Another leak.....WTH!

Duke Mk1a

Gold forum user
001-18.jpg

Have the front main fixed and the oil pan gasket. Now this. I don't believe it leaks when running, only sitting. If it is the rear main, I am going to punch some puppies :mad:

Wouldn't the rear main leak on the flywheel side of the plate?

65beam

Gold forum user
CAT Member
leak

duke,
call doug jennings . there was a tiger that doug restored a few years back that the owner blew the engine on I 90 in s.dakota in 2009. when they built a new engine,he had the same type of leak. doug probably knows what mike had done to it to stop the leak. i think mike had the engine out about three times before a solution was found.

wag123

Gold forum user
Check your valve cover gaskets (and tightness of the valve cover bolts). I had the very same kind of leak and discovered that it was coming from the driver's side valve cover gasket on top of the engine (next to the intake manifold). It took me a very long time to find this oil leak. The lesson that I learned was... Don't assume that the oil is leaking from where you see it. With this in mind, the oil could also be leaking from the rear of your intake manifold. In either case the oil will run down the back of the block and appear where you see it.

Duke Mk1a

Gold forum user
Thanks guys!

Will do some checking. The possibility of it leaking higher makes a lot of sense. Thats why it continues to leak for some time after the engine is stopped.

Quick hand check....top of heads at VC and rear intake manifold are bone dry. I'll pull the carb off so I can check the back much better. CAM freeze plug?

Last edited:

wag123

Gold forum user
I didn't actually see the oil leak I had until I removed the driver's side valve cover. The valve cover itself hid the leak, that is why it took so long to find it. If you have a leak in this area you won't be able to feel or see the oil. Cut a piece of brown paper bag, fold it, and push it into the area between the valve cover and the intake manifold mounting flange. If there is oil in that area you should see it on the folded paper bag.
A cam plug leak is also a possibility. If this is the case, you will probably want to live with it.

Duke Mk1a

Gold forum user
Thanks Wag,

I have AFR heads which may change this a bit. I pulled the carb and heat shield yesterday. This gives me a clear shot to the back of the intake manifold and top of the rear of the block. Everything is bone dry back there, no oil what so ever. So, whatever the leak is it’s on the back of the engine. Depending on if the leak increases, this will be a post car show season project to pull the engine and find the leak. Duke not happy!

Maybe the leak will just stop itself......I can only hope.

FrankS

Silver forum user
been there

I pulled the motor once only to find it leaking from the very back of the valve cover once again I felt like a fool :) The car I just bought is leaving a quarter size drop after every drive, I bought a drip pan:)

Duke Mk1a

Gold forum user
Just bought a drip pan...........:(

It will allow me to really keep an eye on the leak and if it is increasing or decreasing.

Maliburevue

Gold forum user
CAT Member
Leak

One piece or two piece rear main seal?

Early, late or new block?

One piece molded pan gasket or individual pieces?

michael-king

Gold forum user
CAT Member
So, whatever the leak is it’s on the back of the engine. Depending on if the leak increases, this will be a post car show season project to pull the engine and find the leak. Duke not happy!

Maybe the leak will just stop itself......I can only hope.

Duke, seems the engine has taken on the british charecteristics of the car... just remeber if a british car is not leaking oil.. its empty :mad:

0neoffive

Gold forum user
CAT Member
It Depends

A few Christmas' ago, the bride wandered into the shop with a crate full of those 2' X 2' X 1/4" thick oil soakers. "Since all these things are aged antiques, they should be wearing depends". For those of you who toured the coastal Maine Transportation Museum, remember that everyone of those rigs had a pan w/diaper.

67tiger

Gold forum user
CAT Member
I've got the same leak on my new engine, I'm assuming it is the oil pan seal to the rear, a simple fix, but I'll use way more gasket seal next time around. I will agree with some of your responders that my first go around with this issue was a result of a leaking valve cover gasket, and may be the problem now as well. What I have noticed which leads me to believe it is the rear pan seal is that there is no leak when it is on all fours, when the front is jacked up in the air is when it leaks. Like you I hate leaks, and on a new and very clean and meticulous restoration it drives me nuts. I will say this every engine I've had in this car, three, they all have had this issue. Apparently I don't get it when it comes to pan gasket installation, I may hire the next one done so I have someone to bitch at. Good luck! And let us know what you find.