my regular banking info because of that.

at the beach

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I've done hundreds, perhaps thousands of PayPal transactions without problems. I find it especially easy when dealing with foreign payments/currencies.
Maybe I've just been very, very lucky. However I have chosen to cooperate with PayPal's policies such as secondary identity verification instead of resisting. Maybe that has helped.

When sending money overseas as a transfer or as a check I've found the recipient frequently incurs huge charges. The only money I regularly receive from overseas are checks from Canada where I also get hit with heavy fees for both handling a foreign check and for the currency exchange.

Buck

pfreen

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I am glad someone likes paypal. I have used paypal to buy many many parts. I have been repaid for three items in which the seller did not respond and no amount of calling or emails could resolve the issue.

I bought a limited slip differential from Nitro gear for my Tiger. I received the parts fine but they would not work in a Tiger rear end, which Nitro Gear sold it for.
After returning the lsd, I never heard anything from Nitro Gear. I alerted paypal, which I had luckily used to buy it. After a month or so, I got my money refunded from paypal.

Perhaps paypal really puts the burden on sellers. However, it has been very good to me as a buyer.

I have sold a few items using paypal, but it has been for less than $200 and is a one off type of thing. I have never experienced a problem.

Agent 861

Silver forum user
CAT Member
I am glad someone likes paypal. I have used paypal to buy many many parts. I have been repaid for three items in which the seller did not respond and no amount of calling or emails could resolve the issue.

I bought a limited slip differential from Nitro gear for my Tiger. I received the parts fine but they would not work in a Tiger rear end, which Nitro Gear sold it for.
After returning the lsd, I never heard anything from Nitro Gear. I alerted paypal, which I had luckily used to buy it. After a month or so, I got my money refunded from paypal.

Perhaps paypal really puts the burden on sellers. However, it has been very good to me as a buyer.

I have sold a few items using paypal, but it has been for less than $200 and is a one off type of thing. I have never experienced a problem.
Never sold anything by Paypal but have done lots of purchases . I would have thought the seller was ok as if I was selling I wouldn't dispatch the goods until the money was in my account . Some sellers also ask you to use the friend and family transfer function -This means you pay the fees -I believe that invalidates your protections under Paypal rules -However to date never had an issue .-Often I am buying by ebay which has its own buyer and seller protection policies. If a seller doesn't want paypal I can get an international Money order Payable on a USA bank but it takes ages to organize as I have to physically go into the bank -which since COVID has never returned to full opening hours and then post it off at the post office again in person . I work an average of 65 hours per week which makes all that difficult -In short I have to really want or need the item I am buying.

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Never sold anything by Paypal but have done lots of purchases . I would have thought the seller was ok as if I was selling I wouldn't dispatch the goods until the money was in my account . Some sellers also ask you to use the friend and family transfer function -This means you pay the fees -I believe that invalidates your protections under Paypal rules -However to date never had an issue .-Often I am buying by ebay which has its own buyer and seller protection policies. If a seller doesn't want paypal I can get an international Money order Payable on a USA bank but it takes ages to organize as I have to physically go into the bank -which since COVID has never returned to full opening hours and then post it off at the post office again in person . I work an average of 65 hours per week which makes all that difficult -In short I have to really want or need the item I am buying.
I've sold close to 1100 transactions and only accept payment thru PayPal. Never had a problem except when the procedure pertaining to getting a 1099 after number of transactions or dollar amount went into effect. After payments totaled $600.00 they held the money until I supplied them my info needed for a 1099. The money did get deposited to my designated bank account a few days later. I use PayPal for payments of what I buy but I do use the PayPal Smart Connect credit card for payments. This does cover me since I do buy from several sellers in other countries. I did have a problem with a seller once after he contacted me after payment using PayPal to tell me that he wasn't going to ship everything I bought due to some pieces not working and if he didn't ship the speakers his shipping cost would be less than what I had already paid him for shipping and there would be no refund of the shipping cost difference. Eventually I did get everything I paid for after contacting E Bay and PayPal.