Alloy air cleaner update

65sunbeam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I had a display at SUNI showing the alloy Tiger air cleaner I was going to have made again 40 years after they were last produced.
I had bought the original patterns and it took some time to find a foundry that still did old school sandcasting. Yesterday I got the first test pour sample! Still some work to be done to the pattern to fix a few items but I hope to have about 50 sets of them made in the next few months. Plans are to offer as complete sets or just the top plate if desired. Also options to buy the air cleaner "as cast" and the buyer polish and paint or I will also offer them polished and painted in various colors-silver gray Hammerite, or black crinkle finish and with both having polished high lights. Pricing is still to be worked out. Photos show one of the original alloy air cleaners and the test pour sample. Also shown are the names of the original Tiger owning creators of these air cleaners and a serial number area. I will stamp sequential numbers taking up where they left off. I also have the log book they kept showing each number and who the new owner was. A cast Tiger head will come with each air cleaner to fasten the air cleaner to the carb!

Alloy air cleaner complete.jpg

Alloy Tiger heads.jpg

DSC04974.JPG

DSC04977.JPG

65sunbeam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Well this two year+ project is finally going somewhere! I got the rough castings from the foundry last week and now the bottom plates are being machined and cleaned up. I will start polishing the tops and prepping them for the same silver/gray hammertone finish as the original steel air cleaners or if you want a different color I can do that too. Also I will sell just the tops painted or unpolished and you can do the polishing. I can't finalize the price yet until I get them back from the machinist. I will have some at the upcoming TEAE United. Thanks for being patient! Eric

DSC06591.JPG

DSC06589.JPG

Last edited:

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Eric are these very heavy ? I got one of the originals years back and until I picked up the box I had been shocked by the shipping cost... But dann they were heavy!

ABSunbeams

Gold forum user
Mike- If you compare it to the stamped steel air cleaner. Try the Tiger oil pan cast aluminum, that’s very heavy!

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Mike- If you compare it to the stamped steel air cleaner. Try the Tiger oil pan cast aluminum, that’s very heavy!
I've never picked up an alloy tiger sump . But have an alloy alpine one .. and they are seven smaller and really add some pounds... The Tiger alloy sump must be about the best looking way to make a Tiger handle even worse than stock 🤣

Austin Healer

Gold forum user
I used to have one of these that went with my buddy bar valve covers. I swear I saved at least 30 lbs going back to stamped steel parts... but, they do look cool as hell!

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Randy.. did you have that on when you inverted your car back in the day....😂
YUP ; it survived. The car, on the other hand, became a collection of cannibalized or hand made panel work. It did pass TAC muster and sits in the garage somewhat brand new now.

Last edited:

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
YUP ; it survived. The car, on the other hand, became a collection of cannibalized or hand made panel work. It did pass TAC muster and sits in the garage somewhat brand new now.
I'm surprised you managed to invert with that much weight down low... 🤭

woody6

Silver forum user
CAT Member
If one may ask, what will the price be on the repro/continuation air cleaners?

65sunbeam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
If one may ask, what will the price be on the repro/continuation air cleaners?
Still waiting for final cost from my friend doing the machine work on the bottom section of the air cleaner. Pricing will be around $600 for the set. Or an unfinished set (you polish) for around $400.

65sunbeam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I am getting a group of six alloy air cleaners ready to take to the TE/AE United in Kentucky.
All sanding was done outside to keep the metal dust out of my garage-and I found a use for the COVID masks too. Warren that is your air cleaner bolted down on the bench being sanded! The buffing will come next. Then I will be painting them crinkle black, hammertone silver, or leave unfinished to give choices to buyers. I will also take some unfinished sets to sell if you want to finish them yourself. I am sure that Warren will be glad to show his off when he gets it!
DSC06605.JPG

Last edited:

65sunbeam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I painted the first batch today. Black wrinkle paint, silver hammertone, and one plain unpainted one as a comparison. Wow that wrinkle paint works fast in 90+ degree heat and full sunshine! Next is to remove paint from polished parts and pack up for the United....
DSC08600.JPG
DSC08602.JPG

jimm

Bronze forum user
CAT Member
Are the castings thicker than the AC sheet metal housings? I have so little clearance under the hood that I have to run a max 1" filter to not interfere.

I like the look to go with my LAT valve covers, but won't work if I cannot close the hood

65sunbeam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Yes they are thicker. I sell just the tops if you want to use with the original AC metal bottom plate.