Wanted Alpine SII seats

subforry

Bronze forum user
CAT Member
Hi all,

I just acquired a Alpine SII to replace the one I sold years ago. I'm looking for seats. At a minimum I need the frames.

Thanks,
Cole

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Hi all,

I just acquired a Alpine SII to replace the one I sold years ago. I'm looking for seats. At a minimum I need the frames.

Thanks,
Cole
Cole...I can suggest speaking to Eric (65sunbeam) also Robert Jaarsman (not on CAT) ....

Do you want the sII seats to be correct.... Otherwise I would recommend the series 3/IV microcell seats, which can be fitted to the early cars and are much more comfortable and adjustable... And still sunbeam parts.

subforry

Bronze forum user
CAT Member
It's a hard to decide, especially since the new pads are available for SIII and up. Although it seems like the SII seat pads are simple and an upholstery shop could make them.

The car is very original, except for the seats. I am inspired to restore it as original. And I only plan use the car on a short commute or to get a burger.

I am open to thought on this, thanks.

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
It's a hard to decide, especially since the new pads are available for SIII and up. Although it seems like the SII seat pads are simple and an upholstery shop could make them.

The car is very original, except for the seats. I am inspired to restore it as original. And I only plan use the car on a short commute or to get a burger.

I am open to thought on this, thanks.
Well....if wanting original.. but upgrade .. can get the optional microcell contour racing buckets.... Also used in the LM Harringtons

subforry

Bronze forum user
CAT Member
My search has come up empty (sort of). So now I am looking for SIII seats, any condition, preferably in the southern CA area.

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
My search has come up empty (sort of). So now I am looking for SIII seats, any condition, preferably in the southern CA area.
When you say series 3 seats....what do you mean?
The micorcell seats were used on S3-V and tiger.

There are some detail differences over the years..

Very early series 3 they have a split backrest and the front thigh squab is also a seperate cushion... By mid S3 it is a single lower squab (you'd have to make your own lower squab foams for this type and covers)

Mid S3-IV/mki Tiger are all the same ... Seperate rear squab and single base squab. Pirelli webbing straps to support.

SV/mkia .. single squab rear and base.. more pleats.. diaphragm rubber support the base.

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
The photos of the red seats are for the LeMans. The frame is a one piece unit with the bottom cushion having flaps on three sides with snaps to fasten it to the frame. The seat frames without coverings are for a series 4 with the loose flap back. The black seats are the finished product. The fourth photo shows the straps used under the seats for a series 3 or 4. This photo was taken prior to the restoration of the frames. The series 5 used a similar two piece seat frame but had a one piece rubber diaphragm under the seat. Series 3 thru 5 had what could be called an adjustable back or tilt back in todays words.

109_0674.JPG

107_0205.JPG

107_1002.JPG

107_0023.JPG

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
The photo of my green series 4 shows the seat mounting frame. The photo of the white car is one of my LeMans showing the seat mounts. The track bolts to the floor at the front and the back of the seat track bolts to the square bracket welded to the under seat floor. This mounting was used on all series 1 & 2 Alpines.

107_0597.JPG

PTDC0205.JPG

subforry

Bronze forum user
CAT Member
Falling down the seat rabbit hole!

Thanks for info, I'm not sure I get it all yet. Are all the seat interchangeable in regards to mounting points? I don't mind some fab work if needed.
What seats have the most parts (covers, pads, straps) available? I would want Lake Blue covers. Looking at the Sunbeam Specialties catalog, it seems like most S3 and onward parts are available. But the catalog don't seem to make a distinction about early S3.

Then again maybe, I might just have to take what I can find or go with a modern solution. Has anyone used Procar seats?

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member

Thanks for info, I'm not sure I get it all yet. Are all the seat interchangeable in regards to mounting points? I don't mind some fab work if needed.
What seats have the most parts (covers, pads, straps) available? I would want Lake Blue covers. Looking at the Sunbeam Specialties catalog, it seems like most S3 and onward parts are available. But the catalog don't seem to make a distinction about early S3.

Then again maybe, I might just have to take what I can find or go with a modern solution. Has anyone used Procar seats?
I believe the series 3 frames are the same, only the cushions and their construction were different. The series 1 & 2 tracks have a pin at the rear which matches the opening at the rear of the seat frame. Series 3 thru 5 seat tracks do not have the pin. They use a rubber pad for the seat frame to set on. The seat tracks for the series 1&2 seems to be a stronger construction due to the track bridging an open area to the back mounts. If you open the Tigers East / Alpines East web site you'll see the stock Alpine judging guide. It has many photos of stock Alpine info.

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member

The unique early S3 parts are the lower covers and cushions and not available from SS iirc.

The late series 3/IV covers will all work though.
The frames for the S3-V are essentially the same bar some detail difference ( holes for the wires for the seperate backrests, holes for the mounts for the webbing vs diaphragm)

The microcell seats are well catered for. The series 3/IV with the seperate backrest are nicer than the SV (mki tiger vs ia/ii)

The mounts for the early and late seats are different due to slight difference in floor pans but easily resolved.

As for aftermarket seats, I fitted cobra classic bucket seats to my SII with their universal runner kit back in 1997... they are good but sit you slightly higher