Adding A/C....let's discuss it

Carbuilder

Silver forum user
Progressing here from "let's discuss it" to "let's actually do it!".

I bought the Vintage Air under-dash unit. This is heat and A/C:

Screenshot 2024-01-19 at 5.18.12 PM.jpg

And of course we must take things apart:

Screenshot 2024-01-17 at 2.53.04 PM.jpg

The idea is to mount the unit behind the new dash and put the outlets in the dash. The controls would also be mounted in the dash. So it is sort of like taking the whole front panel from the unit and mounting it in the dash. But I don't want the look of a separate unit poking through the dash, or hanging under it.

I modelled the original dash on the computer and then modified it to suit. This is what I have now. The ends are unchanged from the stock dash. The changes start where the dash drops down for the vents and radio:

Screenshot 2024-02-01 at 8.24.49 PM.png

This incorporates the gauges that are currently in the dash, the A/C vents and controls, a place for a radio, and places for the various switches. I've always liked the look of rocker switches on a dash (love the XKE's with the long row of rocker switches!). I bought these switches from New Wire Marine:

Screenshot 2024-02-02 at 12.14.42 PM.jpg

They come in various electric configurations depending on how many circuits you want to control and how you want them controlled. And the neat thing is that they have dozens of different switch covers with various labels, but you can also create your own. You mock it up on their website and they make it. The head light and defrost are custom ones I did.

The plan is to have the headlight switch at the top near the small gauges, the wiper and washer beside the radio, and the defrost and a blank on the left. That of course may change, but that's the plan right now.

To see how this looks and fits I made a mockup of it. I realize the dash outside of the central part is not changing, so no need to mock that up. I made a centre piece from cardboard and mounted some of the gauges and bolted it in place:

Screenshot 2024-01-19 at 5.17.54 PM.jpg

Looks really good! The A/C unit will mount about an inch or so behind the dash (with some sort of foam seal between it and the dash outlets). It will pretty much be hidden. Good outlet position for the passenger and not bad for the driver. I didn't have the lower switches mocked up at this point.

Next step is to mount the A/C unit and see if everything looks OK.

I'm very pleased with how this is coming along.

Rick

HolyCat

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Rick,

Thanks for keeping us up to date with your project. It looks like you are doing a fabulous job and I can't wait to see the finished project!

Carbuilder

Silver forum user
Gonna get really busy in an already crowded spot!
If you are talking about the engine compartment with an added compressor, it will get slightly busier, but should work out. If you are talking about the dash area, as the song goes, "you ain't seen nothing yet". ;)

Carbuilder

Silver forum user
Got the evaporator mounted. Temporary at this stage to see how things fit, but the final mount will be pretty much the same. Two side mount brackets and one at the rear:

Screenshot 2024-02-02 at 8.24.54 PM.jpg

I found convenient threaded holes to use for the side mounts; the steering column bracket mounts. On the drivers side the steering column clamp will go on top of my bracket. On the passenger side it is conveniently not used for LHD cars. I also added an additional threaded insert on each side for a little extra support:

Screenshot 2024-02-02 at 8.25.13 PM.jpg

Then put my mocked-up dash piece in to see how it all looks and fits:

Screenshot 2024-02-02 at 8.09.52 PM.jpg

Screenshot 2024-02-02 at 8.26.16 PM.jpg

Screenshot 2024-02-02 at 8.26.37 PM.jpg

It all looks good. Mocking up a full dash now with things rearranged a bit to see how it all looks.

Rick

Carbuilder

Silver forum user
I've made a couple full dash mockups from 1/4" plywood to see how everything looks. The first one, from sort of a driver prospective:

Screenshot 2024-02-18 at 3.51.15 PM.jpg

The layout of instruments, vents, radio, and switches looks good. The radio can't go any higher as the rear of it is very close to the A/C evaporator unit. Looks like it is a bit close to my leg, but no reason my leg would be lifted to hit that corner of the dash. But then I modified the bottom portion to this:

Screenshot 2024-02-18 at 3.51.58 PM.jpg

Couldn't move the radio up, but I could move the switches up. This puts the radio a bit lower, but that area (above the centre console) is sort of wasted space anyways. More side-to-side leg room on both sides. I think I am going to go with this arrangement. I'll just tweak it a bit; the radio and switches can move up a little more. The next one will probably be cut from 1/2" plywood, and may be the final one. If I like it and everything looks good I'll get some veneer for it.

Quite pleased with how this is coming along.

Rick

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
I've made a couple full dash mockups from 1/4" plywood to see how everything looks. The first one, from sort of a driver prospective:

View attachment 19037

The layout of instruments, vents, radio, and switches looks good. The radio can't go any higher as the rear of it is very close to the A/C evaporator unit. Looks like it is a bit close to my leg, but no reason my leg would be lifted to hit that corner of the dash. But then I modified the bottom portion to this:

View attachment 19038

Couldn't move the radio up, but I could move the switches up. This puts the radio a bit lower, but that area (above the centre console) is sort of wasted space anyways. More side-to-side leg room on both sides. I think I am going to go with this arrangement. I'll just tweak it a bit; the radio and switches can move up a little more. The next one will probably be cut from 1/2" plywood, and may be the final one. If I like it and everything looks good I'll get some veneer for it.

Quite pleased with how this is coming along.

Rick
I like the 2nd one just for safety's sake!